What is the relationship/difference between...

Rustam Bana

Rustam - I'll leave the details of where to Paul but I can help out on the other.

A rod blank, based on the way it was designed, will have an action somewhere from slow to extra fast. Those terms generally describe the way the rod will bend under load.

If you have, for instance, a rod rated at 4 pound test curve, that means the rod will bend to 90º if you hang a 4lb weight from the tip. However, the 'speed' of the blank will determine which section of the rod does the bending under the normal rated load. With all but a 'slow' blank, the remainder will bend but not easily.

Some excellent details at This page but Paul is recommending a rod that has a Fast action and once it has flexed in the tip 1/4, it will be much more difficult to get it to bend further which gives you lots of reserve power.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUDGIE:

Im nice to every one Paul....even you!   :P   oh okay I admit to being a little terse with Charlie Bettel

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, not wise that Budgie!! You might upset his groupies!!

Reckon we should import a few marseer into a UK still-water .

Rustam Bana:

I have recently put in my application to join WASI and they now (recently) have a new stretch in the Shivsamudra area - from Forbes Sagar and stretching up to Pipeline road.

Because of dynamite fishing in the canals, the electricity board is keen to given WASI even more waterways to fish and protect. So if you ever fancy fishing in these parts let me know.

Rustam

Pleased to hear about the increased protection, Rustam. The Cauvery canals can hold enormous fish (Note, Brit anglers: these canals are large fast-flowing affairs, totally unlike our own), and I well remember that my largest lure-caught Cauvery mahseer came from one of them - from the Headworks canal at Sivasamudram, at night, on 18 lb-test line, on a black-and-silver floating Rapala Magnum plug. Remember the fish? No - I'll never forget it - the devastatingly powerful take in the darkness and the mad battle that followed! The fish weighed 60 pounds.

If you have further details about the new conservation effort (I was a very early member of WASI, and was the man who recruited Sundar Raj to Jungle Lodges and Resorts, by the way, working as I did back then for both TigerTops India and JL&R their new South India subsidiary), drop me a personal message, Rustam, and I will reply to you by email.

PB

[ 12. July 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, not wise that Budgie!! You might upset his groupies!!

Wanna fight with me, happy to oblige on another thread. Now this ones getting interesting, try to let it run its course without your usual dimwit comments.

[ 12. July 2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It seems to me Rustam that you have the same problem that afflicts most of us...you need more than one set of tackle. From Budgie's observations and what I remember from the mahseer vids that I watched, plus Paul's realistic confirmation of the tackle requirements, it would seem likely that a decent uptider is the way to go for mahseer and something carpish for the rest. I'm sure you're capable of walking and chewing at the same time, but since you have a steep fishing learning curve to deal with, it might be best to concentrate on one species at a time. I envy you the prospect of cutting your fishing teeth on mahseer, I started with the humble gudgeon.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Newt,

Thanks once again for taking the time to explain.

Much appreciated.

Rustam

P.S.: What are lures or poppers?

[ 12. July 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Rustam Bana ]

Lures - artificial constructs used to fool fish into thinking a piece of wood/metal/plastic is food.

Posted Image

A popper is a surface lure (floats) with a front end shaped so as to make a popping sound when the angler gives it a tug.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello Paul.

You obviously know this area very well. I was at Kabini River Lodge some years back and have very fond memories of that place. (For other members: this was the hunting lodge of the Maharaja of Mysore). I would go more often if it wasn't so dear. Were you also involved with Tiger Tops Nepal?

This Sundar Raj you mention, is he the same Sundar who featured so prominently in Quest For A Legendary Fish by Trans World Fishing Team (Andrew Clark, Bob Howitt and Martin Clark)? As it so happens, that's the first book on fishing that I have just finished reading.

To make things more interesting, the friend who recently introduced me to fishing happens to be the son of the person to whom this book was dedicated - Narayan Shetty.

The copy I have on my desk is the one presented by Andrew to the Shetty family after Narayan's passing away.

I may have got this wrong but as I understand it JL&R took away WASI's original stretch, though pre-takeover members are permitted to fish at a nominal daily rate cost. It is only after two or three years that WASI have managed to get this new stretch.

At present WASI have a few guards to patrol the lake and canals but from what I saw, they could do with a few more. They do have walkie-talkies now to keep in touch with the control room and each other, so I suppose that does help. They have nabbed a few poachers as well. If there is anything specific you would like to know please let me know and I can get the information from the Shetty brothers as they are senior members of WASI now.

WASI is in the process of building a one bedroom cottage for it's members near the lake just before one reaches Forbes Sagar dam (from the B'lore end). There is certainly enough evidence of protection in this area because during the three hours I was there I managed to see an unspooked wild boar and a couple of spotted deer playing on the far bank. The partridge population seems to be healthy. Unfortunately, the same goes for the cormorants.

Will e-mail you some of the pictures I took of this place.

Rustam

argyll:

It seems to me Rustam that you have the same problem that afflicts most of us...you need more than one set of tackle.

I am afraid you are right, argyll. Was hoping I could keep it down to two to start with. Don't want to compromise too much on quality either.

Does it ever end? :rolleyes: .... :D

Rustam