Beccles - River Waveney PIKE PERCH

SNIPE

Hi all, Just joined anglersnet. After reading some of the posts found it very useful and also a number of people seemed to be local to where I go fishing!!, So heres my first post!!!.

Im Dan from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. Mainly take my small boat down to beccles and fish the waveney, last 3 weekends have been superb fishing on the xxxxxxxxxxxx stretch of water heading towards xxxxxxxxx from xxxxxxx. Just wonderin how everyones doin on this stretch of water and if any locals can give any hints or tips!!

edit note: removed the location details after seeing Peter's warnings. Newt

I have only lured for pike and perch so far on the broads aswell as deadbaiting for pike. had a 16lb lovely fit looking pike at weekend aswell as couple perch and few 5-6lb pike. weekend before that had around 20 pike all 4lb+ so seems to be fishing really well!

Look forward to hearing from you all and if anyone knows good spots on the broads then please let me know, I generally fish for most coarse fish only type i aint tried yet is trout!

Dan

[ 08. August 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

FOR EVERYTHING OUTBOARD CONTACT ME!

Welcome SNIPE. I'm not local to you (Suffolk, Virginia is closer to me) so can't offer any specifics but can say we are glad to have you. Boat anglers, especially, are in short supply. I feel like a persecuted minority sometimes. :D:D

[ 07. August 2004, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Snipe, you just might find that overflow stretch jammed up to the gills with lurkers who picked up on your location when you go next week! I actually saw you, I was in a white dory that passed you a couple of times.

My welcome might not sound very welcoming but you may not mind ruining your own fishing by giving a location away, but you might also be ruining one for those who live in the area.

Other than that, welcome to AnglersNet!

[ 07. August 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Hi Peter, Sorry didnt know, are u local?.. What is the name of your boat? Trying to remember seeing you...

FOR EVERYTHING OUTBOARD CONTACT ME!

A number of us are from within 15 miles of where you were fishing.

The name on my boat is . . . .! But it is a white Dell Quay Dory with a grey Mariner on the back, like quite a few others. The angler is a bit grey too!! Sad, but it really pays to keep a very low profile where locations are on the Broads. A name on a boat means that some sad location jumper will follow you eventually. Be general! I caught a 32 pounder on the Broads upstream from Great Yarmouth being an adequate response!

A number of us have learnt the hard way that giving locations away via the net can lead to serious over fishing and dead fish. Good swims that we have nurtured for years have been destroyed in a winter.

No, its not paranoia. Another poster on this forum, and myself posted on a different pike forum, amongst a group of friends. We had our own name for one particular hotspot, a place we called the Flats. The other poster was on the Broad in question when a strange boat came up and the owner asked where the 'Flats' were. That area is now so over fished that it is pointless even going near it. Our fault, we should have realised that there are lurkers out there who take from a forum, but never ever put anything back in.

You have asked for help and tips from the locals! My tip is delete locations, never be more than general, and buy a Big S plug! They seem to be the bizz up there! I fished the Broads last week and caught a whatever is more than enough. Private e.mails are excellent.

There is another AN piker who you might bump into, but I'll leave it to him if he wants to tell you. There is also another AN piker who lives in Bury St Edmunds.

[ 08. August 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]