CANON v NIKON

Janet

Some time ago, I posted about upgrading my camera, possibly with a second hand Fuji camera that I'd seen for sale cheaply in a local shop. Budget was limited (particularly as I'd only just bought my Samsung and couldn't really even afford that at the time! :o

I didn't really need to change, as my Samsung seems to be excellent for a beginner and I'm really pleased with some of the results I've had, but it was only a couple of weeks into using it that I found I was looking for extras....I wanted a polarising filter for bankside shots. I found I really needed a remote shutter release, so that I could sit well away from the subject. I wanted a quick release thingie, so I didn't have to spend time screwing it to the tripod. I'd also quite like to have the ability to use an off-camera flash unit....all these are things I should have looked at first, but after all, it was an impulse buy!

Now, due to a stroke of luck and a reasonable windfall from an insurance policy that I knew nothing about, I find I am in a position to upgrade without having to worry too much about the cost. I may even have enough to upgrade my boat, but that's a subject for another thread on another forum....

I've been doing some research, reading the reviews in Practical Photography over the past few months and on a few websites and I think I have narrowed my preferences down to either a Canon or a Nikon...I've had Canon SLR cameras in the past (...the very distant past, about 25 years ago....I couldn't fault them.)

I'll still keep my Samsung for everyday use, as it slips in my pocket or handbag and is incredibly easy to use.

However, I'd appreciate your comments about the next step up...I realise that buying a better camera won't necessarily help me take better photographs, but at least I'll have the tools to use once I learn more.

Janet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I'd appreciate your comments about the next step up...I realise that buying a better camera won't necessarily help me take better photographs, but at least I'll have the tools to use once I learn more.

Janet

Janet,

From my point of view and I'm semi biased, the simple fact is, Nikon have the edge . . . just . . . with the D300, D90 and new D5000, however the edge, if my reading is correct, is such a fine line of 1 or 2%. Its more down to, budget, the feel in your hands, particular ways you prefer a function to work, and what badge you want to present to the world . . . :D

The colour presentation IMHO out of camera is important, Canon tend to a warm brown'ish tinge, Nikon go towards the natural cooler blue'ish hue. I have spent a lot of time tickling the out of camera picture from my D80. The CMOS sensor equipped curent Nikon's as listed above, are closer to the Canon out of camera, maybe its because Canon use CMOS . . . :rolleyes: But Nikon have a different software approach to noise, which is there big 'trumpet blowing plus' at the moment, compared with the opposition, all depends if you wish to use hi ISO settings?

Having, got to grips with my D80 recently, my bias says it does all I want, I'm using the Nikon 18-200VR to stunning affect IMHO recently.

Semi biased . . . ? I use Canon compacts, great cameras while they are working, they have cost me a few hundred in repair bills over the past 3 years!! So I dont have a very good opinion of the reliability of compacts in the brand, no experience of Canon DSLR reliability?

Pays your money, takes your choice . . . But that swiveling rear screen on the D5000 is a big draw . . . ? otherwise it is a D90.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Got to agree with SW on this one, I recently switched to a Nikon D90 and I can't praise it highly enough. IMHO for the money there is nothing to touch it. The video on it is not the greatest but if I want video I use my Canon compact.

The colours on the Nikons straight out of the camera are to me better than on the Canons, but that is just my personal opinion.

SW said about the D5000 and it is a good camera but it does not have an internal motor that the D90 does. This means that the D90 can meter and auto focus with older Nikon lens but the D5000 can't.

Before I got the D90 I had a Sony a700 and that is another great camera. It has the advantage of not only using Sony lens plus the 3rd. party lens such as Sigma etc. but it can use the excellent Minolta lens that can be had quite cheaply and they are very good quality. I only parted with my a700 cos I am an old Nikon guy at heart and got such a good deal on the D90.

Having said all the above I would love to swap my D90 for a D300 if I could afford it and SWMBO would allow it. :D

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Got to agree with SW on this one, I recently switched to a Nikon D90 and I can't praise it highly enough. IMHO for the money there is nothing to touch it. The video on it is not the greatest but if I want video I use my Canon compact.

The colours on the Nikons straight out of the camera are to me better than on the Canons, but that is just my personal opinion.

SW said about the D5000 and it is a good camera but it does not have an internal motor that the D90 does. This means that the D90 can meter and auto focus with older Nikon lens but the D5000 can't.

Before I got the D90 I had a Sony a700 and that is another great camera. It has the advantage of not only using Sony lens plus the 3rd. party lens such as Sigma etc. but it can use the excellent Minolta lens that can be had quite cheaply and they are very good quality. I only parted with my a700 cos I am an old Nikon guy at heart and got such a good deal on the D90.

Having said all the above I would love to swap my D90 for a D300 if I could afford it and SWMBO would allow it. :D

Whoops, glad you picked me up on the D5000's lack of motor DelJ, could cause some to be less than happy, sorry for that error. The word is, that although the D300 does have a slightly higher 'pro spec.,', the D90 (ignoring the Video <_< ) does do well . . . seen arguments for and aginst, but for the likes of me, all I want is that 3" rear screen, magic, then again, the twidling 2.75 screen on the D5000 is a real plus . . . :wallbash: . . . ????? The D90 I think? when I'm alowed . . . :rolleyes:

SW

Thanks for the replies guys!

However, the D90 is a little over budget! Although I could if I wanted to, there is no way I could justify paying that amount of money.

I ought to have said, I'm looking at a maximum budget of around £500.

I've just watched a video on the Sony a700, which looks rather tasty, but again after doing a bit of Googling, it seems that it is again over budget. I thought I could afford it, until I realised the price I'd seen was for the body only...!!! :lol: I've been totally dim whilst reading the reviews, and not noticed that the prices I'd seen were only for the camera body only...!!! To be honest, I've really only been daydreaming, until this week when I learned I had a small inheritance to play with.

I'll be buying it from my local camera shop, as I have found their service to be absolutely impeccable. I've just been on their website and found two that I particularly like the look of - neither of which is either Nikon or Canon, but both are within my budget.

The first one is a SAMSUNG DSLR GX10 SMART KIT and the second is an OLYMPUS E-420 TWIN KIT.

Anybody any thoughts?

Janet

Thanks for the replies guys!

However, the D90 is a little over budget! Although I could if I wanted to, there is no way I could justify paying that amount of money.

I ought to have said, I'm looking at a maximum budget of around £500.

I've just watched a video on the Sony a700, which looks rather tasty, but again after doing a bit of Googling, it seems that it is again over budget. I thought I could afford it, until I realised the price I'd seen was for the body only...!!! :lol: I've been totally dim whilst reading the reviews, and not noticed that the prices I'd seen were only for the camera body only...!!! To be honest, I've really only been daydreaming, until this week when I learned I had a small inheritance to play with.

I'll be buying it from my local camera shop, as I have found their service to be absolutely impeccable. I've just been on their website and found two that I particularly like the look of - neither of which is either Nikon or Canon, but both are within my budget.

The first one is a SAMSUNG DSLR GX10 SMART KIT and the second is an OLYMPUS E-420 TWIN KIT.

Anybody any thoughts?

Janet

Hear are a coupe of reviews, one for the Olympus you mentioned, the other for a Nikon D60 which you may not have considered? The body is motor less, but personally I dont find this a problem, there are plenty of good third party and brand lenses available and these are coming onto the SH market now, its just 'old' lenses that would be a problem. I have . . . Hazel has :P . . . a D40X which I use, the D60 is the re vamped and re badged and re marketed D40X. Considerably less than £400 will get a body and kit lens, as a usable camera, I find its sibling superb. Especially read the 'Conclusion' pages on these reviews, and look at the picture sample pages, I think you can see the points raised?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD60/

As far as the Samsung you mention, I think they have something to do with Pentax? Anyone confirm?

SW

PS, Canon contender: 400d with kit lense about £460, Same applies to this one, especialy read the 'Conclusion' and view 'Samples'.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS400D/

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Wow! Many thanks for those links SW. That seems like an excellent site, and one I missed during my research.

I've just spent a good few hours on there, looking at cameras and reading reviews. Out of the links you posted, the Nikon definitely came out on top for me, purely because of the image quality.

However....I was very favourably impressed when I searched for reviews and comments on the Samsung GX10 which I know is well within my budget and available locally. Also, I have confidence in Samsung after having this compact camera. I know Canon or Nikon sound better, but they appear to be slightly over my budget at the moment. I'm not bothered about having a brand name to show off with! Now, if there was a Korum camera, then perhaps I could be persuaded!!!! :rolleyes:

Apparently the Samsung GX10 is virtually the same as a Pentax K10D?

I think I may have talked myself into this one! Still, I'm not going to make any rash decisions. I'll go into the shop on Monday and look at all the options, then go away and think about it....I've got to get it right, as I won't have this opportunity again.

Now I'm off to Apollo Duck to look for a new boat!

Janet

I'm a canon man myself so would heartily recommend that brand, but there are other considerations. Firstly though let me correct an earlier statement, if Nikon where 1-2% ahead of Canon...it would be international news, likewise it would be the same if canon where ahead of Nikon. Each spend oodles of millions trying to outdo each oher or match what they anticipate will be released next by the opposition.

What you need to consider Janet, is what you may or may not need in the future, for example lens's and the availability of and pricing of said lens etc. Most of the major lens manuafacturers make lens for Canon and Nikon, but do they do so for the other camera makes such as Fuji, samsung or sony? A DSLR is a big purchase and whichever brand you go for you will be taking better photos with it, you will eventually want that extra lens or consumable to go with it and your use of the camera will improve and become advanced as you learn how to use it.

I dont care for video on a DSLR, if I wanted that I would save for and buy a proper video cam.

Lighthearted bit now...

Canon and Nikon are poised to merge next month and for the new name will take the "can" from Canon and the "on" from Nikon to make the new merged company "Canon".. :lol:

Grabs tin hat, bullet proof vest and runs for the hills

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

What you need to consider Janet, is what you may or may not need in the future, for example lens's and the availability of and pricing of said lens etc. Most of the major lens manuafacturers make lens for Canon and Nikon, but do they do so for the other camera makes such as Fuji, samsung or sony? A DSLR is a big purchase and whichever brand you go for you will be taking better photos with it, you will eventually want that extra lens or consumable to go with it and your use of the camera will improve and become advanced as you learn how to use it.

Oh no....even more for me to worry about! My research had led me to believe that the Samsung, with the two lenses and extension tubes for macro photography (I'm still figuring that one out! :o ) should be more than enough for me now and in the forseeable future.

I can see that I'm going to have to spend another afternoon with my friend Google.... :angry:

Janet

Grabs tin hat, bullet proof vest and runs for the hills
- not fast enough Steve....they're catching up! Edited by Janet