CANON v NIKON

Janet

Janet if the Sony a700 is over budget you could always get one of their "entry" models that IMHO are a match for most of if not all similar priced DSLRs.

The Sony a200 can be had for £369 and comes with the 18-70mm kit lens and the 75-300mm lens. One advantage of the Sony DSLRs is that image stabilization is built into the camera so you have that no matter what lens you use. The new SONY ALPHA A230 18-55 can be had for £445, and the SONY ALPHA A350 18-70 for £389.

It might seem strange me pushing the Sony cameras when I have just got rid of mine but I guess I'm just a Nikon man at heart. Also I have always been ready to try and help a lady. The impotant thing Janet is whatever camera you get ENJOY IT.

I'm a canon man myself so would heartily recommend that brand, Never mind Steve we wont hold that against you. :D

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a canon man myself so would heartily recommend that brand, Never mind Steve we wont hold that against you. :D

Good to hear!

It was a no brainer of a choice for me when I made it years back. Three manufacturers where in my sights at the time, Fuji, Nikon and Canon...and I very nearly went for a fuji. But after extensive research on google I found that canon had it on cost, not just cost of the camera, but cost of the ancillaries such as lens's and batteries etc. In Film days I had owned pentax, olys and a tonka....I mean a Nikon. But now I dont need a big tough toy I need a camera so went with Canon.

...still running...

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

All you really need is 3 lens's (for the average person), wide (18,24 - 70,90), tele (100,200, 500!) & possibly a macro.

Scout around looking at the lens options first and choose the body to go with your lens choice would be my recommendation. After all, its the lens's are what will cost you in the future.

Its not the body that gets you the good photograph but the glass that is attached to it ;)

Most dslr's on the market these days come with a basic (though alot more than your compacts) set of gadgets and gubbins that will be more than enough for the average consumer.

Good luck with the search,

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Well, I slept on it, and I'm still erring on the side of the Samsung.

I particularly like the way is is resistant to water, as you may remember this was a problem I was trying to overcome a while ago, and I never did resolve it.

I am still very much open to suggestions though!

Janet

Morning Janet, I agree with Steve, even on the 1-2% issue, they bounce backwards and forwards month by month, year by year, however I think (bias, what bias B) ) Nikon has the high ground, just, at the moment . . . Next month who knows, but essentially they are the two brands that give 'no tears' universal ad on choice.

Just had a quick look at a couple of other review, I picked up, the Samsung is not compatible with the off camera flash of the Pentax, noted you wanted this as an option? I also picked up that the JPEG compression was very high, detracting from the potential image quality, requiring the use of RAW to extract full potential, this is the case with all DSLRs of course but Cliff Smith seems to think it is especially acute on the Gx10? You know my view on JPEG-RAW, 'keep it simple stupid' is my way.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-came...amsung-GX-10/p4

The Samsung/Pentax appears to be heavy . . . something like + 120grs (4ozs) may not be an issue, some would consider it an advantage?

The issue of damp/wet . . . I remember a review, I think it was the D80 on the DCR site????? Test pictures had to be in the wet, not a sealed camera, they reported no problems, again an issue of individual requirements, how often will it be used in the wet or 'how wet is wet'?

Sigma do a selection for lenses for Pentax:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/index_pentax.htm

The issue may be avaliability of the retailers shelf?

SW

Most of the major lens manuafacturers make lens for Canon and Nikon, but do they do so for the other camera makes such as Fuji, samsung or sony? A DSLR is a big purchase and whichever brand you go for you will be taking better photos with it, you will eventually want that extra lens or consumable to go with it and your use of the camera will improve and become advanced as you learn how to use it.

Steve...:)

Steve here I am back on the Sony waggon, as well as all the a mount Minolta lens Sigma, Tamron, Tonica all make lens to fit Sony a mount as does the superb Carl Zeiss. I know the Carl Zeiss lens are expensive but for IQ there is nothing to touch them.

OK now I am going to stay away from this thread before I talk myself into selling the D90 and going back to Sony. :roll1::roll1::roll1::camera:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Well, I've been a-Googling, as you do on a damp and dismal Sunday afternoon, and it seems that SW was correct in his assumption that the Samsung is simply a Pentax K10D under a different name. As such, it seems that there is a wide range of lenses and accessories available?

I also found this user review on Amazon ....

On the whole, especially for the money, I could not believe how good the camera is. The biggest down side is the name on the front and lack of kit from Samsung, but there is such a huge array of past and present Pentax stuff that you can use this should not be a problem. You are likely to get a few sniggers from the Canon/Nikon boys, but with an equally capable camera and lots of spare change in your pocket, you'll get the last laugh.

I think I will spend an interesting lunch hour interrogating the poor guy in my local camera shop! Bless his little cotton socks, he is infinitely patient!

I would love to have a Canon or a Nikon - after all, just having the name means you're guaranteed to take better pictures, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Woah! Hold on Steve, I think there's two of us running for the hills!!

Janet

The Samsung/Pentax appears to be heavy . . . something like + 120grs (4ozs) may not be an issue, some would consider it an advantage?

The issue of damp/wet . . . I remember a review, I think it was the D80 on the DCR site????? Test pictures had to be in the wet, not a sealed camera, they reported no problems, again an issue of individual requirements, how often will it be used in the wet or 'how wet is wet'?

Weight doesn't enter into it for me ... I much prefer a more substantial camera rather than the tiddly little lightweight thing that I started with (a sub £30 Tesco job...!)

For me, the damp/wet issue is a major consideration. I have missed so many wonderful opportunities for a good photograph because I didn't want to get the camera wet...I'm only talking about light drizzle, not a heavy downpour...the Samsung appears to be reasonably robust in that sort of condition?

I just went out into the garden to put some rubbish out, and found a beautiful Red Admiral flutterby posing on my Buddleia....the first I've seen this year....I couldn't take a picture because it was drizzling.....pah! :angry:

I'm making myself a list of what I think are essential requirements, and will go into the shop tomorrow to investigate my options...the guy in there seems to know his stuff, so I'll listen to what he has to say, and of course I'll continue to take on board all the valuable user opinions on here!

I can increase the budget by a considerable amount, but I'd prefer to stick to sub-£500 as I really do have other commitments that are more important at the moment!

Janet

Well Janet, I can see why you like the spec., of the K10D camera, but it worries me when I look at a series of sample photos and I think; OK but . . . ? and that was whats been bugging me on the Pentax K10D/Samsung re badge. All that spec., top name and I, the potential customer am left a bit 'flat' . . .

I then look at the Exif, a high percentage were +0.3EV . . . :g: Far be it from to question the expertise of DCR camera review site??? but there is always a but . . .

So, I took a JPEG photo off the sample site and did my standard minimum rework that I do as a norm., if I'm not happy with my own pics:

This is the original:

1FWoriginalimgp11831.jpg

This is my version with a tiny adjustment made in 'Colour Curves', needs the tiny lift? tried one of the RAW samples as well, similar result . . . Might be me, making it look like a Nikon picture, ho-hum, we may be splitting hairs here?

1FWrwimgp11831.jpg

Link to the samples, see pic 22 for full size original:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pentaxk10d_samples/

Perhaps one is getting into 'Anorack country' . . . <_< ? However the picture tweek for me puts the Pentax/Samsung (assuming one and the same) into the worth being on the list of possibles? Puerly a humble opinion Janet :rolleyes:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

The original question was Canon or Nikon, I would have to say Canon cos that's what I've used, both compact and DSLR, I don't know about Nikon.

Canon fit accessories are numerous and easily available probably even more so than Nikon. I also find the Canon cameras fairly intuitive to use.

If you are going to look at other cameras, the Olympus E520 (a step up from the E420 mentioned earlier) gives really good results. If I was starting afresh I would give this camera serious consideration, it has a big advantage over some in that it has in body IS which means it doesn't matter what lens you put on you always have the IS system.

The original question was Canon or Nikon

Indeed it was Ayjay, but unfortunately I've had to lower my sights a bit, having not taken into account the cost of the lenses. :huh:

I was looking at the Olympus E420, but it seems that the E520 is within budget (and available locally) so I will certainly have a look at that.

I'm going to take my time over this one - no impulse buying this time! I need to be sure that what I get is going to suit me and last a long time.

Janet