CANON v NIKON

Janet

Somewhere inbetween the two would be my preference, the first is a little soft, the second, as Rob says a little too "contrasty"...in my book...oversharpened.

Compare the two side by side, zoomed in and you'll notice the thin black and white lines that sharpening leaves on a photo...this is what gives it that edge that Rob mentions and why I think its overdone slightly. Of course, this is my own personal taste and why I seldom use sharpening. As a generalisation I'll employ other processing techniques as opposed to standard sharpening, if the photo gets that far in the first place because if its not sharp OOC..I generally ignore it anyway unless there is no chance of a second go at the photo some other time in which case I will full process it.

Steve...:)

Yep, see what you mean Steve and probaly agree, it might be a tad over the top, blown up? . . . you pixel peeping Steve? <_<B) . . . but the detail is in the picture if required, thats realy the point. ;)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do according to a quick search on google. It appears that depending on camera model you will have a more limited choice of for example Sigma lenses (ergo likely to = more pricey).

Nothing wrong however with the olympus lenses themselves, just pricier than the 3rd party equivalents. (from my experiences with the older non-digital SLR's).

Rob.

Whoops, got that one totaly wrong, could not find a ref on the Sigma site . . . but I did not pick up on 4/3rd :rolleyes: Thanks for putting me streight Rob

Here we go: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/b...gn=Sigma_4-3rds

and this: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/quicklinks/fourthirds.htm

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

. . . you pixel peeping Steve?

Yup, only way to see whats really going on when a comparison is shown or is to be made. I didn't have to look hard though on the planes shot...just zoom in a little and there it was.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I have put this up for all to see, it floats my boat . . . taken from:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-E520-9360#comments

. . . where there are a few more, but this one is my favourite. A test shot with an Olympus E520, the poster says it is streigh out of the camera . . . I have done nothing other than make it fit the screen'ish, depends on your screen of course.

HarvardfullsizerwE520P6154860.jpg

SW

Yup, only way to see whats really going on when a comparison is shown or is to be made. I didn't have to look hard though on the planes shot...just zoom in a little and there it was.

Steve, what you think of the Red Bull Harvard? Don nothing but fit to screen, straight out of the camera according to the photographer?

I like it . . . SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

If I could take something like that straight from the camera, I would be highly delighted!

Janet

According to the post, its an E520, focal length 180mm (I presume an Olympus lens), shutter 1/1250s, aperture F6.5 and ISO100. untouched he says . . . As you say Janet, if only . . . :D

SW

Well, thank you kindly for all your replies and the wealth of information.

Now it's decision time, and I've made it! (Well, at least I think I have!)

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of weeks or so reading all the reviews and visiting the shop to handle different cameras - today was the turn of the Nikon D90 and the D5000. after PM recommendations. Very much more than I intended to spend, but nonetheless within my reach.

The swivel screen on the D5000 was very nice, but I just didn't like the camera! Can't explain why, as I know it's a superb piece of kit, but it just didn't feel "right".....also, the cost of the extra lenses to go with it seemed pretty surreal! The basic camera with one lens was £629.99, but the macro lens was an extra £300 or so? Add to that the cost for all the extras I want (bag, remote shutter release, longer lens, external flash etc) and it was verging on the ridiculous, particularly to a complete newcomer to photography! To be honest, at that price I'd be scared to take it out of the box and I don't think I would do it justice.

After a lot of research, I've decided that I'm having the Olympus E520 (thanks Ayjay....I may not have seriously considered it if you hadn't brought it to my attention!) It comes with two lenses and they have a macro lens for £184.99. I'm sure I can get it cheaper on t'Internet, but the basic kit I wanted to buy from somewhere local, just for peace of mind should something go wrong.

I was able to try the macro lens on the camera today, and I was very favourably impressed with the results. I think it should be more than adequate for my needs, and besides, I just LIKED it...! I was able to find my way round the controls within a very short space of time, and I was comfortable with it. I think this is a camera that I will use, and learn from. Just half an hour and I could find my way round the menus and functions? It seems very user friendly. Extras for it won't break the bank, so I think it's going to be a reasonable investment. After all, I only started trying photography in a small way just a few months ago, so I think I need to learn the basics before I start spending silly money.

Thank you again everyone for all your help, and for taking the time to look into this for me. I've had numerous PM's and advice, and I really am grateful for all of it!

Janet

I'm glad you have finally made a choice that your happy with Janet, and we look forward to seeing you progress with the new kit as you learn its intricacies.

If I may just pick up on one point, its about pm advice.. Surely this pm advice would be more beneficial to those involved in the conversation, on this topic? It may also be beneficail to others reading this who may not be taking part, but very interested. I dont know the nature of the advice you received Janet and as its "private" I dont want to know as its none of my business, but I urge anyone offering advice in private to post it here in the forum too..if thats possible. Little snippets of info that you think may help one person in private, may help 5 more in public and will certainly be the catalyst for further conversation/discussion.

Good luck with the new purchase when you get it Janet.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet