CANON v NIKON

Janet

Steve,

Almost all of the PM advice I received was also posted on the forum...I received additional PM's to back uo the advice posted, which were folllowing it up with personal experiences and suggestions - probably best done by PM, leaving the topic clear. I also received lots of help and encouragement, and much of it was personal and best kept to PM's. Rest assured, the members who PM'd me have also provided valuable input into this topic!

Some excellent advice, such as choice of filters and add-ons that I was thinking about I feel would be more suitable for separate topics in their own right rather than getting lost in this one, and I will no doubt be posting the said topics when I get my camera home....

Yes, I said when.... :angry:

Slight problem today....When I went in at lunchtime. I could almost hear them thinking "Oh no, will she EVER make her mind up?". Well, not really, they were really friendly and welcoming as always, and I've only actually been in three times, to compare Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I narrowed my choices down early on after the advice I received on here, which I think was wise.

I asked for another look at the E520, and it was duly produced from the display case...a very different welcome than I'd had from a certain major High Street electrical (digital?) retailer who's staff could really use some product knowledge and customer service training!

I was lucky enough to get the same assistant who sold me my little Samsung - if they are on commission, I wanted him to earn from my purchase as he's been so helpful. As it turns out, they aren't, and it shows in the way I was treated - I really can't fault the service.

After handling it for a while, trying the different lenses and being shown round the basic controls and how to safely change lenses etc, I said, "Right, I'll take it...." I really do like the feel of this camera. I know that's not the best thing to make a judgement on, but I'm a woman, so humour me!

Slight problem though - they didn't have the twin lens kit in stock! It was showing on their computer, but they couldn't locate it! However, they could get it in a couple of days. Oh no! I really wanted it today, so as to have a couple of days to get familiar with it before I go away on a boating holiday this weekend. Still, if I had to wait, I had to wait....I soon found out that the extras were swiftly adding up from the initial £449.99 price. Although the kit included the two lenses and a 3 year guarantee, it didn't include a memory card and there was no spare battery, I don't know how much the card was, but the battery alone was an extra £35.00! On top of that I'd still need a couple of polarising filters, if only to protect the lenses (another £25-30 each) and there was no bag - looking at the selection on offer, the ones I liked were pushing £50.00 Jeeeez. I don't even pay that for handbags! :o

Whilst the sales assistant was on the computer trying to find a branch which had it in stock, he suddenly had a stray thought....I like stray thoughts! "Hang on a minute" he said to one of his colleagues...."Do we still have any of the Mega kits?"....Mega kit? I hadn't seen this on their website. After a bit of footling with the computer, he came up with the solution.

The E520 with the twin lenses, including 3yr guarantee, neck strap, camera bag, two polarising filters, camera care kit, 8Gb memory card, spare battery and camera bag...everything I need to start me off....and the price? £589.00....it's being Fed-Ex'd from Head Office to be here tomorrow! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Watch this space!

Janet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Janet I'm sure you will enjoy your new camera, I used to have a e-510 with the twin lens and I got some very good shots with it. I only parted with it when I had an offer I couldn;t refuse to get the Sony a700.

Enjoy your new "toy" and like the rest on this forum I await you posting your shots with it. :camera:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

:camera:

Guess what I've got?

Yes, Andy in the camera shop was true to his word and my new toy was waiting for me at lunchtime! He had all the extras ready for me, including a spare battery, two ultra-violet filters, a circular polarising filter, camera care kit and the camera bag - not only that, it was the very bag I'd been looking at yesterday and discounted as being too expensive!

The battery is now on charge, so it will be a few more hours before I get to play with my new baby! :rolleyes:

I was a little bit naughty, and also bought the macro lens, which put me WAY over budget! All in all it's cost just under £750....a massive investment for someone who only took up photography just a couple of months ago! Still, I'm pretty confident that it will give me the tools I need to try and improve....only time will tell!

Thanks again everyone for your input - give yourselves a round of applause :clap:

Janet

:camera:

Guess what I've got?

Yes, Andy in the camera shop was true to his word and my new toy was waiting for me at lunchtime! He had all the extras ready for me, including a spare battery, two ultra-violet filters, a circular polarising filter, camera care kit and the camera bag - not only that, it was the very bag I'd been looking at yesterday and discounted as being too expensive!

The battery is now on charge, so it will be a few more hours before I get to play with my new baby! :rolleyes:

I was a little bit naughty, and also bought the macro lens, which put me WAY over budget! All in all it's cost just under £750....a massive investment for someone who only took up photography just a couple of months ago! Still, I'm pretty confident that it will give me the tools I need to try and improve....only time will tell!

Thanks again everyone for your input - give yourselves a round of applause :clap:

Janet

One waits with baited breath . . . . . . . . . . . ;) Janet, enjoy, will be great to see the results :camera: Its like waiting to see those 'first steps' . . . :lol:

SW

SW, the first steps will probably include me falling flat on my face several times!

I'm just about to watch the DVD that came with it....

There's also some software for managing images. I'm hoping not to need to use it, as I'm still getting to grips with E7! However, I'll follow the destructions and download it anyway...!

Back soon...

Janet

There's also some software for managing images. I'm hoping not to need to use it, as I'm still getting to grips with E7! However, I'll follow the destructions and download it anyway...!

Back soon...

Janet

Might be a good idea, as any instructions will refer to and assume use of the supplied program? . . . Swap over later, no point in complicating the issue? Might of course, be straight forward and fit in with Ev.7, 'like a duck to water' . . . ******** SPLASH!!!!! :lol:

SW

SW,

"SPLASH" isn't really the word I want to hear when I'm off tomorrow night for a long weekend on a narrowboat, annoying anglers on the canals!

I do hope the camera is working OK when I finally get the battery in....the shop advised two hours charging...the manual says five? I'll go with the manual, and carry on with the housework and packing! However, I will be there at 10pm, poised and ready but without a clue! I've been busy umpacking all the bits and bobs, and I think I've finally figured out how to change lenses...oh my, this is slightly scary!

I rather think I'll have to leave it behind, and rely on my little Sammy instead...I really can't inflict me, a new camera and a steep learning curve on my friends..at least not if we want to enjoy the weekend! There have already been comments made about how much time I spend with my camera. However, I'll take the manual with me to read when I have chance, and look forward to using it when I get back.

Watch this space....

Janet

Janet

Ok...it's time...batteries in....

Now, do I have a clue what to do? Not on your life!

So, what do you photograoh with a brand new camera at this time of night?

P7290074.jpg

I then reached for the emergency supplies....

P7290076.jpg

...and the flower arrangement on the coffee table...

P7290082.jpg

However, I still have a smile on my face!

P7290089.jpg

Yes, we have matching Rosie and Jim dolls!

I can't quite figure out all the buttons and the functions....but I'll get there! The macro lens is defeating me at the moment, but I'll get the better of it eventually....it all looked so simple in the shop....!

I'm off to bed now with a camera manual to read!

I won't be on the forum again until late Sunday/Monday, as I'm going boating, but I'll take my new toy with me and do my best...

Janet

Ok...it's time...batteries in....

Now, do I have a clue what to do? Not on your life!

So, what do you photograoh with a brand new camera at this time of night?

P7290074.jpg

I then reached for the emergency supplies....

P7290076.jpg

...and the flower arrangement on the coffee table...

P7290082.jpg

However, I still have a smile on my face!

P7290089.jpg

Yes, we have matching Rosie and Jim dolls!

I can't quite figure out all the buttons and the functions....but I'll get there! The macro lens is defeating me at the moment, but I'll get the better of it eventually....it all looked so simple in the shop....!

I'm off to bed now with a camera manual to read!

I won't be on the forum again until late Sunday/Monday, as I'm going boating, but I'll take my new toy with me and do my best...

Janet

Thats impresive for the 'first steps' Janet, the camera is doing its thing just fine :thumbs: enjoy your weekend.

SW