CANON v NIKON

Janet

Indeed it was Ayjay, but unfortunately I've had to lower my sights a bit, having not taken into account the cost of the lenses. :huh:

I was looking at the Olympus E420, but it seems that the E520 is within budget (and available locally) so I will certainly have a look at that.

I'm going to take my time over this one - no impulse buying this time! I need to be sure that what I get is going to suit me and last a long time.

Janet

E520 reviewed:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusE520/

Great camera, but, its that 'but' again, let down by some fundimental features that are not up to scratch, according to DCR? Read the Conclusions page.

If you look away from the 'water proof' requirement dont forget the D60, a great sample picture page?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were short staffed today, so I only managed to grab a half hour for lunch...

Still, it was enough tiime to dash down to the shop for a nosy round. I couldn't look at the Samsung, as the last one had just been snapped up....pah! It was in a box ready to be collected, but the guy wouldn't get it out for me to have a look at! New stock is expected on Thursday. However, they are in short supply and seem to go as soon as they hit the shelves. Apparently demand has outstripped supply for this model....does someone know something I don't?

However, I did have a quick play with the Olympus E420 and the E520, and I like both of them....! Not quite sure what I get for the difference in price though? I did like the 2.7" live display screen on the E520, and the camera just generally felt good, with excellent on-screen display and even a "Help" button, which I will surely make use of!

As I suspected, the Canon and Nikon cameras are going to be way over budget... :angry: I don't want to start off on that route and then find that the extras are going to cost an arm and a leg...I've only just bought my first almost, nearly, not quite a proper real camera, so going for something in that sort of price range really is a bit overkill...after all, I don't travel a lot, don't have huge opportunities for fantastic shots...I just want to be able to make the most of the opportunities I have.

I've confirmed that Samsung/Pentax are pretty much one and the same, with lenses available from several different manufacturers. There were a few Sigma lenses on display at reasonable prices....? Although both cameras come with two lenses, I will still need to budget for a good macro lens as that is a subject that really interests me.

The Samsung package is available at £429.99, the Olympus at £499.99, both with a 3 year guarantee. I know I can get them cheaper on t'Interweb thingie, but I prefer to buy from somewhere local where I can go in and give them an ear-bashing when things go wrong, or pop in for advice when needed.

One of my major considerations was rain resistance - I spend a lot of time fishing and boating, and conditions aren't always as good as I'd like. It seems the Samsung is able to cope with this, whereas I would have to buy a waterproof housing for the Olympus, which is going to set me back about £25.00....do I really want to bother with all the faffing around when I could get a camera that is prepared for it?

I'm still very much inclined to go for the Samsung, but I will wait until I get to handle it at the end of the week before making a decision.

Thank you all (especially SW for your excellent links to that review site!)

The money should reach my account tomorrow....I'm going to have to sit on my hands until I've made an informed choice!

Janet

However, I did have a quick play with the Olympus E420 and the E520, and I like both of them....! Not quite sure what I get for the difference in price though? I did like the 2.7" live display screen on the E520, and the camera just generally felt good, with excellent on-screen display and even a "Help" button, which I will surely make use of!

The main difference between those two is the *live view* and the *IS* (image stabilisation).

The DPReview website is worth a really long look around, it has, for instance, a comparison section where you can see two sets of camera specs side by side.

Look in the buying guide for that feature.

Olympus 420 and 520 here.

To bring it back to the Nikon/Canon debate (since that is what you wanted originally); if you have a branch of Jessops near you, there are a few to choose from under £500. The D60 with 18-55mm lens comes in at £379! As for additional lenses, Sigma is the one to go for, superb bits of glass including this little number :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

To bring it back to the Nikon/Canon debate (since that is what you wanted originally); if you have a branch of Jessops near you, there are a few to choose from under £500. The D60 with 18-55mm lens comes in at £379! As for additional lenses, Sigma is the one to go for, superb bits of glass including this little number :)

At 24 grand its a snip John and I would consider it but for the weight of 15.7 KG !! I take it the high price tag includes the hire of a sherpa to carry it around for you..:D

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Get a Canon & you can have one these instead canon 1200mm :D reviewed here

Edited by snakey1

Well Janet, I can see why you like the spec., of the K10D camera, but it worries me when I look at a series of sample photos and I think; OK but . . . ? and that was whats been bugging me on the Pentax K10D/Samsung re badge. All that spec., top name and I, the potential customer am left a bit 'flat' . . .

I then look at the Exif, a high percentage were +0.3EV . . . :g: Far be it from to question the expertise of DCR camera review site??? but there is always a but . . .

So, I took a JPEG photo off the sample site and did my standard minimum rework that I do as a norm., if I'm not happy with my own pics:

This is the original:

1FWoriginalimgp11831.jpg

This is my version with a tiny adjustment made in 'Colour Curves', needs the tiny lift? tried one of the RAW samples as well, similar result . . . Might be me, making it look like a Nikon picture, ho-hum, we may be splitting hairs here?

1FWrwimgp11831.jpg

Link to the samples, see pic 22 for full size original:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pentaxk10d_samples/

Perhaps one is getting into 'Anorack country' . . . <_< ? However the picture tweek for me puts the Pentax/Samsung (assuming one and the same) into the worth being on the list of possibles? Puerly a humble opinion Janet :rolleyes:

SW

Has no one got any views on the above??? A published 'Sample' picture, representative of the of the cameras ability? and yet, tweek it a tad (it was minimal) in Ev.7 and you can count the bricks in the wall at the back . . . Am I being irrellevant . . . ?

SW

Has no one got any views on the above??? A published 'Sample' picture, representative of the of the cameras ability? and yet, tweek it a tad (it was minimal) in Ev.7 and you can count the bricks in the wall at the back . . . Am I being irrellevant . . . ?

SW

Well I can see more bricks but it appears to be too high contrasty for my liking personally.

Rob.

Well I can see more bricks but it appears to be too high contrasty for my liking personally.

Rob.

It may be me??? I like things to be super sharp, even in my own vision, I drive myself and my optician mad when I go for an eye test. I find it very frustrating some days if my diabetes is playing up and I cant see the fly crawling up the church tower! I'm left cold when a portrait picture is presented and raved over as perfect . . . "but it not sharp" is my knowing response . . . :P

My main concern was that the picture has the detail available, how one finally presents it is a personal matter . . . me, I like sharp, thats how I perceive it, I dont see any 'high contrast' . . . Just shows how we are all different, Canon have a warm, inviting colour balance, Nikon is cooler, they say more natural? and so on . . . perhaps Pentax edges towards contrasty . . . ?

The final question then, is the original to your liking, rather than my minor tweek?

SW