Is this still one of the World's Top Ten Monos?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8lb - 0.25mm

10lb - 0.29mm

12lb - 0.31mm

15lb - 0.36mm

18lb - 0.41mm

It comes in 4oz spools so i'm guessing at around 1350m of the 12lb.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

DG anything over 30' is really hard to get lures down to.Ferrox waters like Awe are extremely deep most freshwater sounders just switch off in many places (over 300') 50' is quite a common strike zone.A lot of people mistakenly believe that a diving plug will just keep going deeper and deeper.Unfortunately they all have a terminal depth.Using lures on a downrigger is one way that I like but using a leadcore line or part line as Severus mentions gives you an alternative presentation.It fishes a lot more direct obviously than other presentations.

Not used sideplanners Sev but have used Dipsy Divers and Kussumo Trolling vanes.

Shame youre not into leadcore DG as it is a matiriel that greatly varies in quality.You would have a field day testing all the different makes with their various qualities and charecteristics.It is a type of line that would definately benifit from your depth (no pun intended!)of scrutiny. :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie:

quote:

Not used sideplanners Sev but have used Dipsy Divers and Kussumo Trolling vanes.
I'm not familiar with trolling vanes, Budgie, but I routinely run 3 dipsey rods as part of my presentation, one down the chute and two side ones. They're like a poor man's downrigger.

Leadcore is very effective trolled behind inline planer boards, mainly because boat turns cause the leadcore to rise/fall, giving the lure a lot of action and triggering strikes. Plus, planers keep the leadcore away from other lines, which avoids tangles (if you've never tangled leadcore, don't - it becomes a useless clusterfudged nightmare).

BTW, you can also use snap weights to get plugs down deeper. So, what's a Kussumo Trolling vane?

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Posted Image
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

... anything over 30' is really hard to get lures down to. Ferox waters like Awe are extremely deep most freshwater sounders just switch off in many places (over 300') 50' is quite a common strike zone. A lot of people mistakenly believe that a diving plug will just keep going deeper and deeper. Unfortunately they all have a terminal depth. Using lures on a downrigger is one way that I like but using a leadcore line or part line as Severus mentions gives you an alternative presentation. It fishes a lot more direct obviously than other presentations.

Shame you're not into leadcore as it is a matiriel that greatly varies in quality. You would have a field day testing all the different makes with their various qualities and charecteristics. It is a type of line that would definitely benefit from your depth (no pun intended!)of scrutiny. :)

I'm sure you're right on all counts, Budgie.

I have fished Awe for Ferox and didn't do very well, for reasons which must be obvious to a man of your calibre and experience with lead-cored lines.

Sounds like you're the main man to check them out and compare because you've obviously got years of experience under your belt with lead-cores, something I can't hold a candle to

DG

LOL - DG, when you get all modest I start to worry.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Severus,sorry cant post a piocture of the Kussumo diving vane (can anyone put one up?)but it works on a similar principle to a Dipsy ie works at an angle to dive then releases to a flat in line profile on the strike to reduce drag when playing the fish.They are much smaller than the Dipsy and made of lead.

DG,Ferrox aint easy on any water let alone Awe! A beutifull place to try though.I got into them by accident.Took an 8lbr on a down rigged trolled deadbait meant for Pike and had a few years realy hooked on them.Lot of time spent on the lochs and only a handfull taken but every one worth while.Best was 12lb 10ozs,not big by Ferrox standards maybe but still a cracking fish in my books.My mate Bob did have a bonus double figure Rainbow from Awe though.This we believe was a grown on escapee from the farm.Deepest fish was taken at over 70'.Out of interest we also had a few pike at over 50'.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!