Seeking advice on a reel

lucid

I'm trying to put together a rod. I have an Ugly Stick Catfish rod and I need advice on a spinning reel to go with it. The more research I do the more conflicting information I see (The Catch 22 of The Information Age). I find myself just as confused as when I begun.

I would like something that holds up to 14 lb. test at least, if not more. As I'm looking around I don't see freshwater reels that go past 12, so I guess I should be looking at saltwater reels? They are okay to use with a freshwater rod like I have right? If so, what brands are reputable? At first I was hearing that these "Penn" reels were good and made in the USA and all that, but then after looking around heard that they're now made in China and junk. Is this true? That stinks because I was looking at the Captiva & Silverado and they looked like good deals. Another friend says Mitchell is good but I see none that go above 12 lb. There was this Abu Garcia that was 10/12/14 for $35 at Walmart, but I don't know if they're any good or not.

I don't have a bunch of money to spend on a reel, and I've seen expensive ones have the same problems anyway. I'm not looking to spend much more than $60, but will go as high as the $80 range if it is worth it. I just really have no idea what brands to trust and don't want to end up with junk. Is there anything decent I can get in that range?

There are Catfish, Stripers, Pike and Musky where I fish and I'd like to be able to hang onto one if they're on my line. Do you think I should be looking for one that goes to 20 lb.?

Recommendations are appreciated, as I'm a noob.

Hello lucid

Not certain what size fish you intend on catching your side of the pond. The poundage that you are talking about generally fit into the boat fishing area over here, 20 - 30lb will see you hauling up large fish from the depths over the side of a boat.

For spinning / plugging 6-12lb in the uk seems to be the norm'. I personally use 8lb or 10lb when spinning on clean beaches and a fine braid (8lb dia) for fishing when I go to fish the rocky shores of the south of england.

You need to identify the max' weight that you are fishing for in your area and rig up accordingly. To me spinning with a 15 to 30lb t.c would be like fishing with a broom handle (no offence intended).

I was in the US last year and to be honest Walmart isn't what I would concider to be a tackle / bait shop. Friendly staff but not fisher people. Your best bet would be to find your local tackle / bait shop and ask for advice there. They should know the local areas that you'd be fishing and if they value your custom they should give you a good deal.

I found a Basspro shop and entered into my own fish heaven. Mind you it was two dollers to the pound at the time.

I think Norm of A.N fame is from your side, he may be able to expand even more if he picks up on this thread.

I hope I haven't muddy the waters even more for you and wish that you find your own piece of fishing heaven.

Tight lines.

squibs

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Funny... I was in a Bass Pro shop just last night because I'd heard I could find "anything" there. I was not impressed. If I had $300+ to spend on a reel then I would have been in business, but they had virtually no selection in my price range. The selection at Walmart (and Dicks) was actually better. On top of that the help was less than, well... "helpful".

They didn't have a good selection at Gander Mountain either, which was a surprise. It's to the point where I'm just going to order one online where I KNOW I can find what I want. The only problem now is that I don't know what brands are reputable. I guess that's really what I'm trying to discern in this thread. What brands can I trust? And furthermore, can anybody recommend any specific reels made by these brands that fit in my price range ($60-80)? That would be immensely helpful and appreciated.

I understand I will get conflicting opinions in here as well, but at least they will be opinions of people who are more knowledgeable about the subject matter.

Oh yeah, and the size of the fish I'll be catching for the most part... decent sized striped bass and catfish. My friend pulled in a 36" Musky (I forget the weight) with a similar rod and 10 lb. test, so I think this setup will be sufficient for anything I catch around here.

Have a look at this Pflueger Reel. Decent prices, large capacity if you need one (but heavier), and an old company that makes solid gear.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks. I'm all about good ol'school companies that have been doing it for a long time. The problem is these days many of these companies are sourcing their work overseas where cheaper parts and labor are used, and naturally they aren't too eager to make that fact known to the consumer. I thought Penn was one of these companies, for example. Now it seems they made it a point to discontinue their good products to replace them with inferior ones. I'd love to be able to get my hands on a 6500ss for a decent price, but now you can only find those old ones on online auctions and people want too much for them.

On another forum somebody recommended the Tica Scepter's. As I look the GX5000 fits my criteria and price range. Can anybody concur that these are decent? Disagree?

Another one I'm looking at is the Mitchell ALU Power Surf reels. I have a friend that uses this brand and recommends it.

At least I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. I now have some good recommendations and have eliminated much from contention as well. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Lucid

Check out ebay. If you mean a Abu Garcia 6500 when you said 6500ss then you can find good ones. The same can be said about Penns reels. If you do your homework and find out at what point these companies out sourced their products and work backwards from that point.

I picked up a near perfect Abu 6500ct for £56 a while back. Designed and made in Sweden. I was and still am made up about the reel.

For multiplers I personally stick to Abu's, Penn and Diawa. I'm not so sure about Egg whisks (fixed spool) as I tend not to spend more than £40 on one. All I would say about them is that you need to look at the type of gearing that will suit you and that you need to look for good line lay. Aways go for a ball bearinged bale arm roller, It will help to stop line twist and tangles. The cheeper ones have a plain bearing which is servicable, but can lock up when put under pressure.

As for Basspro well I was looking for a 3wt fly fishing set up. I walked in with nearly $500 to spend (saved for a year for a decent rod and reel package and a fishing trip), didn't spend that mind you. Very helpful, but I guess money talks. The chap did baulk when I asked whether if he would throw in a line or give me a discount (I put it down to cultural differences and me being a cheeky Brit'). When you spend that sort of money in the uk, you generally get something. He chucked in some backing, not much, but a small token victory.

Thanks Newt I was referring to your goodself and not Norm (just as famous, but home grown).

Lucid, I understand that money is tight, it is every where. With a bit of research and a bit of luck you'll find exactly what you need, so good hunting and tight lines.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Lucid

Check out ebay. If you mean a Abu Garcia 6500 when you said 6500ss then you can find good ones. The same can be said about Penns reels. If you do your homework and find out at what point these companies out sourced their products and work backwards from that point.

I picked up a near perfect Abu 6500ct for £56 a while back. Designed and made in Sweden. I was and still am made up about the reel.

For multiplers I personally stick to Abu's, Penn and Diawa. I'm not so sure about Egg whisks (fixed spool) as I tend not to spend more than £40 on one. All I would say about them is that you need to look at the type of gearing that will suit you and that you need to look for good line lay. Aways go for a ball bearinged bale arm roller, It will help to stop line twist and tangles. The cheeper ones have a plain bearing which is servicable, but can lock up when put under pressure.

As for Basspro well I was looking for a 3wt fly fishing set up. I walked in with nearly $500 to spend (saved for a year for a decent rod and reel package and a fishing trip), didn't spend that mind you. Very helpful, but I guess money talks. The chap did baulk when I asked whether if he would throw in a line or give me a discount (I put it down to cultural differences and me being a cheeky Brit'). When you spend that sort of money in the uk, you generally get something. He chucked in some backing, not much, but a small token victory.

Thanks Newt I was referring to your goodself and not Norm (just as famous, but home grown).

Lucid, I understand that money is tight, it is every where. With a bit of research and a bit of luck you'll find exactly what you need, so good hunting and tight lines.

squibs

Thanks. I was actually talking about the Penn 6500ss here:

http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn6500ss.htm

That Abu sounds decent but somebody I know has had bad experiences with Baitcasting rods. I think spinning would be best for my needs.

I was thinking about working backwards, like you say, and getting a decent Penn, but people are just asking too much for them. Right now I'm leaning towards the TICA Scepter GX5000 & Pflueger President 6750.

Again, thanks for the help.

Just to muddy the water further, do take into consideration the price and availability of things like spare spools. Do you get one with the reel and what is the cost of extra spools.

With a couple of spare spools you can have different line strengths and cover all of your requirements.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Steer clear of Penn Captivas and Silverados (both Chinese made) if you are looking for durability. Stripped a Captiva for examination and was not impressed at all after using well made and reliable Penn spinfishers (made in USA) for years. The new Chinese made Spinfishers are not getting good reviews either!

Safety habits last a lifetime.