Going to an airshow

Snatcher

Plan to go through to Sunderland Airshow next weekend and will be taking the camera along with me - not to mention the wife !! :rolleyes: I have borrowed my mates monopod for the occasion as I do not think my tripod will be suitable due to the large crowds expected.

I was wondering what settings you would all use for such an occasion ?? I was thinking of using Tv mode with a shutter speed of between 500/1000 of a second and ISO of 800. I was also going to +1 stop to try and compensate for the light background. All suggestions welcome :)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher, just Googled 'Airshow Photography Tips', plenty came up, this one looks simple to understand, not to much 'anorak' type OTT detail:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Photography/...hows/index.html

SW

PS See this site: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92432

They talk of the need to have a slow shutter for propeller driven craft, other wise the prop is stopped, looks strange, loose sense of motion. I seem to remember reading 125th was about right with an appropriate aperture for the weather?

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Well it was great airshow and the weather was perfect. Took 700 shots and have just finished deleting 500 of them !!. It keeps you on your photographic toes the variety and differnt speed of each display. I certainly made a lot of mistakes but also learnt from them - the name of the game. :D

Have posted two into the current comp but will add some more onto this thread tomorrow hopefully :rolleyes:

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

We had a Vulcan bomber fly low and slow over our house yesterday, we get jets and trainers every day here as we are on the flight path for them heading in and out of the lakes. I didn't have time to grab the camera though...we had only a two second warning of noise then there it was, turning as it went over our house to show us its belly. It was so low I could have filled the frame at 100mm!!! Here's what they look like (do you have a shot of one of these John?)

raf-waddington-international-air-show-36.jpg

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Yes Steve got the Vulcan and will post it up. Will also post up the errors I made on the day so hopefully it may help someone else in the future :rolleyes:

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Rob in the "heat of battle" forgot to try overexposing by +1 stop as my mate suggested,who is a sillyboy then !!!!! Here are the first bunch,all of the red arrows - and yes Rob I have lightened a couple of them. Some more to follow plus "out takes" at the end :lol:

John

3-88.jpg

4-75.jpg

5-70.jpg

6-64.jpg

7-57.jpg

8-43.jpg

9-41.jpg

10-33.jpg

Edited by Snatcher

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

11-26.jpg

12-27.jpg

13-22.jpg

14-20.jpg

15-16.jpg

16-13.jpg

17-9.jpg

18-8.jpg

19-11.jpg

20-6.jpg

Edited by Snatcher

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Things not to do !!!! Just a case of very bad timing on this "fly past"

21-5.jpg

In this one I had just finished photographing the Red Arrows and my shutter speed was still on 1/1000". The parachute team crept up on us unexpectedly and I kept firing away on that setting. Very clever helecopter,its blades are static but it is still in the sky :rolleyes:

22-5.jpg

Tried to put too slow a shutter speed into the camera to get "motion" on the rotor blades. The result is camera shake

23-5.jpg

Got the exposure time wrong again on this one so the propellor looks static

24-5.jpg

Had a great day out and I did learn a few things from my errors. I do take my hat off to the top photographers in this field :thumbs:

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair