Griff Rhys Jones angers anglers with command to disturb fishermen

luckyjim

Possibly dodgy deals involved Worms, but I think its most likely that they just make more noise than anyone else (a bit like a child who's about have his dummy confiscated). Investigations are ongoing though ...

Sorry to go even further off topic but I'd be interested to know what a ranunculus grows into? I just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it's a type of buttercup

I would guess thats Water Crowfoot, but I'm not sure what the link with barbel is?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess thats Water Crowfoot, but I'm not sure what the link with barbel is?

A number of our rivers have been given SSSI and/or SAC designation to preserve endangered, indigenous species. These often include water crowfoot, white clawed crayfish, bullhead, brook lamprey and whorl snails.

However the EA have been throwing public money at these environmentally sensitive rivers to enhance the barbel stock to the detriment of other recreational river users and the endangered species which they have been charged with protecting.

Once the barbel fishermen have received all this public funding, they then create their own private little fishery by closing access down to other anglers and the public at large, on grounds of disturbance to an environmentally sensitive area.

There's currently a bit of a post mortem going on amongst the powers that be to try and ensure that public money is allocated more transparently in the future, so it would perhaps be unfair to dwell on it further at the present time.

I'm off on holiday at the weekend, so I wish them all luck in trying to gain an understanding.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Watcher
Says the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/588...-fishermen.html

TV star Griff Rhys Jones has angered anglers after encouraging canoeists and boaters to "disturb as many fishermen as possible" on their travels.

Rhys Jones has just finished filming a BBC documentary in which he rediscovered the country's forgotten rivers by travelling along them in a canoe.

The 55-year-old has been vocal in his criticism of anglers who he claims have too much say and control over British rivers and wants water users to exact some revenge by spoiling their chance of a catch....

...Rhys Jones said after his year canoeing, swimming and surfing along British waterways, he had discovered the rivers 'no longer belong to the people' but had been hijacked by stockbrokers, anglers and farmer.

"Private fishing clubs have bought up the banks, controlling the water to the middle where they meet rival fishing clubs," he complained.

"You cannot pass without permission. Our dislocation from our watery heritage has happened so slowly that no one has really noticed."

I'd like to add a point which I'm sure most anglers need to be aware of and conside while out fishing

Surely the recent public statement by the Actor Griff Rhys Jones demanding that rivers should have unbridled access and to provide free to use by canoeists and thereafter how to react to any anglers they may come across is tantamount to calling for and inciting canoeists to intimidate, threaten or cause a breach of the peace when they come into contact with anglers.

This outburt is totally unnaceptable from such a well known public and now as far as the angling comminity is concerned not so well revered.

There is need for a major formal complaint to the BBC by the Angling Trust and as many anglers nationally as possible to demand that Griff Rhys Jones makes a public apolgy or face a police investigation into his words and behaviour which in fact can be construed as contrary to common and criminal law. in which I refer to the relevant legislation of the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994:

This legislation is meant to give protection to any individual(s) from anyone or persons who causes intentional harassment, alarm or distress by using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour to any other person at any place or time and in fact the legislation actually states the following :

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(B) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

(2) An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the person who is harassed, alarmed or distressed is also inside that or another dwelling.

This matter would if it occurs and proof could be found that by this actors very words he incited others to commit a reckless offence then the result proven in a criminal court would be a very public surprise and no doubt potentially cause the downfall of one persons media existence and no doubt a cause a very great deal of egg to be plastered all over the public image of the BBC who as an organisation could also possibly end up in the box as co accused for aiding and abetting such an incident to be left unedited before it left the editors office.

The offence above normally carries a maximum penalty of 6 months in prison, however crimes of incitement and public disorder carry far more serious jail time for those found guilty of such acts.

Maybe the BBC would thereafter give angling a fairer share of air time as recompence for ignoring our sport for so long over the years despite all the world champions the UK has created in the sport as a whole.

Ranunculus fluitans River water-crowfoot. Generally recognised as good cover for barbel of all sizes. It also harbours many invertebrates food species. It generally grows in rivers which are suitable for barbel and, of course adds a bit of extra oxygen to the water. It has been in decline for a few years now. Possibly through silting up of the weed beds, but more likely (in my opinion) a herbicide runoff issue.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Bit of a hot potato this one, isn't it?!

Firstly, GRJ comments were bang out of order. For a man with such high profile to say such things is nothing short of disgraceful. Sadly he will claim it "worked" because of the publicity it bought it series. Imagine the uproar if an angler called on anglers to disturb bird watchers etc.

Also worth remembering, no matter what GRJ & Co. will tell you, that anglers DON'T have any more access rights than canoeists and other water users. We pay a licence to fish but that doesn't give us a right to fish anywhere. We can't fish anywhere without permission. And canoeist can't paddle without permission. That's the law of the land. Not "superior rights of anglers". We, as anglers, are an easy target for the canoeists because "the Great British public" don't seem to have much sympathy for anglers.

The issue of "we pay a licence so that gives us more 'rights' is a dodgy one. £26 a year to fish is peanuts. As I mentioned, although it doesn't actually give us a right to fish anywhere I'm sure the vast majority of canoeists would be willing to pay MUCH more than a, frankly, paltry £26 a year if it gave them accesss to all the waterways. So be careful what you wish for.

I'm not anti canoeist but I'm not pro canoeist either. I don't think they should be allowed to impact on other water users unfairly. If they had complete access to all waterways they would disturb some anglers. They say they don't/wouldn't but they would. Some of us fish small rivers etc. Fishing on the Dorset Stour I've heard groups of canoeists bangling/clattering oars, disturbing swans from way upstream until they've come past me without having any idea I was there. It does happen.

Man has been owning/diverting/managing waterways for centuries so a lot of what GRJ etc say is guff. There are no 'rights of way" on most waterways. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed more accesss but they would do well to actually take a leaf out of angler's book and work together with landowners etc to get more access. Not just say "WE WANT 100% ACCESS AND BUGGER EVERYONE ELSE".

Edited by bingo

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Local access agreements with canoeists do work and is surely the way forward to avoid either party impacting on the other. Unfortunately it is often done without the angling club being informed but still....................

This is from the website of a small fishing club that has water on the Dorset Stour.

Members are advised that local man, Mr Harrison, has negotiated rights with the Hinton Estate to allow him to run 'canoeing safaris' on the river Stour, initially for a period until 5th April 2010. Use of and access to the river is to be strictly controlled. During the fishing season access is available above Sturminster Mill at that point where the relief channel commences and paddling is allowed up to Dunch Mouth. During the close season this is extended almost to Cutt Mill. Similarly access is available on the south bank above Fiddleford Mill opposite the rolling bays with paddling available through the Sowley and Little Ham stretches. No paddling is allowed in Steart.

The agreement allows up to 8 canoes at any time and authorised canoes will be coloured blue except one which will be coloured yellow. Mr Harrison is required not to canoe on stretches used for matches and specifically not to cause nuisance or annoyance to members. Any difficulties should be reported immediately to Martin Drake on .................

Edited by bingo

I've just watched the first of the series and it was very enjoyable. Didn't see much anti angling propaganda despite a sequence about maintaining Salmon stocks on the Tay, if it was going to be a running theme I would've thought the opportunity would have been taken there. Mind you I suppose p*ssing off wealthy punters prepared to pay thousands to fish a stretch is a bit different to upsetting oiks ledgering for Chub. I'll reserve judgement until I see further instalments.

Didn't know that rivers in Scotland are accessible no matter where they flow, a very sensible approach IMO.

Up to speed now with all episodes so far, really enjoying the programmes. Still haven't watched anything antagonistic (maybe a not so subtle p*ss take of carp fishing), is it still to come or am I watching the wrong show?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Up to speed now with all episodes so far, really enjoying the programmes. Still haven't watched anything antagonistic (maybe a not so subtle p*ss take of carp fishing), is it still to come or am I watching the wrong show?

You probably haven't seen the papers, heard the radio shows or watched the TV interviews. GRJ has been slagging off anglers all summer.

You probably haven't seen the papers, heard the radio shows or watched the TV interviews. GRJ has been slagging off anglers all summer.

You're probably right, one of the links to this thread (below) is titled "griff rhys jones is a t*sser" :D Must be some bad feeling then, he was quite funny in Alas Smith & Jones

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well Ive seen the last of the series now and in general I thought it was quite good.GRJ had a go at some type of fishing or other in most of the programmes and allthough he was clearly not in to it and some what bemused by the whole thing didnt come across as particularly anti.

I didnt see the infamous issuing of the fatwah on anglers or have I read any of the articles in the press. So I dont no if he was intentionally encouraging problems or just has had tongue in cheek comments taken to seriously.So in all fairness I wont comment on the man.

I can to a degree see where his views of the rivers having been taken over by fishing clubs etc and lost to the people comes from but Im sure if paddlers,boaters,sailers etc etc had put so much into the rivers over the years they to would regard them as "thiers" and guard them jealously.

As said before its a shame that all cant enjoy and protect the rivers.We allhave enough "enemys" with pollution and abstraction without having to fight with people who hopefully have similar goals as our own.Surely anglers and paddlers would rather share a clean healthy river than have autonomy over an open sewer?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!