Griff Rhys Jones angers anglers with command to disturb fishermen

luckyjim

Extraordinary from Griff R-J.

But I've got to say most of the canoeists round me are fine. There is a club that takes out young canoeists - maybe they are sea-scouts. The leaders are always courteous, and I've been impressed that some of the kids come form near me and are not easy youngsters. They shout loudly all the time of course, spcially when they see me because i go into their school etc. It is good to see that, like angling, these folk are helping youngsters who could easily go wrong to take up a constructive sport.

Which makes it all the more stupid of Griff R-J to stir up trouble between the 2 sports.

john clarke

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other week I was in the middle of the river wharfe trotting a float,when four teenage lads came down in two dinghy's,they were obviously intending to float straight through my swim,I told them in no uncertain terms"come down here and I will punch holes in both your boats :angry: "they didn't take me seriously,so I shouted angrily "you are not listenening,come down here and I will pucture your boats" :angry: and waded towards them with my forceps :angry: .They said they were going to Ilkley how are we going to get there?I said"walk round",after more argueing they finally went round me through a field,but they did manage to puncture one dinghy on a barbed wire fence :D and yes,though I used to think griff rhys jones was ok,I now think he's a tosser.

Edited by dapper64

The other week I was in the middle of the river wharfe trotting a float,when four teenage lads came down in two dinghy's,they were obviously intending to float straight through my swim,I told them in no uncertain terms"come down here and I will punch holes in both your boats :angry: "they didn't take me seriously,so I shouted angrily "you are not listenening,come down here and I will pucture your boats" :angry: and waded towards them with my forceps :angry: .They said they were going to Ilkley how are we going to get there?I said"walk round",after more argueing they finally went round me through a field,but they did manage to puncture one dinghy on a barbed wire fence :D and yes,though I used to think griff rhys jones was ok,I now think he's a tosser.

Hmm. Well it's hard to judge when I wasn't there, but your opening salvo sounds aggressive. Wouldn't a polite request 'Lads, would you mind going round the edge? It frightens the fish if you go through where I'm fishing' have been a more friendly opener? And I'm a bit surprised you are pleased they punctured their boat unless the 'more arguing' involved them being abusive.

john clarke

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable and balanced response, I just can't understand why anyone would dislike anglers.

Rich

The only thing i ask canoeist to do if entering my swim is not paddle but coast through it where possible. Or Stick to one bank or the other. I've never had a real problem.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

just my opion but sounds like there's more than one tosser!

just my opinion but sounds like there's more than one tosser!

Thanks,I am sure I have been called worse :clap2:

I'm sure you have, and probably quite deservedly, given the attitude you showed in your previous post! You sound like just the sort of angler that we don't need representing our sport!

Just exactly what gives you the idea that you, me or any other angler has priority over another river user? Threatening to puncture someone's boat with your forceps isn't exactly representing angling in a good light, is it? Like it or not, other people have rights to use our waterways - boaters, anglers, canoeists etc....learn to live with it. It is not an angling exlusive zone!

Our waterways are there for everyone, and some give and take is needed on all sides to make sure we all reap the benefits.

I'm an angler, and I buy a licence to allow me to fish. I'm also a boater, and I pay a licence fee to to use my boat to cruise the waterways. What on earth do you think gives YOU the right to threaten people with violence and/or criminal damage?

Janet

I've just spotted that GRJ has a serise comming out called "River Journeys".

Gobbing off like he has done is a bizzare thing to have done because a very sizable proportion of the people who might be interested enough in a program called "River Journeys" to actually watch it will be anglers and he's gone out of his way to alienate them.

Hopefully, nobody will watch his shoddy little program and the BBC will think long and hard before employing him to present any programes in the future. They have afterall invested a freat deal of licence payers money in making a television programe only to have the presenter undermine it by attacking the target audience before it's even broadcast.

I just might go and point this out to the BBC......

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.