Griff Rhys Jones angers anglers with command to disturb fishermen

luckyjim

I've just spotted that GRJ has a serise comming out called "River Journeys".

Gobbing off like he has done is a bizzare thing to have done because a very sizable proportion of the people who might be interested enough in a program called "River Journeys" to actually watch it will be anglers and he's gone out of his way to alienate them.

Hopefully, nobody will watch his shoddy little program and the BBC will think long and hard before employing him to present any programes in the future. They have afterall invested a freat deal of licence payers money in making a television programe only to have the presenter undermine it by attacking the target audience before it's even broadcast.

I just might go and point this out to the BBC......

I think he's done a pretty good job of getting anglers attention and some free advertising.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you have, and probably quite deservedly, given the attitude you showed in your previous post! You sound like just the sort of angler that we don't need representing our sport!

Just exactly what gives you the idea that you, me or any other angler has priority over another river user? Threatening to puncture someone's boat with your forceps isn't exactly representing angling in a good light, is it? Like it or not, other people have rights to use our waterways - boaters, anglers, canoeists etc....learn to live with it. It is not an angling exlusive zone!

Our waterways are there for everyone, and some give and take is needed on all sides to make sure we all reap the benefits.

I'm an angler, and I buy a licence to allow me to fish. I'm also a boater, and I pay a licence fee to to use my boat to cruise the waterways. What on earth do you think gives YOU the right to threaten people with violence and/or criminal damage?

Janet

That length of the river was being used by lot of people,it was a hot day there were people paddling and other people boating,there was a young lad with a fishing net right next to me catching minnows,every body was minding their own business and enjoying themselves until these lads showed up making a right racket.After reading your post I realise I should have handled it differently,but in all honesty I don't think asking nicely would have worked,but I should have at least tried.

What a strange outburst from old Griff! Many of the rivers I fish are both unnavigable and private anyway, so no boats would be allowed. If they were allowed, it wouldn't be much fun paddling around tiny, overgrown streams. They're private because in nearly all cases (in fact, all I can think of) the land is owned by farmers. Angling clubs pay the farmers so their members are allowed access. All fair and above board - I don't really understand the fuss.

On the navigable rivers like the Thames, we all have to get along with each other the best we can. I've seen terrible and excellent behaviour from both anglers and boaters. As always, it comes down the individuals themselves, rather than which particular camp they happen to belong.

Perhaps Griff has had a particularly annoying experience and is extrapolating...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quote Anderoo

On the navigable rivers like the Thames, we all have to get along with each other the best we can. I've seen terrible and excellent behaviour from both anglers and boaters. As always, it comes down the individuals themselves, rather than which particular camp they happen to belong.

Spot on Anderoo just people and some are a$%£%^*&s whatever camp they are from but you tend to remember the dicks more than the nuetrals or decent ones ,spent the weekend traveling up the kennet and avon mainly river sections and my boat has fishing rods/net/pod on the roof in full view and most of the anglers were happy to speak/have a bit of banter with us but the other boat we went out with didnt and they even got abuse at one point yet steered the same coarse/line up the river so i think some pre judge others by the boat they are in /carrying fishing gear /mountain biker/dog walker aqnd the pre conceived ideas of those pastimes spring to the fore .

Lakes/Canals/Rivers attract all sorts of passtimes and somehow we need to find common ground to get along.

Cannot remember the forum but a conoe guy suggested taking 10 anglers out for the day and then they receiprocate the offer but it was mainly rubbished by the anglers sadly ,Boats often have to find the deeper water on the outside of bends in rivers and this can lead anglers to think that the boat is trying to come in close to snag lines for eg so more understnding of others passtime will help but you cannot account for c&%^s in any discipline sadly Steve.

edit due to Merlot :D

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My local river is the Suffolk Stour.

From Sudbury to the sea there are navigation rights but above Brundon mill there are not. The british canoe club are happy with this and actively tell there members this.

The river rapidly becomes very small and streamy, going through several area,s of SSSI. This does not deter rogue canooists who always are most rude when you point out too them the position. I recently had a stand up argument with 4 that stated it was ok with owners permission. They did not realise they where standing on L.A.A. land and I am the fisheries officer and the L.A.A. own the opposite bank aswell. This was May and is a SSSI.

Last year I was cutting a friends meadow next too their weirpool. (you can see why I cut their grass). Two canooists came along and started to climb up bank through my friends garden and flower beds. I stopped and asked them what they were doing and they said there was no other way of getting around mill and pool.

When I told them that was because there was no right of navigation and this was a private house both sides of river they quoted BBC program showing good old Gryf going down rivers starting at Clare and going to the sea. The first 8 miles are upstream of Sudbury and through several SSSI,s etc.

Aparently they had also a copy on DVD.

Good old BBC and Gryf.

Incidentally the environment agency and Suffolk Stour Trust anually organise a free for all boating event from sudbury to the sea right in the middle of the close season going through very shallow sections when due to SSSI status I cannot do any work on the bank at this time.

Anglers are thought of last everytime.

regards

john

What until he's spotted by the EA paddling through an SSSI or a spawning bed and that'll take the smile of his gloating smart face. I used to like him until he made 'that' comment.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Gentlemen choose your weapons---- My moneys on Sir Ian KO in the first round :lol: ,There is more than enough scope for conflict on smaller rivers without the likes of GRJ speaking without engaging the old grey matter as you can bet the Canoe forums are on about this subject to and an Angler or Canoeist is likely to get hurt on one of these smaller rivers as a result of this stoking up the fires Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This is getting rather odd!

Many of the rivers around here are blessed with public rights of way, and people are free to wander along and enjoy the rivers all they like. Those that don't have public rights of way would hold no appeal to either canoeists or walkers as they're too wild. Too wild for many anglers in fact :rolleyes:

One really beautiful Thames tributary I fish has a public right of way for mile upon mile of its length, with good parking and access points. I've never seen anyone there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music