New bivvy

Anderoo

After having owned/used several systems Im sold on the STi,Goes up dead quick just like a brolly but offers the protection of a bivy.Ive not found the need for an over wrap at all but same as I dont bivvy up that much in the Winter now.

The prices vary hugely but heres a few-Sti brolly systems

Elyon/Newt I tried to link a page of search results with a AN friendly link but it failed! I presume I can only do it for individual items?

Heres the page any way-

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

{link amended by Elton. Cheers, Budgie}

Edited by Elton

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices vary hugely but heres a few-Sti brolly systems

Elyon/Newt I tried to link a page of search results with a AN friendly link but it failed! I presume I can only do it for individual items?

Heres the page any way-

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

Looks like a good system Budgie, I just can't why its called a Brolly system, It doesn't look anything like a brolly. :blink: The only difference i can see between it and my bivvy is the door is in the winter skin apposed to the bivvy on mine.

There seems to be a lot of good bivvy and brolly systems about these days, but one thing i would say is if i was after a new bivvy on a tight budget i would get one i have the option of adding a winter skin to at a later date. A bivvy with a winter skin is warmer, suffers from condensation a lot less and is a lot less likely to spring a leak.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Looks like a good system Budgie, I just can't why its called a Brolly system, It doesn't look anything like a brolly. :blink: The only difference i can see between it and my bivvy is the door is in the winter skin apposed to the bivvy on mine.

There seems to be a lot of good bivvy and brolly systems about these days, but one thing i would say is if i was after a new bivvy on a tight budget i would get one i have the option of adding a winter skin to at a later date. A bivvy with a winter skin is warmer, suffers from condensation a lot less and is a lot less likely to spring a leak.

I should imagine they call it a brolly as all you need to do with the "pram hood" types is just open them up like a brolly and putting on the outer cover ("bivy") is optional?

Like I said Ive not found the overwrap necessary but as you say you do get more condensation without it.

Another feature I like is you can adjust the height or width to suit various swims and conditions simply by tightening a strap.

Another good point you made is that the outer/winter skin can be added at a later date so spreading the cost!

Heres a combined deal.Might be worth seeing what the reserve is?

In fact even brand new for the both at around £190 is in my mind good compared to the price of most other bivvies. No extra storm poles or add on bits needed either. Only "new" thing Ive brought in years and that was after borrowing my brothers for a session.

I like the look of the STi aswell but just think the conventional brolly design might be easier to erect.

Looked on youtube and found lots of bivvys being put up but none of the quicker erect types or brolley types. You would think manufacturers would use this as a good way of showing us the product as I seem to have difficulty in veiwing the product it all seems mail order these days.

regards

john

I like the look of the STi aswell but just think the conventional brolly design might be easier to erect.

Far from it John.Speed or rather ease of errection was one of the main reasons I got the system. Certainly quicker than the Geostatic (is that the word?ones where all the poles cross in the middle) tent type ones ie like the Cypry Dome. Quicker and easier than any of the origonal brollie/oval brolly withe the bivvy chucked over.Marginally slower than a big oval with built in storm sides maybe but far more protection.

Ive also noticed over the years that speed of erection also means lack of stability/rigidity,look at the Gardner "Pop Up" bivvy! Other so called speed trials Ive seen are also a bit false as yes the bivvy is "up" in seconds,but you then need to spend time pegging out,fixing storm rods,tensioners etc to get it fully "up".

Another thing I like about "pram hood" styles is that you can fold them back in the day really easily if you want,use them as a winbreak and like I mentioned with the STi alter the height/width.

Cheers everyone! Looks like the STI is the one to beat. (Although with a name like that you probably think you've beaten it but it just reappears a few weeks later :rolleyes: )

Is it fairly light? Compared to similar options?

Also, is there plenty of room in it? I don't like feeling cramped, plus on 2- 3-night sessions I tend to take quite a lot of stuff...!

Good price though, and I like the option of a winter skin for the colder nights.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What size (ie one or two man) Cypry Dome have you been using Anderoo I cant remember? Its not massively heavy or bulky like a lot of modern bivvies.Like all opf the pram hoods it does pack away into a slight "banana" shape but I can fit it in either of the slings (a fancy four rod Aqua products one and a basic Terry Eustace origonal) that I use at present.

As I dont bother with the extra over wrap the combined weight is obviously less than a standard brolly/overwrap system. But obviously carrying the two ie STi and winter skin would be heavier.

What size (ie one or two man) Cypry Dome have you been using Anderoo I cant remember? Its not massively heavy or bulky like a lot of modern bivvies.Like all opf the pram hoods it does pack away into a slight "banana" shape but I can fit it in either of the slings (a fancy four rod Aqua products one and a basic Terry Eustace origonal) that I use at present.

As I dont bother with the extra over wrap the combined weight is obviously less than a standard brolly/overwrap system. But obviously carrying the two ie STi and winter skin would be heavier.

Cheers Budgie. I have the 1-man cypry dome. Is the STI a single size?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No its "one man" I asked as the twoman Cypry Dome (we had several for guests in the early pre caravan days of European Cat Fish Trips) certainly has more room than the STi but Im not sure about the one man.I was just looking for a comparisson to describe the room avaiable.

Its certainly got more room than my Nash Oval bivvy and more than any other standard brolly/overwrap bivvy Ive used/seen.

Its things like this that I really miss the closed season for! In its day we could have had a day where we all got together and played with each others bivvies but no closed season and we are all to busy fishing! Try before you buy is the best for anything.