Its Janets falt . . . !

Sutton Warrior

Digging around, thinking about Macro Photography, Janet started my mind churning . . . I'm not sure I want to get into macro big time which requires a major financial investment? Initially I thought 'used' . . . yeah! :wallbash: as usual, used to new can be so close that its not worth the risk? So, wait for a bargain to drop in the lap, as I did manage with my Sigma 10-20 :P or look for an alternative rout?

Aware of tubes, but no idea how, what, where . . . etc. There are all sorts of hurdles, however, Kenco do a set of 'macro tubes' with contacts, at a reasonable price, that work with modern lenses, although it appears Nikon HSM lenses loose AF . . . for macro, manual focus seems the way to go anyway?

I also dug up this page:

http://japanorama.co.uk/2009/02/17/using-t...s-a-macro-lens/

Very interesting, uses old, 'no contact tubes', but describes how to overcome 'setting of the aperture' on a modern lens without an aperture ring. If nothing else, food for thought, I seem to remember I have one 'oldddd' 36mm ring knocking about in the bits and pieces box . . . :g: I wonder what I will be doing tomorrow morning B)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

I bought a cheap set of tubes off ebay or amazon (about 10 -15 pounds) - can't remember which. I also don't really see the point of worrying about aperture, as you just want enough light to able to keep the thing shooting at a fast enough speed to keep things steady. You might be able to get a tiny bit bigger depth of field, but I doubt it'd help much and you'd probably need one of those circular flashes to get a useable speed.

Rob.

Well I have found the 36mm tube, just about to start to play . . . a friend knocked at the door . . . we spent the rest of the day discussing things horticultural and putting the world to rights!!! :P an enjoyable day, and yes we downed a couple of cups of Kenco as well Steve :lol:

I managed to do a little 'fit and try' this evening. It works OK, everything manual of course, I have got to get to grips with the aperture though. I recon the Sigma 70-300 will be to long, certainly cant 'hand hold' it still enough at 300mm, making diving about after insects a problem, wonder if it will work at 100mm? I need to try the lenses own 1.2 macro capability . . . only ever tried it once :o The 18-70 is much more stable but needs to be a bit close to the subject, potentially spooking insect? :g: I'm going to have to spend some real time tomorrow getting to grips and deciding where and how to go . . . if at all?

Good vibes though, positive thoughts . . . SW

O'Dear, I have tried the 'depth of field' dodge . . . it does not seem to work? and its a pain getting the lens off keeping DOF and lens lock buttons depressed, also feels wrong to treat delicate equipment this way . . . so a re think :g:

The Sigma 70-300 is a non starter unless I use a tripod, fine for studio work, but mobile in the field (garden :P ) If I want a Prime/Macro lens it needs to be 100mm 'ish to have a workable subject to camera distance, IMHO. Paying £300-£400 even £500+ for a Nikon seems a bit OTT, and the used market is getting expensive, closing the gap between 'new and used' to a point that I feel is to close for comfort, especially on fleBay :huh:

An old AI Nikon lens used in full manual would work, or a full set of modern Kenko tubes will give control but still leaves the lens required to be manually focused, I think? dont see that as a hardship in Macro.

Have to think that one through . . . any one got a view?

SW

PS having had a search on the web, Kenkos site says that their DG tubes are now compatible with the HSM in the Nikon and Canon range of lenses. I still think manual focus will be favourite, however, a quick auto focus and then the manual override option with Nikon will help in the 'insect chase' :P The only downside is the 2 stop light reduction? :g:

Edited by Sutton Warrior