SCOTTISH SEA ANGLERS WORTH MILLIONS

People keep talking about Benefits to sea angling. Natural England Do It, Defra do it and some sea angling misrepresentatives do it. Then when you pin them down and ask for precise detailed answers they cant come up with anything - pretty much what worms has just done above. We recently met wiuth Robbie fisher of Natural England. He promised benefits to anglers in exchange for information to aid the MPA process. When I asked about benefits he couldnt give one acceptable answer.

It's pretty obvious really but I'll spell it out anyway.

The new fisheries management proposals are to protect fish stocks by protectin sensitive areas of the coast/offshore that will take into account nursery/spawning areas if required by the use of the MPZs etc.. This should see an increase in fish stocks that are not taken by commercial fishermen because they will not be allowed to fish in protected areas. Anglers will!

What is an acceptable benefit to sea angling ?? I guess were back to the old toilets and slipways argument again. Is this what people want because Im certain ou will never see an increase in your fish catches untill the focuss is taken off sea angling and put on commercial fishing, discards and illegal black fish landings which need to be dealt with by more than a slap on the wrist approach adopted by our courts.

Precisely what is happening now!

Just as a side issue Tope are still been landed right across the UK. One person I spoke to last week admitted landed half a dozen and was completely unaware of any law against it. They are also being skinned before put on the market.

If you know that people are ilegally landing and selling fish (presumably the skinning is to disguise the species and therefore deliberate) then have you reported them? Ignorance of the law is no defence.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ada, I can't see how any of what you've posted there is relevant.

What are you trying to say?

(If I was Glenn, I'd tell you why you didn't catch on; but I'm not!)

I'm sick to death of your moaning, whinging and saying nothing of substance.

Who do you think you are?

Most of us can read journals and reports. We can make observations. We can make up our own minds about fisheries policies and other issues without your guidance.

Before you say it, I don't read BFM.

Perhaps you have actually said something interesting; but your constant 'twaddle' on here about the rep from Kent and other 'misrepresentatives' is really, really boring and meaningless.

Give it a rest. If you have nothing to say, be quiet.

I assume you do want to make a contribution somewhere, otherwise you would not be writing a commentary in the magazine. I'm afraid your words go unheeded and unnoticed by the 'fat controllers'. The political process wins, OK?

My last post was about the hypocrisy of you and Glenn and others who say RSA is digging a hole, while in fact, commercials are doing the same; but even worse.

And the skippers involved are on Govt handouts while they trial their ideas! Amazing!

You have always made it clear that you neither participate in nor approve of government regulation.

OK, stay stumm!

Most of us are the same, but we reserve the right to contribute to the democratic process when and where we feel it is appropriate.

We don't need you persuading we anglers NOT to say anything; not to do anything which might rock an already unstable boat.

You are not making friends amongst groups of anglers I mix with and if you wish to exert any influence you must get rid of the 'Steve the knocker' image.

:rolleyes:

(If I was Glenn, I'd tell you why you didn't catch on; but I'm not!)

I'm sick to death of your moaning, whinging and saying nothing of substance.

Who do you think you are?

Most of us can read journals and reports. We can make observations. We can make up our own minds about fisheries policies and other issues without your guidance.

Before you say it, I don't read BFM.

Perhaps you have actually said something interesting; but your constant 'twaddle' on here about the rep from Kent and other 'misrepresentatives' is really, really boring and meaningless.

Give it a rest. If you have nothing to say, be quiet.

I assume you do want to make a contribution somewhere, otherwise you would not be writing a commentary in the magazine. I'm afraid your words go unheeded and unnoticed by the 'fat controllers'. The political process wins, OK?

My last post was about the hypocrisy of you and Glenn and others who say RSA is digging a hole, while in fact, commercials are doing the same; but even worse.

And the skippers involved are on Govt handouts while they trial their ideas! Amazing!

You have always made it clear that you neither participate in nor approve of government regulation.

OK, stay stumm!

Most of us are the same, but we reserve the right to contribute to the democratic process when and where we feel it is appropriate.

We don't need you persuading we anglers NOT to say anything; not to do anything which might rock an already unstable boat.

You are not making friends amongst groups of anglers I mix with and if you wish to exert any influence you must get rid of the 'Steve the knocker' image.

:rolleyes:

Nope, sorry Ada. I still can't see what you're getting at. All I can see in that post is a load of old cobblers. What is it you're trying to say?

Is it that everyone should think like you do, or shut up? What is it? Is it that RSA should, or shouldn't, go down the same route as commercial fishermen and climb into bed with Cefas, or what? Do you think I want to make friends and influence people? Do you think that anyone takes any notice of anything you write?

If you don't like reading stuff you don't agree with, don't read the forums. And if you've got a decent argument against anything you don't like, let's see it. It would make more interesting reading than your usual 1001 ways to say "shut up".

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

When the bass fishing falls through the floor, we'll all know who to blame, won't we?

Having considered the science and evidence, and having listened carefully to the concerns of anglers and commercial fishermen, I have decided not to increase the MLS for bass.

Bass is important to the inshore fishing fleet, which would have borne the brunt of the cost of increasing the MLS. I could not justify introducing a measure which would have had such an impact on those fishermen given the current pressures they face and the healthy state of the stock at present

Jonathan Shaw MP

25th October 2007

It's the politicians who make the decisions.

I know who I'll blame Steve and it won't be the guys you refer to as RSA mouthpieces.

Rubbish!! Zero TAC means bugger all in terms of protection. It might make some people feel good about themselves and feed a few egos, but it doesn't stop the fish from being caught and, in a lot of cases, discarded.

You see. This is precisely what I'm going on about. Token gestures that do sod all to benefit anglers, or fish stocks, being lauded as great achievements and victories. Meanwhile, the real issues go unaddressed. Well done, give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Hardly insignificant if your a spurdog. The longliners that used to visit Scotland have been sold off

The Cornish long fishery for Porgies has stopped.

The proposed targeted fishery for tope was stopped.

If you check the landings of all these species you will see they have all reduced significantly.

The full protection on common skate means an important RSA fishery has been protected.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Ian,

Every species in your list is an Elasmobranch; the preservation of which you clearly hold dear, but they do not feature in my fishing world at all, nor are they of very much importance to the Scottish fishing industry on the whole.

Zero bycatch on porgies? I don't know of a directed UK porgie fishery, so all that means is the odd porgie that gets caught in a net gets dumped instead of being sold? i can remember short lived directed fisheries 20 years ago that took (to me ) frightening numbers of female porgies, but that was 20 years ago..

25% by catch limit on "Rays". What does that mean in the real world?

I know you have worked your socks off to do good Ian, but these victories mean little than i can see.

Chris

I appreciate that elasmobranches don't feature in your fishing world but how much of that is down to the depletion of the stocks. The rays, skate porgie and spurdog used to be as common on the Scottish east coast as they were on the west coast. In fact the majority of the porgie landings came from your coast.

The 0 porbeagle TAC has also stopped visiting nations like the faroe islanders from fishing in Scottish waters

Fish stocks are so low on the west coast that the 25% ray bycatch limit has stopped a targeted fishery because there simply isn't enough of anything else to make up the other 75% It doesn't go far enough IMO but it's a start

Elasmobranches will always be caught as bycatch but the prevention of a targeted fishery has and will continue to reduce commercial catch levels.

Sharp protection is a relatively new thing and there is a long way to go but hopefully the community plan of action will tighten up the loopholes and implement sustainable shark management

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

O.K, Steve. But they must shoulder some of the blame.

Move on, silly boy!

Even SteveP knows who are the decision makers, so perhaps YOU should spend more time influencing them instead of wasting everyone's time on here.

And if you've got a decent argument against anything you don't like, let's see it.

Steve, I have barely engaged you in debate because you say nothing of substance ....

" ... missrepresentation here .... mouthpiece there ........."

Nothing, absolutely nothing .....

oh, I forgot .... MLSs are dear to your heart!

Apologies.

B)

Move on, silly boy!

Even SteveP knows who are the decision makers, so perhaps YOU should spend more time influencing them instead of wasting everyone's time on here.

Steve, I have barely engaged you in debate because you say nothing of substance ....

" ... missrepresentation here .... mouthpiece there ........."

Nothing, absolutely nothing .....

oh, I forgot .... MLSs are dear to your heart!

Apologies.

B)

You're just a mug, Ada. Always have been, always will be.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.