Bad weather - a near miss

Newt

Jeff, I kept moaning about what the weather could do to the fifth wheel and my sentimental other half's response? That's what they make insurance for :wallbash:

Hehe.. Funny that I think I've said the same thing to mine! About insurance I mean. That is the price for being mobile. If you see it coming you can always move. And that truck looked like it could easily do 40 mph faster than the storm towing the 5th wheel with it! (in fact I know it can!) You guys have nothing to worry about! :) Besides you only live once!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest Jan V
Hehe.. Funny that I think I've said the same thing to mine! About insurance I mean. That is the price for being mobile. If you see it coming you can always move. And that truck looked like it could easily do 40 mph faster than the storm towing the 5th wheel with it! (in fact I know it can!) You guys have nothing to worry about! :) Besides you only live once!

excepting for the fact we are still in the house, Jeff, and the fifth wheel is in the driveway along with the boat and our trucks. yesterday's supercell came up so quickly I'm not sure we would have had time to secure all that would need be in the fifth wheel, hook the boat up and still make a exodus.

Sorry Jan- I didn't mean to make light of the weather and your situation. I know also know how scary! I was not even aware that you had made the purchase already. :) I remember well how quick the weather can be (and violent). I've been through some hairy weather situations.. My father being one of those volunteer storm spotters and living in North Texas as well for a few years.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

I don't think she took it that way Jeff.

We can (and certainly intend to) leave ahead of any approaching hurricane but the fast stuff like this supercell leaves you with only the option of ducking for cover and in the event of a direct hit, seeing what is left after it passes.

The photos were from a friend who is also a storm spotter. I'm glad some folks are willing to do that but I perfer to look for shelter. Chicken I guess.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

When I was in the military in the late 90's I had the privilege of going with him on one of his spotting expeditions. This was in southern Wisconsin. The clouds had been building all day and remembering from my youth I knew to expect something later as all the birds were starting to flock together and the skies to darken. We got into his Ford ranger and made off up the road. At the top of the hill and into the first turn I pointed out that there was a funnel cloud. His immediate reply was 'nuh uh" :) We sat through many fast moving cells and eventually made it to the site of the first funnel. A barn had been demolished and debris was everywhere. There was a 16' long 8X12 beam that was sticking out of the ground near the barn but on the other side of the road. Then on the way home we ran into some really scary weather. Certainly more frightening than I had experienced up to then. The sky turned green and the rain started in horizontally rocking the ranger and scaring us half to death. We never did see if it was another tornado but I don't think for a moment that we weren't very close to one.

The dime sized hail caused more than $1000 damage to my then new dodge ram! And I didn't even take it on our excursion!

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Guest Jan V

Jeff, I don't handle storms well at all. More than once Newt has come home from work to be with me during a particularly bad storm. I can't fathom people purposely chasing the weather but I know they do.

when Newt turns up after fishing hand him a spade and insist you need a storm shelter ;)

if you have one already and still are scared your only option is moving or realise the worst thing that could happen is being pierced by a bit of the next door neighbours stick house or worse your own ,lying in agony for a few days until a doughnut filled rescuer steps on you crushing out your last breath ,your dog after a few hours ofcourse would start to eat your face and being pinned all you can do is mutter bad XXX until he finishes of his meal with a nice soft bit of tongue,strange way of showing affection in times of stress our canine friends have,i bet you feel happier now :D

good old chesters1 always puts peoples minds at rest.

ps its a strange and well documented fact dogs eat human faces ,some say the dogs stressed i say its just food to a dog ,all the time you provide it your face is ok ,dogs usually regard you as pack leader (not all do ) once the pack leader gets ill or weak they have no qualms finishing you off so they can spread their genes ,i expect eating faces means that if theres no return punishment then the leaders past bothering about.

your pooch looks small and cute all it means is the agony is prolonged far longer as they can enjoy their meal for a week or so having a smaller belly to fill.

take a test lie down on the floor ,i bet your dog comes over and licks your face ! "he's trying to wake me up ,its concerned" you cry!! ,NAH he's tasting you

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson