float making materials

hermes

No I do want to make floats but some time ago I was lucky enough to get hold of about 50 balsa bodies that take about 6-8 AA shot, they make wicked heavy bulk rigged trotting floats, I have used some of them but kind of don't want to use the rest till I can find some more, thats all.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Randy:

I have never found a place (here in the US) that had ready made bodies.

Randy, I've found readymade bodies made out of polystyrene or cork in such places as Big Lots, K Mart etc. They have bits of cotton through them for whatever reason. You may have to drill them out the right size. They are a bit big for UK style fishing but I only fish for carp and use suitable tackle so need a float that carries a lot of shot. You can find smaller versions with a tapered plastic insert that are ok for the light stuff or can be used as is for floaters. You may struggle getting a nice finish with polystyrene but the fish don't care and neither do I. I use bamboo skewers for the stems. I've made dozens over the years and give most away to American anglers who have never seen a real float (and don't know how to use one).

Hillbilly.

There is a small shop in Bromsgrove ,in the Midlands called Roy Huins Tackle,138 Worcester Road,Bromsgrove. Tel: 01527 833445

Give them a ring.If Ive had all of their big pre shaped cork bodies then I may be persuaded to let you have a few.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!