Fishing Etiquette

fruitloopy

On certain lakes I'd assume that he's having a well earned 'Stella nap' before the proper evening's drinking starts :rolleyes::D

Or on some waters, he could have been mugged and left lying there.

Then I'd be stuck with a problem.

Do I rush to his aid, or do I pass by, keeping below the sky line, just in case? :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would appear that we have established a new set of rules for waterside conduct

1, all dogs that set foot near any stretch of water should be shot on sight,

2, dont speak to any other anglers except to tell them to **** off out your way

3, walk everywhere like quasimodo, anyone daring to break the skyline will be shot with the dogs

4, anyone on the floor is either stalking, drunk, or fell victim to mugging

i will be expecting to see them on my next fishing permit with the usual keep nets, barbless hooks only, not littering etc,

:lol:

it would appear that we have established a new set of rules for waterside conduct

1, all dogs that set foot near any stretch of water should be shot on sight,

2, dont speak to any other anglers except to tell them to **** off out your way

3, walk everywhere like quasimodo, anyone daring to break the skyline will be shot with the dogs

4, anyone on the floor is either stalking, drunk, or fell victim to mugging

i will be expecting to see them on my next fishing permit with the usual keep nets, barbless hooks only, not littering etc,

:lol:

Thanks...I now have the message I will be putting on my sign behind me when I am fishing, or on the back of my chair, or my cold lifeless mugged body.

I'm reading Jim Gibbinson's 'Grevel Pit Carp' at the moment. I think Jim will be nodding in agreement if he sees this thread!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In my opinion a quiet "Any Luck pal" is not intrusive and also part of the sport. I agree that some of the reports on here do take mick a little but if you can't have a natter on the bank then there is someting wrong. I know you intend to catch but I seem to do fairly well while talking to my neigbour and answering the queries such as "watch you catching on pal" and the likes.

Two words mate: "free water".

Any free water in a city is going to attract the wrong kind of angler. Tells the wife he's off for a nice day's fishing, meets up with a mate and a dozen cans of Special Brew. The kind that flings out a couple of gobstopper boilies on 3lb test curve rods with 25lb line and a size 4 hook with a barb the size of a kitchen knife. No unhooking mat in sight, just a sea of used line, crisp and pastie packets, fag buts and empty cans of beer.

I'd sooner get down to a canal, often free (or cheap annual membership) and still some decent sized fish in there (in general).

I feel your frustration mate, I have been there before and it's not nice.

Cheers,

Simon

I fished a free lake the other day,and it was like you have just described.Filth all over beer cans, packets,tins,broken pegs.obligatory chav's with there carp rods, sea hooks, and bite alarms,and i had my best days fishing this year sitting in the middle of it.had three nice 4lb+ tench and proper bag of silvers.Such a shame people don't respect what they have got.I cleaned up after myself it takes no time to put your crap away keep britain tidy.I was raised on that you get some lazy so and so's who just throw there crap in the grass and becouse someone else see's it they do the same.just lazy and not just free waters aswell my club has it's share of litter bugs.

KEEP BRITAIN TIDY :) shaun

i am 26 so sort of in the middle of the miserable old farts and the young loud mouths,

There are just as many loud mouth old farts as there are miserable young.. Oh you get the idea..

I prefer to fish alone but more often than not I offer to take someone just so I CAN go fishing. :D If I have to pay for the privilege to fish by myself I gladly will and I don't see many people fishing unless its a match day and all the pegs are full anyway.

I think many people have actually lost interest in my area. The PA car parks are all over grown, the tackle shop has been sold off and there's only one place to get a day ticket. Anyone want to go fishing? :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

In my opinion a quiet "Any Luck pal" is not intrusive and also part of the sport. I agree that some of the reports on here do take mick a little but if you can't have a natter on the bank then there is someting wrong. I know you intend to catch but I seem to do fairly well while talking to my neigbour and answering the queries such as "watch you catching on pal" and the likes.

I agree with that, sometimes it can be good t have a chat to other anglers, usually you can tell from the first few words wether people are friendly or not.

At the weekend I saw a chap deadbaiting a local pond, went round as I was moving swims and asked wether it was okay to fish near him, also interested to see if he'd had any luck as I don't often see fellow pikers out and about. Ended up doing a lot of nattering and not much fishing....got some good info. on the water though and the fish that have come out etc. This chap was friendly even though he had a bivvy up and two rods....well I never!!!! lol :D

I have no problem talking to others and passing friendly advice between each other is a great way to learn, the person who you talk to could very well be a 'Veteran' of that water and know all its secrets. My niggle is the way that some anglers approach your swim, either with a complete lack of idea or just no respect.

I have had some great advice from other anglers on a local water which has paid of some great results.

But just as badboybubbie says above, its also great fun to lift several fish out of the water in front of the chavs who dont have any respect or idea. I usually end up picking up the rubbish from a peg before I fish there, I just dont want the places I go to get closed down because of all the crap left behind by others, especially open cans of bloody sweetcorn!

it always puzzles me why people can carry a tin of sweetcorn to a lake but never manage to take the empty tin away when in fact it is lighter and should be easier to carry

them packs that dead baits come in are always scattered around my local lake too

i often feel guilty and find myself carrying away other peoples crap so no one thinks i left it,

i went for a walk around one of the lakes i fish last night (with the dog sorry gozzer) and it looks like a bin lorry as crashed into the lake with all the empty fizzy drinks bottles, chrisp packets and so on

at least these warm weather anglers dont get to surface too often thanks to the usual brittish weather