Fishing Etiquette

fruitloopy

it always puzzles me why people can carry a tin of sweetcorn to a lake but never manage to take the empty tin away when in fact it is lighter and should be easier to carry

them packs that dead baits come in are always scattered around my local lake too

i often feel guilty and find myself carrying away other peoples crap so no one thinks i left it,

i went for a walk around one of the lakes i fish last night (with the dog sorry gozzer) and it looks like a bin lorry as crashed into the lake with all the empty fizzy drinks bottles, chrisp packets and so on

at least these warm weather anglers dont get to surface too often thanks to the usual brittish weather

+1

I always end up removing other people's beer cans, sweetcorn tins and deadbait packets from the river...I just don't like seeing it there.

Problem is the next time I go there it's always the same again :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of beer cans maybe we should be adopting the same techniques as the Aussies in beer management!

Aussie straps in beer and not child in car

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

I was going to post that on the non fish forum, to see what our members down under thought about it.

Stereotypical Aussie, doesn't give a XXXX about anything but his beer. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It would be nice if some of the anglers on some of the waters Ive fished would talk! Yes I agree that you need to show a bit of common sense when aproaching another angler in some situations but come on! I too come from the days when an angler comming on to the water would speak to all others he passed no matter how briefly.I also remember when fisheries were that crowded (even rivers!) that it was common to have to fish quite close to each other." Morning mate,caught much,mind if I drop in next to you?" was common bankside etiquette.

I think that a lot of it (allthough often blamed on the increase of carp fishing and its resulting "expert" attitude by myself) is in reality just a reflection of how we all interact in modern society.Most seem scared to interact and behave/give the image of agression just to stop others (who they see as a potential threat) getting to close. Shame really.

Oops sorry that was a bit heavy wasnt it! Should have done a degree in phsycology instead of aquaculture but I couldnt spell it!

On a lighter note a quick annecdote-

When fishing a well known Kent carp water in the Winter for pike my mate and I would pass many a pleasant day indulging in the great pass time of "outing the carp angler"! After having got sick (normally late on a Friday evening as they all came down to set up for the weekend) of an endless stream of Crapyobs struggling past us ladened like beasts of burden but never a word/acknowledgement from them.We developed "outing". As each carper/group of carpers passed we would take turns in trying to make them speak to us as they passed our camp! The person who scored the highest won the prize of not having to carry the livebait bucket back!

And I tell you it wasnt easy to get a response! The lengths we would go to they must have thought us mad! Some of the proper carp anglers clicked on to it though and found it just as amusing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

lol @ Budgie, good story!

Do agree with you on the reasons people are quiet./unfriendly...I think a lot of it is an attempt to portray the image of experience and not to let you get too close to realise they're probably doing things completely wrong!

On a lighter note a quick annecdote-

When fishing a well known Kent carp water in the Winter for pike my mate and I would pass many a pleasant day indulging in the great pass time of "outing the carp angler"! After having got sick (normally late on a Friday evening as they all came down to set up for the weekend) of an endless stream of Crapyobs struggling past us ladened like beasts of burden but never a word/acknowledgement from them.We developed "outing". As each carper/group of carpers passed we would take turns in trying to make them speak to us as they passed our camp!

I do a similar thing where I dig my sea fishing bait, but with the male 'doggers' who hang about in the woods that we walk through :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As I was kind of stalking or at least trying to stay out of sight in a difficult area I think I may put up a sign behind me to advise others of what I am doing and what they should do.

Any suggestions what I should put on this sign? :D

You could do what a "Named" carp angler (ex carp magazine editor) did when I saw him down Orchid lakes, he put a sign on his bivvy saying "F*** Off" in large bold letters.

I do a similar thing where I dig my sea fishing bait, but with the male 'doggers' who hang about in the woods that we walk through :D

As Wingham gets closer and the more of your posts I read Im really starting to thank my lucky stars that Im not on the Carp lake Elton :unsure::D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just to eke this topic even further as regards etiquette......

I fish on a site with two small(ish) lakes seperated by a walkway between the two, in places wide enough to sit between the lakes to fish the margins...in others only wide enough to walk (or maybe fit a box)

One sunny morning, myself and another angler both trotted out to the lakeside. I bag myself a corner of one lake, setup my rods and rests ...clearly pointing in a general direction of where I was going to fish to...aiming for the margin of the walkway near to some reeds (a notorious spot for the carp). The other angler proceeds to setup ON the walkway, a pole fisher BTW, fishing into the immediate corner nearest to me on the next lake. Not a problem I thought ... until I catch him shipping his pole ends back, making considerable noise, sky lining himself and dropping the pole ends into the water .... you guessed it, precisely where I was fishing to.

Surprisingly enough the commotion seemed to ruin my days fishing, only catching a couple of lively 3-4lb carp ... the other angler caught diddly squat *surprise*

Being the generous fella that I am, I left him be .... although I admit to being a little naughty and cast a few method feeders literally a foot behind him *angelic expression*

Next day, when I couldn't really be bothered with the fishing, said angler is out .... you guessed it, same peg I had the previous day fishing to the margins near the walkway.

Obviously he decided he was going to be a t**t the day before and generally annoy me as I got the peg he wanted.

Rich

When I were a lad ( Que Hovis music ) in the 30's - 40's, I would walk along the river Ouse at Olney in Buckinghamshire looking for a fishing spot, there were swims cleared of reeds and a stick with a note pinned to it that read something like "this swim has been cleared and baited and will be fished on such and such a date...Signed Blah Blah", no one would touch that swim until after the date on the note, this was a regular thing, might be up to 8 to 10 swims along that meadow

It's a shame but I can't see that sort of thing happening today, life was a lot more civilized then, at least thats how I remember it

To fish the other side of the river we used to climb up the buttress of the Railway bridge and crawl across inside the ironwork over the river with our fishing rod Etc., because we knew we weren't allowed to go along the Railway lines, which really would probably have been much safer

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive