FIRST STEPS....

Janet

Janet, you are still a young'n . . . '25' is no age . . . :P When it comes to getting down and dirty I often cheat . . . :whistling: These two pics are both low, very low angles, I hold the camera at an appropriate height, 'red flower' was knee height, wet morning in the garden, no way was I getting 'down and dirty' and the fern was all but on the leaf litter, a shot grabbed at work in good clothes . . . line it up, not quite hope for the best as I have an idea what I want. Usually set a wider angle than I think is required, press the shutter, click!!! View the picture on the screen, every one a surprise :D Half a dozen attempts at one shot is normal, I then choose the best, crop and adjust at home and dump the dross, often the lot!!! The fern was an idea I had for a 'Jurassic landscape' :huh: The flower was a crop that came from a session in the garden as I keep a picture diary of 'how the garden grows'.

FurnrwDSC_1036.jpg

FlowersimplesDSC_1074.jpg

Not ideal, but a way around a problem that is not going to get better . . . <_< Its a pitty low angles often work well.

Poppies,

For what its worth this is what I would do with what is avaliable, removing the destractions?

1Poppy3787369895_a4159f03561.jpg

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Yes please! Be as picky as you like - I'll never learn otherwise.....it's all very well folk saying "well done, nice shot" etc (and believe me I really appreciate those encouraging remarks!) but without constructive criticism, I'll never improve, will I?

I tried to focus on the head and body, sort of hoping the wings would follow! I do seem to struggle to get detail in anything white or yellow? We have some rather nice bindweed intertwined with ivy down by the river, but although I can see the detail, the camera doesn't pick it up.

It was a very bright, sunny day - would it have made any difference if I'd taken it later when the sun wasn't so intense? However, I had to grab the chance when I could - and I'm glad I did....it was a very breezy morning and later in the day it got very windy, so close-ups were nigh on impossible! I am SO disappointed with the pictures I took of the poppies...I don't think I had a single one that was clear and sharp, out of about the 50 or so I took! It was the first time I've ever come across a cornfield full of poppies, and this was my one chance to capture it...but now I know where they are, I'll be back next year! I'm sure they'll be gone by the time I go back at the end of August.

As for RAW? I don't understand it - I'm afraid it goes way over my head! If someone can give me a simple explanation as to the merits, I'd be very interested. I believe this camera can shoot RAW? I made sure it did, even though I'm just beginning, as I wanted to make sure that I got a camera that would give me the opportunity to grow as I learn without having to pay out too much.

If I'm right in what I've read, RAW requires a lot of post-processing, so please bear in mind that I'm still also on a very steep learning curve with E7! I tend to do no more than crop and possibly adjust the levels slightly or maybe remove a small defect....anything else is beyond me at the moment, and my time is very limited.

I don't know if I'm going about it the right way, but I'm trying to make sure I capture the image I want without having to do too much messing around.

Still, I'm loving every minute of it, which is what it's all about, isn't it?

Janet

I'd be interested in others comments on the white a yellow problem, I can see it in the 'Dandelion/Bee' and the 'open wings of the Butterfly'. I'd put it down to strong sun? but as I have mentioned, this may be a case of burnout that could be corrected/controled in RAW? I believe a 'Sky 1B' (my choice) filter has a bearing on reflected light and colour, and of course, I believe, the more modern 'UV filter', how much or how effective ???????????????? Afraid the old dyslexic brain has forgotten the whys and wherefores . . . :wallbash: I'll have to have a search on the web . . .

In any case its about time someone else had a chip in . . . :marinheiro:

SW

Don't talk to me about filters!

I was given a polarising filter, and fitted it to one of the lenses to try during the lovely bright sunshine ...unfortunately it was cross-threaded, and I was stuck with it all weekend, as none of us could remove it! It's meant that many of the photo's I took during the rather overcast afternoon have been a bit disappointing.

Luckily the camera shop have been brilliant, and managed to remove it without much difficulty. It appears that it wasn't my fault, but a dodgy filter and they are going to replace it free of charge or refund the cost.

Excellent service!

In any case its about time someone else had a chip in . . .

I wish they would! It's very quite on here at the moment!

Janet

Don't talk to me about filters!

I was given a polarising filter, and fitted it to one of the lenses to try during the lovely bright sunshine ...unfortunately it was cross-threaded, and I was stuck with it all weekend, as none of us could remove it! It's meant that many of the photo's I took during the rather overcast afternoon have been a bit disappointing.

Luckily the camera shop have been brilliant, and managed to remove it without much difficulty. It appears that it wasn't my fault, but a dodgy filter and they are going to replace it free of charge or refund the cost.

Excellent service!

I wish they would! It's very quite on here at the moment!

Janet

I trust you/they have checked the thread on the lens has not been damaged, that could be an expensive problem? Sorry, sceptical me again <_<

SW

I'm pleased to say that the lens is fine...they were very careful! They checked it with various filters afterwards, and all seemed OK. It appears that I had a rogue faulty one and I'm very happy with their offer to replace/refund.

I'm off for an early fishing session tomorrow...I think I'll spend more time with Olly and Sammy than I will fishing!

Being picked up very early to take the rotty for a walk in the woods, then on the lake for around six. The forecast is very good, so I'm hoping for some nice early morning shots with that lovely light.

Despite having my new toy, I'm still happy to take my compact along. There seems to be a place for both?

Oh well...you'll see the results shortly!

Janet

Yes Janet, great weather over both days . . . the tides are right too, I should be off up the river after some bass . . . struggling to muster up the enthusiasm? . . . if I go it will be Sunday morning, if??? Problem is, no one to get enthusiastic with, I have always thought 'alone' was great, but after many years, things have changed, its seems to be waring a bit thin recently :sad2:

I might just take the camera and search out some unusual watery shots, you cant do that if some one else is on board, they get board, unless its Hazel, shes happy enough, bless her :wub:

A bass trip is good cos it usually only comprises about 2 hours fishing, then the bass go off the feed, fishing goes dead. So wash the hands, clean up, and do a little creek creeping, birds, a seal if your lucky, beaches can be interesting from the water with tree and dune like back drops. Sounds like the 300mm lens and a mono-pod might be needed?

We have a full blown Seal colony a couple of miles around the Harwich headland . . . and I have never been there, what a photo opportunity B)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior