Should Carp have pet names?

Dales

Did he once catch a record brownie and refuse to claim because it was stocked at a record weight?

Or was it someone else, but RW argued against it standing as a record?

It was a rainbow, Dick caught it and declined to claim the record.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a rainbow, Dick caught it and declined to claim the record.

Thanks Dave, I did say my memory was a bit vague, but I thought I'd at least get the fish right. :wallbash:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

And yet he fished for them...often. I entered into a discussion about the merits or otherwise about huge stocked trout in AT with Dick.

Den

One of the reasons Dick fished those waters was that he was browned off with the attention and some abuse he was attracting at places like Grafham Water. If he failed to get his bag limit one or two were questioning his authority to give advice on trout fishing in the angling press. There were other problems too and while Dick was quite capable of dealing with attacks of that nature, it is not something he wanted when he was fishing, so the smaller fisheries became a more practical venue for him.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

More likely it was the stocking of every puddle between here and there with carp!

There could be some truth in that and I have to say that we were responsible in some cases. For example the carp in Snowberry Lake were fish that Dick, FJT and I moved from a small piece of canal in Buckinghamshire. The fish had been bought from Leney - the supplier of the carp in Redmire - and put into the canal as fingerlings. They grew at a tremendous rate and in next to no time they were averaging about 5 or 6lbs. They were removed by eletro fishing but one or two escaped and some years later, Rod Lane caught one in the canal of over 20lbs. Unfortunately a year or so later, the piece of canal was polluted and all of the fish in it were killed.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Dick ... was browned off with the attention and some abuse he was attracting at places like Grafham Water. ....................while Dick was quite capable of dealing with attacks of that nature, it is not something he wanted when he was fishing,

Unfortunately that is one of the prices of fame.

It is strange how anyone who is any good at anything seems to attract life's losers like a magnet.

Well-known sportsmen can't have a quiet drink in a pub without being confronted by some drunken wally trying to "prove" something - usually his own (inadequate) masculinity. If the confrontation gets out of hand, and the wally receives a well-deserved bunch of fives in his teeth - guess who the media pillory ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...