Should Carp have pet names?

Dales

What alway tickles me when it comes to carps pet names. They alway seem to reflect the species.

Eg dumpy

dippy

flippy

frumpy

gut bucket

bob

bill

Etc

During my serious carping times i only named a fish once. It was a leather about 14ib and a caught it a couple of times during one summer. It was the roughest fish i have ever handled, It was like sand paper to the touch, Like a doggy, So i called it old roughty. Dont know why i just did. Its still about and still called the same, last i heard it was about thirty pound

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark my words! there will come a day when we will all regard the days that carp were named with a certain fondness and nostalgia for the "old days"! I say this as I see the day when names wont be needed to identify/refer to individual fish.All carp of size will be eventually micro chipped and their every need catered for like the monster (monsterous?) trout grown by the trout farmers! all based on the info from the chip! No need to weigh them anymore just "scan" them! Great for location as well and to end fish theft...............................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Will those chips organically break down when said carp is consigned to the vegetable patch?

Look Waller you may take the pee but I will have you know Im a world leading authority on Fish and Chips!

Any way you obviously know nothing about todays techno carp scene! The chip will be removed and displayed along with photos of the deceased deity in the "Carp hall of rememberance" (previously known as Westminster Abbey).

I can picture the place now.....Realtree clad "priests" carrying their items of office such as Greys rods and big pit reels,swinging incence burners full of Monster Crab,leading the faithfull (also realtree clad) slightly inebreated and stoned in to the building.Showing them to the correct row of Nash guest chairs.

Once all are seated the "high Priest" (Cliff Fox maybe?) imerges from his inner sanctum bivvy and wheels the embalmed bodies of Clarrisa,Mary and Benson out on a Load Shifter in front of the congregation. (much hysterical wailing and hushed intakes of breath) The faithfull are then invited to file past the bodies to pay their respects.After they are given a 18mm Tutti Frutti to suck on,a swig of Nodd oil ,several trade catalogues and asked to make a donation to CRAP (Carp Religion Against Peanuts).

Ridiculous? no more than whats allready going on! :rolleyes:

I'm almost tempted to suggest that you are taking the uric, Budgie.

Perhaps 'Planet of the Apes' should be re-done as 'Planet of the Carp'.

I wonder, will Benson's realtree shroud become a revered relic?

Look Waller you may take the pee but I will have you know Im a world leading authority on Fish and Chips!

Any way you obviously know nothing about todays techno carp scene! The chip will be removed and displayed along with photos of the deceased deity in the "Carp hall of rememberance" (previously known as Westminster Abbey).

I can picture the place now.....Realtree clad "priests" carrying their items of office such as Greys rods and big pit reels,swinging incence burners full of Monster Crab,leading the faithfull (also realtree clad) slightly inebreated and stoned in to the building.Showing them to the correct row of Nash guest chairs.

Once all are seated the "high Priest" (Cliff Fox maybe?) imerges from his inner sanctum bivvy and wheels the embalmed bodies of Clarrisa,Mary and Benson out on a Load Shifter in front of the congregation. (much hysterical wailing and hushed intakes of breath) The faithfull are then invited to file past the bodies to pay their respects.After they are given a 18mm Tutti Frutti to suck on,a swig of Nodd oil ,several trade catalogues and asked to make a donation to CRAP (Carp Religion Against Peanuts).

Ridiculous? no more than whats allready going on! :rolleyes:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: LOVE IT.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I wonder, will Benson's realtree shroud become a revered relic?

Strange you should mention that Peter but I did notice a rather strange stain on my groundbait towel the other day..............

Clarissa?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I named my goldfish Bubbles,..........................it died. :(

John.

I don't fish for carp or goldfish very often, but I do name spangled emperors I catch. I generally call them either lunch or dinner. They die too. ;)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Clarissa?

Den

But Den, Clarissa was put in the aquarium and kept more like a pet, (like my 'Bubbles' :) ), not used as a swimming commercial advert to rake in the punters. It's that, and the whole carp circus that is enticed to move from water to water, chasing the latest 'named' fish that makes it look so ridiculous.

It's not just carp either, the same thing happens with other fish, notably barbel and pike.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John