Russian pike on American hook

Nodin

The fact that Russians have just won both team and individual gold in the world spinning (lure fishing) championship in Portugal made me rather inthuziastic, so I put aside float fishing tackle for a while and took my spinning rod&reel.
On the Friday evening I went to the river in half a mile from my country bungaloo and had a success, taking 2 perch and a chub on tiny Mepps spinner almost in the dask. Next morning I was eager to continue that, but in half an hour two pikes "ate" my two and only Mepps. I even remember the smart face of on pike, almost lauphing at me.
Revange was what I wanted, so I hurried home, took a thicker line and a couple of spoons, eguiped with American circle hooks, kindly presented to me by Newt and delieved in a regular postal envelope. Back on the river I took a two-pound pike almost at once, then another in 20 minutes and also had a strike. The rain made me leave, but I was happy having so many bites. The local river is rather shallow and running fast, so pike stays very close to the bank, where weeds and snags are. So, circle hooks are perfect for this place. Thank you, Newt!
Next time I plan to try circle hooks with spinners.

Edited by Nodin

Privet! Nodin..nice going with the circle hooks.

I dont remember reading about russia invading portugal :D:D:D

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Nicholai - I'm glad to hear the hooks are working well for you and very glad to hear the fish are biting. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That was politics and I think it was the Big Boys that didn't talk much. Or maybe it was just that sailors did talk.

I can remember trading tobacco and unit patches and other odds and ends with Russians when my ship made a port call at the same time as a Soviet vessel in the early 70s. I gotta tell you that those guys were tough though. Anybody who could smoke their fags on a regular basis had my respect.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President