Five Day Fishing Session + A New PB!

natty

I have just got back from a 5 day session at Hawkhurst Fishery in Kent, this is how I got on:

I arrived on sunday evening at around 7pm and set up in a nice looking swim:

371388802.jpg

I fished with two rods: one for catfish with either halibut pellets, mackerel chunks, squid pieces or luncheon meat, the other for carp with either Carp Vader jelly hooker pellets or boilies.

Once it started to get dark, I realised that I had left all of my lights/torches and night fishing equipment in the garage. So I was only going to be able to fish up to around 10pm and wouldn't be able to start fishing to around 4am, the only positive was that atleast I would get a few hours sleep every night!

The first half of the 5 days fishing was hard, I caught plenty of carp but none of the big uns came my way, I had loads of singles and a few low doubles.

Here is one of the low doubles caught just after casting out at 4am:

371388500.jpg

I also had 2 kittens over the first couple of days, here's one of them!:

371388473.jpg

On the 3rd day I managed to catch several more carp with the biggest being this mirror of around mid doubles:

371388517.jpg

I also had 2 slightly bigger cats of between 5lb and 7lb, here's one of them:

371388564.jpg

Later on that day I also lost a big cat on my carp rod - it snapped my 12lb mainline.

Day four (thursday) was slow, apart from a couple of small commons at around 11am. At around 6pm, I had a screaming take on my cat rod, my strike was met with something that felt very heavy, after a few seconds it woke up and went on several long runs, I eventually got it into my margins and a big catfish tail slapped on the surface, it looked massive and I was relieved when it was in the net.

My PB catfish before the trip was 13lb 6oz and this cat looked about double that size! On the scales I was delighted to see them read out 27lb 10oz.

Here it is:

371388538.jpg

371388553.jpg

Two hours later that evening I had another screaming take on my cat rod. The sheer power of this catfish was incredible, it was like being hooked too a train, it was stripping line off the reel like there was no tomorrow and made the 27lber feel like a baby! Just as I thought I may have a chance of landing it, the hook pulled. I didn't see it at all, but I would say it was over 40lb, quite possibly a lot larger (the cats go over 80lb in the lake and a 60lber came out of my swim five weeks ago).

Friday was my final day, I only had one bite all day, but it turned out to be something special. I had a slow take on my cat rod in the morning and when I struck the fish just kept going, it fought harder than the 27lber but still not in the same league as the biggie I lost the evening before. After 15 minutes I eventually had the catfish in the net, it looked even bigger than the 27lber and very close to the special 30lb mark. The scales just crept past the 30lb mark and settled on 30lb 12oz - another new PB and my first 30lb+ fish!

Here it is (im not smiling due to it being very heavy and awkward to hold!):

371388578.jpg

371388594.jpg

Overall, the fishing was certainly challenging and even though I landed 24 carp over the five days, unfortunately nothing above mid doubles came along. However, catching six catfish, including the two big uns of 27lb 10oz and 30lb 12oz made it a very special and memorable trip.

A nice write-up, well illustrated, and a couple of spanking cats.

It was interesting to see the two very different colouration schemes on the two fish - one quite dark with nicely coloured pink anal fin, and the other much lighter. Both handsome fish.

Well done.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Some top cats, it looks like all the hours you put in paid off.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek