close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

The close season is nearly upon us, and it raises a question about whether it's OK to get round the rules. In my local waters, mainly the Kennet, there's a sprinkling of trout, and I've heard of people spinning 'for trout' and bagging up on perch. I've also heard of people, anglers I respect, bait-fishing 'for trout' elsewhere and mainly catching grayling.

There are two questions.

One, what is the letter of the law? Does it make any difference whether you're spinning or bait-fishing?

Two, what do anglers generally consider to be reasonable?

john clarke

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would need to have a licence for migratory trout and salmon. You would also have to use suitable tackle. The spirit of the law is obvious to anyone with a half a brain! My opinion of anglers who break the rules on this issue is that they are neither anglers nor sportsmen and are little better than Peter Collins. Whilst there are acres of still waters available I see no reason for people to flout the rules in this way, they are just plain selfish, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :mad:

There is a general breakdown of respect, understandably maybe, of the law in this country. People who break the close season have no respect for the law. But what is worse they have no respect for their colleagues who do obey the sporting laws of our wonderful sport.

[ 10. March 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I suppose it depends on what you can expect to catch on a particular river.

If it's maily a trout water (like some of my local brooks) then targetting the trout by only using worms or lures might not be unreasonable. If there are only a few trout, then clearly the anglers are taking the mickey.

Sounds like a job for clearer local by-laws.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Spot on GlennB. We have two particular guiding services for pike on the Broads. Both offer sea-trout fly-fishing during the close season, both know just how few sea-trout run up the Broadland rivers. Both are taking the juice and kidding no one. Yep, the sea-pike season starts on Monday, parasites.

When we had the old closed season it always dissapointed me how some well known waters used to flout the law by stocking a few hundred rainbows then allowing people to bivvy up and fish for them with boillies :mad: More to the point the authorities never did anything about it :mad: :mad:

This buisness of "sea pike" is even more disturbing.However it is sadly a sign of the times.Not many years ago a stunt like this would have destroyed a guiding companys reputation,these days it is seen as a "cool stroke" and the assholes who do it as stars.

But I doubt that the EA will do anything.Ah well at least some things never change..........

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

my club book for the stretch of the derwent i fish states that fishing in the close season is allowed, but maggots and keep nets must not be used, thats it, no other rules. seems designed for people to carry on catching coarse fish, rather than target the trout (which are there, but not in great numbers)

Jeepster

I think you will find that the EA rules for your area allow worm,minnow or artificial baits ie.flies or spinnners for trout.There are a few on your club stretch but not huge numbers.

Other baits are not allowed by the EA as far as I am aware and, as you know, I fish not far away from you.

Best wishes

DF

River contains trout, fisherman has a license so what is the problem?

I was catching grayling from the Itchen last year until they spawned in May............should l be fishing for oversized livebait instead?

This buisness of "sea pike" is even more disturbing.However it is sadly a sign of the times.Not many years ago a stunt like this would have destroyed a guiding companys reputation,these days it is seen as a "cool stroke" and the assholes who do it as stars.

Stones in a glass house Budgie?? As we all know from your views it is each to their own!!