close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

Markward, the problem is these people are "really" fishing for coarse fish, using the pretence of fishing for trout. Whether you agree with the closed season or not is immaterial, the law stands that the close season is maintained on rivers to protect spawning fish. End of.

In my book people who break the law or who twist things to their own advantage, as in this case are one and the same. I for one will not be trotting a bait in a river until June 16th ( my local river is also the Itchen )

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think I am hearing is:

1. Technically you are within the law fishing with bait or spinner if there are trout in the water. So, presumably, the EA can't do anything about it, as they can only enforce the law? Or are we saying they have power to introduce different regulations, such as, no fishing for trout or coarse fish in the Kennet in the coarse close season?

2. Most anglers think it unsporting to fish for trout in the coarse close season unless there is a reasonable expectation that (at least 50%?) of the fish will actually be trout.

I think I can go with that, tempted as I am!

john clarke

Last May we went as a family day out, to a local Country Park, we walked along the bank of the Severn. In one of the pegs was what I would describe as a youth of about 16/17, with all his tackle set out.

" And what are you after" I asked, "I'm only using worms" was his reply, now as he never mentioned Eels or Trout, [very few Trout in the Middle Severn] I said "The River is closed till June 16th". The wife gave me one of her looks so I walked on. We passed back that way about an hour later and he was gone.

Now my question is, barring the fact that I had the family with me, and the wife doesn't like a scene, what recourse would I have, if I really wanted to move him. It was a Sunday afternoon, the E.A. nah! I doubt they would be interested, the Police, even more of a NAH!!

So come on what would you have done, if anything?

Darrell Cook's posting is a pretty much it, go with that one!

I think John, that the 'atleast 50% of the fish caught will actually be trout' is a tad short of the mark.

As for being tempted, no need. Go 100% for trout!

River contains trout, fisherman has licence, so what's the problem? The problem is one of deceipt, deception, of intent to catch out of season coarse fish. Some people need to grow up!

A year or so ago my local river was stocked with a few hundred brownies. Since then I've only caught 5. The largest only 18". The last one I actually saw was when I took my little girl fishing last July.

With that in mind I can't justify fly-fishing the river. It's open for trout during the close season. I've fished nymphs and every other fly I can think of for grayling and never once caught a trout. So unless I go to one of the reservoirs or trout fisheries I'm hanging up my rods.

Time to play catch-up in the garden anyway.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Colin Brett:

Does the Yare have a run of Salmon or Sea Trout?

If it does it's in for some hammer.

It seems the world and his brothers are all fishing it at present.  God knows what will happen when they find out about the migatory fish in it.

Colin

Personally Colin I think it is totally out of order. Trouble is that there are clients who are prepared to pay their hundred pounds to these parasites for a days fishing in the fairly false hope that they might just catch a nuisance trout just to justfy the whole sorry charade.

[ 11. March 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

In Scotland you simply cannot use a method deemed as species indiscriminate. If a water has Perch and Trout for instance, this means you cannot spin for Perch during the close season. Spinning is indiscriminate and you stand every chance of hooking a Trout, therefore, spinning is simply not allowed...no matter what you say.

"What are you doing son?...it's the close season"

"Erm...I'm spinning for Perch"..a likely story.

"And you have a Trout proof spinner do you?"

"Err well no"

"Perch or not, it's the close season and spinning isn't allowed...disappear mate or the Police will be called"

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The sitaution in Scotland is not as sensible as you make out (as I'm sure you know) because coarse fishing doesn't exist legally. The law exists *only* to protect sea trout and salmon. Even brown trout come in for a hard time. If you buy a trout permit, it will usually say that you have to give wat to someone with a salmon / sea trout licence who fancies the pool you're fishing!

Imagine that in England, just casting over a nice run and someone appears and tell you to hop it and there's nothing you can do!

There are several lochs with game fishing interests where pike fishing is 'tolerated', but that is only because someone put a lot of time and effort into convincing the poweres that be that they were genuinely interested in only catching pike! Legally they could stop all fishing other than bona fide salmon fishing all year 'round.

A couple of points.I always thought that fishing for eels with worm and no float was quite legal in the River Severn during the coarse fish close season?

Surely the issue here is intentionally targetting out of season fish whilst claiming to fish for in season fish?

Mark you are probabley right.My only defence is that I am quite open on my veiws on live baiting/transporting and dont pretend I am whiter than white by trying to cover up my intentions.Regardless of your opinions of my views on the live bait issue surely you cant condone the intentional targetting of out of season fish? Especially when some one is doing it so blatently for financial gain?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!