Unhooking eels

slodger

I've recently had a look at the National Anguilla club site. Their reccomendation is to leave the hook behind in any deep hooking situation and cut the line as close to the eels mouth as is safely possible. Good advice IMO. Eels and disgorgers do not generally mix well. I've found in the past that, despite their tough exteriors, eels are incredibly easily damaged by probing around the throat area with such implements as disgorgers.

Anyway, I think I may have come up with a helpful way of lessening the impact of any hooks that have to be left behind, and I thought I'd pass the tip on for consideration by other eel anglers.

The simple change I've made is to create my hooklength from a loop. I.e I form a loop of around 6-8" depending on how I'm fishing. By attaching the hook onto the extended loop, in the event of a deeply hooked eel, I can simply snip one side of the loop with scissors and pull ALL of the hooklength material free of the eels mouth/throat, leaving absolutely nothing but the hook behind.

Any comments chaps?

Regards Chris

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Excellent idea Chris :)

By the way, has anyone tried using small circle hooks for eels?

They seem to work quite well for perch which suffer similar problems of deep-hooking (but with a very different mouth structure).

http://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/

http://eelnac.freeforums.org/

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have never actually had a deep hooked Eel but would try and remove the hook if possible. I may trial these circle hooks by experimenting with them on another rod. anything to protect our fish stocks.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

By the way, has anyone tried using small circle hooks for eels?

Is there anything you won't try circle hooks for??

What is it with circle hooks you find so fascinating Leon? I'm just asking but it seems to be the only thing you talk about these days, like they're the answer to all your hook problems....whatever they were in the first place.

If they were that good, more people than just you and a few others would be using them.

Hook patterns are different shapes for a reason (you know that obviously) so why even bother trying circles with eel? What is it you think circles that will solve? I don't think they'll solve deep-hooking eels.

A T-bar or an anti-gorge device will serve the purpose perfectly well and has done for years.

I can't see how circles could or would do a better job, than a device that prevent them gorging baits in the first place.

....andy.... :huh:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Is there anything you won't try circle hooks for??

Hi Andy,

I certainly wouldn't use circles for trout.

The greedy buggers will take a bait straight down, and due to the way their mouth and throat are constructed, delayed hooking with circles is so often way back in the throat, and difficult to unhook with a disgorger.

If you are used to rolling out circle hooks, then it is possible using forceps (but difficult).

But I now avoid using circles when fishing for (say) perch, where there is a good chance of hooking a trout instead.

So, certainly not a solution for all problems.

In fact my initial experiment was to see if these would be usesful for numpties fishing for pike, where often deep-hooking occurs and they don't have the skills to deal with it (nor seem that interested in learning to deal with pike properly).

But although I now use circles as a matter of routine for my own piking and perch fishing (and bass), there is a learning curve in both succesful hooking and dealing with a hooked fish, so I wouldn't promote them as a 'cure all' by any means.

Eels (like perch) have vital organs high up near to their throat, and poking about with instruments such as disgorgers can easily cause fatal damage, even if the fish seems to swim away well after unhooking (thus the advice by the NAC to leave the hook in situ and cut the line, rather than poking around with a disgorger).

As circles are designed to avoid hooking down the throat or deeper, and in most cases lead to a lip-hooked fish, I was wondering whether anyone had tried them for eels and if so whether we were looking at beneficial outcomes, or the situation that seems to happen with trout.

Angling has changed significantly in the almost 60 years that I've been fishing, with new ideas, techniques, tackle etc not only increasing catch rates, but leading to far safer outcomes for the fish we target.

It's not a process that I see ending anytime soon.

Circle hooks are just one of the innovations that are proving their potential worth in a variety of fisheries, and for a number of species, and are used by a growing numer of anglers. I want to understand more fully just what benefits they might have for the fishing I do, and where their use might be inappropriate.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Intentionally fishing for large eels is one of the few coarse fishing opportunities up here in the frozen North so I have been doing some research before giving it a go.

A lot of authorities suggest that you should always use a wire trace when eel fishing, not only because of the possibility of a pike picking up your bait, but because of the teeth of the eel making short work of mono.

How does this tally with your idea and do others recommend a wire trace?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've recently had a look at the National Anguilla club site. Their reccomendation is to leave the hook behind in any deep hooking situation and cut the line as close to the eels mouth as is safely possible. Good advice IMO. Eels and disgorgers do not generally mix well. I've found in the past that, despite their tough exteriors, eels are incredibly easily damaged by probing around the throat area with such implements as disgorgers.

Anyway, I think I may have come up with a helpful way of lessening the impact of any hooks that have to be left behind, and I thought I'd pass the tip on for consideration by other eel anglers.

The simple change I've made is to create my hooklength from a loop. I.e I form a loop of around 6-8" depending on how I'm fishing. By attaching the hook onto the extended loop, in the event of a deeply hooked eel, I can simply snip one side of the loop with scissors and pull ALL of the hooklength material free of the eels mouth/throat, leaving absolutely nothing but the hook behind.

Any comments chaps?

Regards Chris

just chop their heads off and split them your hook will be back in a jiffy :thumbs:

or putting a booted foot on their dody and yanking hard will do pretty much the same but with the risk of loosing more hooks

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Any comments chaps?

Regards Chris

I don't do much eel fishing, but its something to note if I am targeting them. It seems a good way of ensuring that no line is left behind.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Im also going to try circles for eels when I get the time. Self hooking rigs may also be worth looking into a bit more as Ive noticed whilst tenching with maggots on method rigs that the bulk of any eels caught have been lip hooked.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Self hooking rigs may also be worth looking into a bit more as Ive noticed whilst tenching with maggots on method rigs that the bulk of any eels caught have been lip hooked.

Yes - look at the rig Poldark used for his PB eel

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...