Pike Fishing

Charlie789

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive recently had a been tempted to try some pike fishing but i dont know much about fishing for them this time of year. Can anyone give me a few pointers and places to fish in Cumbria?

Cheers.

Summer is a good time to fish for Pike but they will be lean and expect a lot of Jacks

http://www.anntysons.co.uk/fishing.cfm

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

Pike fishing can be daunting at first, I have seen many a new piker panic when they hook their first one and see them struggling to unhook them.

My advice would be get fishing on smaller lures to get used to catching the smaller jacks first building yourself up to the bigger lures/fish.

www.angling-uk.net

Have a look at the Windermere and District AA website for venues you can get day tickets for and prices for them

If you're looking for somewhere where you are in with a chance of a fish or two then the WDAA is probably the way to go, they have a number of smaller waters that are'nt so intimidating when compared to somewhere like Windermere itself

Aim to catch lots of small fish to get your confidence when handling bigger fish and just wait for them to come along in their own time; in the meantime just enjoy the ride

When you first start out piking its always best to go with someone who knows what they are doing. Andys links are a good start, You could always join you local branch of the PAC aswell. Personnaly a dont start piking until about October. If you are going to lure fish for them just make sure you have all the nessarsary unhooking tools ie forceps, long nose pliers and wire cutters. Dont play them to softly get them in as quick as you can, Done let them wear them selves out, Dont leave them out the water any longer than you would like to be in it. And of course a unhooking mat for the larger ones.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

When you first start out piking its always best to go with someone who knows what they are doing. Andys links are a good start, You could always join you local branch of the PAC aswell. Personnaly a dont start piking until about October. If you are going to lure fish for them just make sure you have all the nessarsary unhooking tools ie forceps, long nose pliers and wire cutters. Dont play them to softly get them in as quick as you can, Done let them wear them selves out, Dont leave them out the water any longer than you would like to be in it. And of course a unhooking mat for the larger ones.

Couldnt agree more with Waynes excellent advice the only thing i would add to that is to give the fish time plenty of time to recover especially at this time of year when oxygen levels in the water are higher which tends to make the pike fight harder than normal,pike me look like tough fish but in fact they are one of the most delicate fish and are easily damaged so be very careful with them when handling, i would really suggest as wayne says to go with a experienced piker, apart rom all that enjoy yourself. ;)