Pike Fishing

Charlie789

Actually, the dissolved oxygen levels (stuff that fish can use) is higher in cooler water than it will be this time of year.

The fish are more active and fight harder in warmer water since the higher water temps increase their metabolism so pike fight harder (using more oxygen) when available levels are lower and that, as you say, can get them into trouble unless special care is taken by anglers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the dissolved oxygen levels (stuff that fish can use) is higher in cooler water than it will be this time of year.

The fish are more active and fight harder in warmer water since the higher water temps increase their metabolism so pike fight harder (using more oxygen) when available levels are lower and that, as you say, can get them into trouble unless special care is taken by anglers.

I stand corrected i always get that fact muddled up :D as i was typing i was umming and arring to think was it lower or higher, still i think i got the point i was tryin to make across, next time ill stay clear of the science bit newt ;)

how much pike fishing have you done ?

see the signature at the bottom of this post

I havent done any purposefull pike fishing. I accidently caught one whilst spinning for trout. It was just a little 2lb-er but it was still very exiting! The rows of teeth looked daunting but i managed to get the hook out with the help of my brother. Them links were very helpfull thankyou.

if your intent on cumbria make sure you have gear suitable for the place, oh and dont forget the bait restrictions in force

i fish up there a fair bit anything you want to ask fire away

Have you been to Hawkshead (esthwaite water) before? If so, are there any tip you can give?

Thanks all.

Ah thats interesting, they dont do summer pike fishing :(

Whats a jack?

Who don't do summer pike fishin'? if you are going to try up here in our glacial lakes then start off in summer, (now, be quick) winter on the lakes is very hard work. In the winter (dec, jan, feb') months our catches drop off dramatically, to the extent that we only go out in January to get some fresh air and wave a rod around.

Jacks are small male pike, good fun on lures in summer.

Someone mentioned Esthwaite, it has the potential for really big fish, but it's not open for piking until october (until the end of march). It has a significantly different variable to the rest of the lakes, in that it is stuffed with rainbow trout and that impacts upon pike feeding patterns and on their growth and lifespan. I know some very good pike anglers who struggle on there too, me included! ;) although I did have the honour of taking the last pike of the piking season there this year, at dusk on 31st March, not one of the monsters but a 7llb 'jack'.

As someone has pointed out, be aware of the bait restrictions inforce on most of the national park waters. Don't use (get caught using!) livebait or freshwater species as deadbait.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

esthwaite?

are you clued up on boats, and do you have gear thats usefull for boat fishing?

there is very limited bank space on there and as emma points out you can only go from oct to the end of march and its not cheap its around 70 quid for the day with two of you sharing a boat and motor, the life jackets are free though :D

a good thing about the place is you can get your bait there and the staff a very helpfull, they will turn you away if you turn up with unsuitable kit though

best tip for esthwaite i can give you

learn how to lure fish effectivly baits work but give me lures on there any day even in the dodrums around january

00 professors ;)

Edited by noodle996

I assume you are right-handed, in which case I'll describe unhooking as I go about it. You'll find most Pikers carry this out whilst in a kneeling position.

Lay the fish on its left flank, head pointing towards your right hand. You may want to straddle the fish. I use my left shin to prevent the fish from flipping. I don't apply any weight on the fish. I just don't give it any room to move.

With your left hand, carefully lift the gill flap a little. Have a look under the flap to see the arrangement. You'll see 3 sets of rakers. Make sure your fingers havn't picked up any of these and slide 1 finger along the gill cover, towards the chin. When you get to the chin, you'll find your finger fits nicely into an area of soft skin with no teeth, no rakers and no obstructions.

Lift the head and you should find its mouth will stay wide open without force. You should now have the whole mouth cavity to work with unhindered. You should have a pair of 12" forceps and a pair of wire snips at hand, nothing less. The wire cutters are for fiddly hook-ups. Sometimes it is easier to break the hooks up for quick removal. Never use the snips for cutting the wire, that's a potential death sentence. As long as you have all your unhooking tools at hand, you should find the whole unhooking operation takes less than a minute.

If you are struggling, don't panic. Take the fish in the net back to the water for a good breather. Give the fish and yourself a minute to calm down before carrying out any other proceedures. Allow the fish a minute in the water for every minute you have it from the water.

Don't be scared to ask a more experienced Piker for a hand. They should gladly oblige and if asked, will show you how to cope with difficult hook-ups. Pikers love being asked for advice..it makes them feel important and necessary... ;)

Once the fish has been cleared of all oral metalwork. Lift the fish with both hands and carry it back to the water. Once in the water, use your left hand to support the head and use your right hand to hold the tail root. Don't grip the tail, just form a circle with your thumb and finger. his prevents them going anywhere. Pike sometimes try to pull away immediately even though they are exhausted. Just keep a slight hold on the fish until you are sure it has fully recovered. Make sure the gill flaps are working and the fish can hold itself upright. Once its definately ready to go, you will know. Release your hold and the fish should pull away immediately. Just keep an eye on the fish till it has gone. If its a really happy soldier you'll get a free drink when it kicks its tail.

....Andy.... B)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've reproduced the previous unhooking advice a few times but there's one thing I feel I should add.

If you ever deep-hook a pike and you aren't sure how to get the trace free or you're uncomfortable with extending the gut, PLEASE DO NOT cut the trace as close the hooks as possible. In doing so, the chances are, both trebles will simply disappear out of sight.

This is a bit of advice that has been going around as long as I can remember and it's a terrible idea IMO.

Pike are often re-caught with other anglers' traces in their throats. By leaving a good length of wire behind, you give the next captor, who may be in a better position to deal with the situation, something to work with.

I'd far rather catch a pike with a whole trace in than one that has had the trace cut.

...andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I've reproduced the previous unhooking advice a few times but there's one thing I feel I should add.

If you ever deep-hook a pike and you aren't sure how to get the trace free or you're uncomfortable with extending the gut, PLEASE DO NOT cut the trace as close the hooks as possible. In doing so, the chances are, both trebles will simply disappear out of sight.

This is a bit of advice that has been going around as long as I can remember and it's a terrible idea IMO.

Pike are often re-caught with other anglers' traces in their throats. By leaving a good length of wire behind, you give the next captor, who may be in a better position to deal with the situation, something to work with.

I'd far rather catch a pike with a whole trace in than one that has had the trace cut.

...andy...

Good point and well made Andy

I've lost count of the number of pike I've caught with a set of trebles in them (once got my own back two days later) and been glad of a bit of wire to get a hold of in order to get the embedded hooks out, usual advice is to cut close to the trebles but as Andy said it makes dehooking a bit of a bu**er if you've got nothing to work with

Fortymick

I would'nt worry about summer pike fishing on the Tees as for 95% of the time it holds enough dissolved oxygen due to where it comes from up on high on the moors and waterfalls etc (High and Low Force) and all the falls in between, the only time I don't fish for pike is when rainfall is non existant and the flow stops and the water gets a bit stagnant

it makes dehooking a bit of a bu**er if you've got nothing to work with

It's an even bigger bugger when the fish starves, loses condition or even dies because the hooks haven't been removed and nobody knows they even exist.

I've caught some skinny looking fish and often wondered if there's a reason why this fish isn't in good condition, even though it's actively trying to eat.

A pair of trebles might be the answer.

Cheers Brian, I appreciate another piker agreeing with my thoughts about cutting traces.... ;)

I don't know who came up with the idea or why it seems like the right thing to do but it's the standard advice given and I think it's a mental idea.

...andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...