Pike Fishing

Charlie789

Fortymick

I would'nt worry about summer pike fishing on the Tees as for 95% of the time it holds enough dissolved oxygen due to where it comes from up on high on the moors and waterfalls etc (High and Low Force) and all the falls in between, the only time I don't fish for pike is when rainfall is non existant and the flow stops and the water gets a bit stagnant

Cheers for that Brian i have as youve probaly guessed from another forum ive been down there a few times recently and had a few all in great condition and all returned safely still its good to know about the do in the water i gotta admit id forgot all about high force acting as a great big airetor,maybe ill meet you on the bank one day and i can pick up some tips and help from you theorys one thing but you cant beat been shown it in practice.

Cheers Mick.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive recently had a been tempted to try some pike fishing but i dont know much about fishing for them this time of year. Can anyone give me a few pointers and places to fish in Cumbria?

Cheers.

To add to the advice you have already received i would suggest that you make sure you have good bite indication,whether using a float or electronic alarms,make sure everything is set up correctly so you immediately know when you get a take and don't be tempted to leave it too long before striking(i always strike immediately)Also if you are just starting out and you intend to fish in the summer don't fish with more rods than you can handle,i would suggest no more than 2 to start with,,although it doesn't often happen,having more than one run at the same time isn't a nice place to be,especially if you are fishing alone.

These suggestions should decrease your chances of deep hooking a pike,prevention is better than cure.As for cumbrian waters,try Bigland tarn which has a good head of jacks and a few doubles.Some of the larger lakes can be soul destroying and alot of the best marks require a long walk.Coniston water offers free fishing and holds a few pike with a few biggies,and, which has already been suggested,WADAA waters,which have some good pike fishing.Good luck..

Good advice Andy and i am with you all the way. I would rather catch a fish with someone else's rig hanging out its mouth than blindly catch a fish that some noddy has trimmed up a trace to make him feel better. At leaste it can be worked on.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Thankyou everybody! All your advice has made me feel alot more confident about pike fishing (mainly because i know what to do now!) Im gonna get my self kitted up with all the necessary items and try and get as much fishing in before i go to university. Ill more likely be back with more questions shortly and ill let you know how things go. Cheers.

Thankyou everybody! All your advice has made me feel alot more confident about pike fishing (mainly because i know what to do now!) Im gonna get my self kitted up with all the necessary items and try and get as much fishing in before i go to university. Ill more likely be back with more questions shortly and ill let you know how things go. Cheers.

the most important thing is handling before tackle, when you get a big fish on the end of your line dont panic when you see its nashers dont get intimidated by it as its not as feirce as its looks may lead you to believe just use the unhooking techniques described in the pacgb links i gave you and most definetly the advice from andy macfarlane (he taught me how to fish for pike).

get some wellys or waders so you can go in to the water to meet it and chin it (no dont punch it)

your fingers will fit nicely in the back of its mouth like they belong there. raker rash is also a common thing when unhooking them dont get discouraged by this its not painfull at all, honestly.

hope your tackle is up to the task in hand ? if not there is a link in my signature that leads to rod line & wire trace requirements. i like the whychwood power pike and power pro rods, they are quite affordable aswel.

if you opt to make your own traces (recommended) ive been using 30 or 40lb fox carboflex with fox carbo flex crimps and fox carboflex trebles with ron thomspon 60lb cross locks and swivels all attached to 50lb power pro braid

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

There is a book which I found very usefull. Its the Fox guide to modern pike fishing. Yes its a continual advert forFox tackle(what would you expect) BUT it does give some super advice for rhe novice. Its £12 but its worth it.

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

I've reproduced the previous unhooking advice a few times but there's one thing I feel I should add.

If you ever deep-hook a pike and you aren't sure how to get the trace free or you're uncomfortable with extending the gut, PLEASE DO NOT cut the trace as close the hooks as possible. In doing so, the chances are, both trebles will simply disappear out of sight.

This is a bit of advice that has been going around as long as I can remember and it's a terrible idea IMO.

Pike are often re-caught with other anglers' traces in their throats. By leaving a good length of wire behind, you give the next captor, who may be in a better position to deal with the situation, something to work with.

I'd far rather catch a pike with a whole trace in than one that has had the trace cut.

...andy...

Totally agree mate where ever did it come from in the first place!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nice one Rob its a brilliant idea for a book like that to do the rounds! Theres a lot of good "starter" books out there that soon outlive their use to an individual starting out but passing them on is great stuff.Hope Charlie does the same once hes got all he can from it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!