My Tench Experiment

mike1234

a few years back i got one of them ornamental golden tench for my koi pond which is bright yellow and stands out like a sore thumb.

The past few weeks i have been dumping in a hand full of feed near it and monitoring what food it prefers, hopefully to use as hook baits for its big green cousins in my local lake

it seems to go for cubes of crab sticks which i mentioned using as bait in another thread, so hopefully if i can get a day off next week i will put some of my findings into practice

a few years back i got one of them ornamental golden tench for my koi pond which is bright yellow and stands out like a sore thumb.

The past few weeks i have been dumping in a hand full of feed near it and monitoring what food it prefers, hopefully to use as hook baits for its big green cousins in my local lake

it seems to go for cubes of crab sticks which i mentioned using as bait in another thread, so hopefully if i can get a day off next week i will put some of my findings into practice

Nice one let us know how you get on.

What other results have you had? Do they really go nuts for corn or do they prefer maggots or worm given the choice? Or do they just hoover everything up. I'd be interested to hear your findings Mike.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

it seems to love both corn and maggot but its never been fished for and i think my girlfriend would have something to say if i started fishing in the garden pond to change its mind,

i have been more trying feeding it stuff that i have heard rumours of people catching on to see if it will actually take such things as crab sticks, pasta, mealworms, prawns etc, and watching which ones it seems to feed on or which ones it will have a few mouthfulls of and then move on,

i usually put loads of floating pellets down one end to keep the koi on the surface as the tench seems to be more or less always in the same place near the lilys, but i think they are getting wise to it now

it seems to love both corn and maggot but its never been fished for and i think my girlfriend would have something to say if i started fishing in the garden pond to change its mind,

i have been more trying feeding it stuff that i have heard rumours of people catching on to see if it will actually take such things as crab sticks, pasta, mealworms, prawns etc, and watching which ones it seems to feed on or which ones it will have a few mouthfulls of and then move on,

i usually put loads of floating pellets down one end to keep the koi on the surface as the tench seems to be more or less always in the same place near the lilys, but i think they are getting wise to it now

interesting stuff mate thanks

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Try shrimps, cheaper than crab sticks.

I saw a chap fishing for carp recentley with giant king prawns, seems some people have more money than sence!"!! :mellow:

But he did catch :)

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"