OK, So I have the HTML files.......

Chris Goddard

HOW on this gods earth do I get the programme to read the text? And then put together the pages? Using Serif Page Plus x2 but supposing all of these WYSIWYG programmes work the same? Also got Front page too if that is easier?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Whatever complications these programmes throw up, do not forget that at the end of the day what is read by the web browser is a simple page of text containing bits to display and bits enclosed in brackets telling it how to display them! Sounds as if the things that are supposed to make it easier are making it hard.

Could you give a little more info as to you what you are trying to do please.

Have you built a site on your own server or are you using an hosted server?

www.angling-uk.net

Right guys, I bought a SITE and it has come in HTML IE a text file in HTML?! HOW do I get that to resemble the actual site I have seen?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hi Steve, right I am interested in setting up a site in which I set up the site and it is hosted by me but is full of "affilites" links? IE Amazon etc? Now the site is already there and runs. It is however written to operate in the USA and I want to run it in Europe. I ahve the complete HTML for the site in a text file sent to me by the guy who wrote it. He will also set up and host it for free for me. All I do is pay for the domain name (I have this) and then add all the affiliates to the site so I can sit back and earn LOADSA dosh just like Elton does????

BUT I need to know how to get the HTML reading as a site! Do I simply upload this to my own space and then view it? Onec I know what does what by looking at the HTML I am hopeful I can then add and remove the appropriate flags (Branded USA at present) etc., etc.

So to close I HAVE the site per-se in a TEXT file form and need to get it to show as an actual site?

Chris Goddard

OK, got you.

Well, first thing we need to work out is what you have actually got - we need to see whether your file is the content itself or a script that generates the content. If it's the former, it will be easy for you to view it, if the latter you will need the correct execution environment that the script is written to run in.

Only having one file seems a bit odd to me.

Let's see if we can figure it out - first thing, what is the file extension? Can you open it in notepad and paste the first few lines of it up here?

Like this Steve?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>

<!-- <hs:metatags> -->

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

<meta name="generator" content="Homestead SiteBuilder">

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false">

<!-- </hs:metatags> -->

<!-- <hs:title> -->

<title>Smash and Grab Lures.com!</title>

It came in a .txt email?

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard