Films etc to MP4 or equivalent for PC ?

RobStubbs

I have an MP3 / MP4 player (not an Ipod) but I also have a laptop that I carry around with me. My question is, is there anyway I can convert DVD's etc to a format that I can watch them ? I would like to compress onto a memory stick or equivalent if that's possible but I can't just play dvd's on the laptop before anyone suggests that.

Thanks in advance for any help (off to google for ideas now)

Rob.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look, although it isn't a cheap product, and the site looks a little unprofessional.

Rob.

I can pop it on a disc for you if you get stuck Rob.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I use a piece of free software called pspvideo9 to convert films to watch on the PSP. I think that is mp4 format, so it might be worth trying. It allows you to select loads of aspect ratios, sound quality etc so you can really compress them down if you want.

You don't say why you can't play DVDs on your laptop. If your laptop has a DVD drive then VLC will play just about anything you throw at it. Failing that why not convert your DVDs to DivX? I use IMToo to do this, I also use Easy Video to iPod MP4 convertor.

You don't say why you can't play DVDs on your laptop. If your laptop has a DVD drive then VLC will play just about anything you throw at it. Failing that why not convert your DVDs to DivX? I use IMToo to do this, I also use Easy Video to iPod MP4 convertor.

Ian,

My travelling 'laptop' is a Asus Eee PC with no DVD drive. I also want to minise the amount of stuff I carry, so if I can compress a number of DVD's onto a large memory then I don't need a pile of DVD's (and in my case as well, a portable DVD drive). I only want something that I can watch if I fancy it so a simple solution is fine and I'm not worried about absolute picture quality.

Cheers,

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Rob,

The best way to carry lots of DVDs is to convert them from DVD (4.7 GB) to Divx (1.0 GB).

I like IMTOO video convertor to do this ($45)

The quality is pretty good.

The best media player (IMHO) to watch them on is VLC (free).

The best way to carry them is on a USB hard drive, the small ones without the power supply. I have a 120GB one.

I am not sure if USB is fast enough to watch movies through, I will need to do an experiment when I have more time.

Another way is to buy an iPod classic (I have a 160GB one) stuff loads of DVDs on it (I use EASY Video to iPod Convertor) and play them through your USB, once again, I'm not sure if USB is fast enough but it's too late to experiment now, I need to get some sleep.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
I am not sure if USB is fast enough to watch movies through, I will need to do an experiment when I have more time.
USB 2.0 is, I do it all the time. I capture DV direct to USB 2.0 too, no sweat.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote