individual fish you would like to catch

mike1234

i was talking to a friend the other day about the fish we have seen several times cruising round under the surface or have heard or seen pictures of from other local anglers.

there is a golden orfe/ide in one of the ponds i fish that often feeds with a should of rudd just under the surface that i have tried to catch for 3 years now with no luck and have pulled baits away from double sized carp to try and catch it.

also in another lake there is a large common carp with marking on its scales (that makes it recognisable) that likes to torment anglers by swimming just under the surface, so close to the bank that i have seen people try to net it, but it seems to ignore baits,

and in another lake there have been sightings of a sturgeon put in there by one of the anglers some years back now supposedly over 5ft in length

plus loads of other tales i have heard of fish that probably dont exist or are exaggerated

i am sure everyone has single fish in a certain water they always hope to hook?

If I clap eyes on a good fish while I'm fishing, I'll try to target it but the idea of persuing a single fish over several sessions or worse still persuing a fish with a name is totally alien to me.

So no, I don't have a single fish in a certain water I always hope to hook.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I understand people that become obsessed on a certain fish. If you fish the same waters all the time and know what fish are present, You do tend to become blinkered, And forget what angling is all about. And to me it is enjoying yourself. I had the carp bug for a long time when i was younger and spent a lot of time in pursuit of certain fish, I had a fair bit of success over the years but it does kinda totally blinker you and you seem to neglect the more important things like work and family. I can recall many a time back in the eighties bunking off work because i thought the weather was right for a certain water, Or a particular carp i had been watching for a few months.

I like what Ken said, And i am the same now. If i am down the river and i see a nice fish eg a big chub or barbel i will do my best to catch it. If i don't then it doesn't matter. Ive seen it and it will be there another day. at least i know the stretch i am fishing holds some good fish.

A lot of the mystery has gone from fishing these day, Not so much for the river angler or piker. But those that fish club waters and the like. Everyone knows whats in most of them carp to a certain size and even some waters i know the bigger tench have names. Which to me is a bit sad.

To sum it all up for me, If i see it i will do my damndest to catch it. But i wont loose no sleep, Daydream, bunk off work, Or miss out on a night out with a lady. lol ;)

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

there is a golden orfe/ide in one of the ponds i fish that often feeds with a should of rudd just under the surface that i have tried to catch for 3 years now with no luck and have pulled baits away from double sized carp to try and catch it.

This tale can not end happily, you will grow older as the fish grows bigger. Many winters will pass and the pursuit of this fish will only lead to despair and madness.

Give it up, Captain Ahab! Only sorry awaits in hunting the Golden Orfe.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

You're fishing the wrong lake. :D

There's a Golden Orfe of about 4lb in one lake I fish has seen the banks more times than Jesse James, I do try and pull baits away from it but not always successfully.

You're fishing the wrong lake. :D

There's a Golden Orfe of about 4lb in one lake I fish has seen the banks more times than Jesse James, I do try and pull baits away from it but not always successfully.

the one i have targeted is in a small pool thats not over fished its owned by a local factory who have a fishing club, but isnt one of there popular waters and isnt too accessible, so i think most people have been put off,

i dont think its hard to catch because of over fishing but for the opposite reason that its used to little human presence plus the lake is rather over grown and can be only be fished properly from a few areas,

every time i go there and i see it up in the water i cant help but want to throw a bait near it

i dont fish anywhere that has fish with pet names or waste sessions just trying to catch 1 particular fish i have just seen them and know they are there and want to catch them.

which i think it adds to the magic every bite could be the fish your after but usually isnt but doesnt make catching any other fish less enjoyable

Edited by mike1234

If I clap eyes on a good fish while I'm fishing, I'll try to target it but the idea of persuing a single fish over several sessions or worse still persuing a fish with a name is totally alien to me.

So no, I don't have a single fish in a certain water I always hope to hook.

you probably clap eyes on the same big fish a few sessions and dont realize its the same one and more than likely some numpty as given it a name

I know what you're getting at! When I was younger several anglers told tales of a giant one-eyed trout (phnaar, phnaar) in the Teme. This was all taken with a pinch of salt until that fateful day...... I hooked the thing just in front of me on a little Mepps, fishing for chub/perch/trout etc. The Brownie was huge and pushing double figures with a large scar on the left side of the head and an empty eye socket. I stared in disbelief for a split second....too long, it took off and that was that, one straightened hook on the treble and a shocked me!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

[you probably clap eyes on the same big fish a few sessions and dont realize its the same one and more than likely some numpty as given it a name /quote]

I doubt it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes there have been many targets Ive wanted to achieve but only one actual individual fish that Ive always wanted to catch.

That was a near 200lb Abino catfish that was pure yellow and white! (some Albinos are yellow and red or yellow and black etc) I first saw it when a foriegn mate of mine caught it back in the early 90's.Im sure any of you that have been to the Ebro and toured the bars in Mequinenza will have seen it to.Despite being one of the biggest (if not the biggest) at that time, it wasnt the size that inspired me just the way it looked,like a giant banana!

As fate had it though it never came my way and in fact despite the many trips to the river I never caught a single Albino.Even with the countless rod hours (if you take all my customers in to account) I only ever saw three.Others seemed to catch them all the time!

I will try and dig out a pic to show you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!