individual fish you would like to catch

mike1234

I don't think there is anything specific for me nowadays but when I was a nipper I spent weeks trying to catch a huge trout that used hang out in the same spot every day in the local river, I tried worms, spinners, maggots... he was never interested... finally one day I caught the blighter using a couple of woodlice....

www.angling-uk.net

This tale can not end happily, you will grow older as the fish grows bigger. Many winters will pass and the pursuit of this fish will only lead to despair and madness.

Give it up, Captain Ahab! Only sorry awaits in hunting the Golden Orfe.

Often very true.

In my teens we used to spend a week every year camping by the banks of the R Swale.

The bailiff/watcher for the syndicate water upstream from our length was obsessed with a large pike he'd seen.

Over the next 3-4 yrs he took us to see the 'monster' a few times, and told us of his attempts to catch her. He had tempted her three times, but lost her twice through hook pulls, and once even watched her take a bait, hold it in her mouth for a few seconds, and then drop it and move on.

On the fourth year a month or two after our visit, I read of a large pike caught by a match angler. It had come from our association water, and I wondered if it could be the same fish.

The next time I saw the guy he told me (through the welling tears) that it was indeed 'his fish'.

It seems the match angler had been doing nothing and decided to quit the match and try somewhere else.

On his way upstream he had seen the pike in the shallows and got his leger rod, put on a single with a trace, and filled it with maggots. Pinched a swan shot on, and cast out his 2" maggot 'lure'. He brought it across the front of the fish, and the fish took it.

The fish didn't put up much of a fight, and when landed it was seen as an old 'knackered' fish. It weighed around 27lb.

I heard the guy took it home to be stuffed and mounted.

My friend had spent around 5 years chasing this fish, and it did literally end in tears. So Beware.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

LOL...that is an amazing fish!! I'll have to show that one to my Dad.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

No, I have never hunted an individual fish. We sometimes go spotting sea trout during the day and then fish at night where they have been spotted.

90% of my fishing these days is on out lakes, which are for the most part big grey expanses of water with few fish, other than fry and minnows in the shallows even seen. Sometimes in the shallow bays decent fish are spotted, but no individuals noticable for several sightings. I don't want to catch fish with names, I fondly imagine, and am probably right in believing that when I come into contacr with a fish that I am the first human to do so, and that when my rod wrenches around, that I have made contact with something with a direct link to the ice age and not a hatchery.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"