Ostrich Recipes.

Norrie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Norrie, we have eaten ostrich in South Africa on several occasions. It is delicious.

We have also eaten Emu in Australia - likewise, it is delicious.

As a previous poster said, any recipe for fillet steak can be used for ostrich.

Just thumbed through our S African log. We didn't cook all these recipes ourselves, but had some of them at various restaurants.

Ostrich steaks in pepper sauce with 2 veg and chips ("Timeless Way" in Kalk Bay)

Ostrich steak with stir-fry veg and chips ("Die Oude Fabrikue" in Knyssna)

Ostrich steak with side salad and foccacio bread ("Guido's on the beach" in Port Elizabeth)

We also braaid (that's Afrikaans for barbecued)some ostrich steaks over charcoal in a self-catering room at a farm (I caught a 4lb rainbow in the farm dam - we traded the fish with the farmers wife for the loan of the equipment to cook this meal)

We also had grilled ostrich a time or two in other self-catering places

If you start an ostrich farm Norrie, we are definitely customers

PS Ostrich tastes better than that clay pigeon recipe you gave me some months back :D

[ 12. July 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond - I lived in RSA for 35 years - I have eaten Ostrich on many occasions (yum-yum)

Norrie - If you can get it I think both Vagabond and I would buy it - There's a business opportunity!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Well Chaps,Thanks for the help,the Ostrich was marinaded in Soy Sauce,with Garlic,Honey,Shallots,olive oil,salt and pepper,for three hours, then pan fried to medium rare,had it along with Saute Potatoes,and Mixed Veg....Superb. I'm going to get more at the next farmers market...its a tad expensive but much nicer than Clay Pigeon..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

always a strange title "Farmers " market ,most are shops selling their produce at inflated prices and how many farmers have their stock killed and cut up on the farm :confused:

The ones that sell veg arnt farmers their market gardeners or small holders :confused:

A local "farmers" market has a french produce seller who`s stock resides in a trailer on a local campsite ,having watched the contents going back and forth rather than "home grown" its strictly catering tins opened and sold for prices far exceeding their worth.

"farmers" markets or rip off merchants most of the produce is far cheaper in Tesco and at least in tesco the produce can be tracked to source who knows where "farmers" market stuff really comes from,most of the stock sits in temperatures above what is legal and who is to say that unsold stock isnt re chilled or even refrozen till the next time i cannot see the seller chucking away unsold stock at the end of a day ,if you want really fresh produce buy frozen

[ 12. July 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you must go to different farmers markets to me, the two i attend regularly have 4 or 5 farms selling their own meat, maybe not slaughtered by themselves but certainly butchered at their farm.

Norrie:

Ostrich was marinaded in Soy Sauce,with Garlic,Honey,Shallots,olive oil,salt and pepper,for three hours, then pan fried to medium rare,had it along with Saute Potatoes,and Mixed Veg....Superb.

Sounds good - you really didn't need our advice at all :) Just trying to make us clay pigeon noshers jealous :mad: :D

BTW Have found a better way to eat clays - as they are, with a chilli dip - like big black crisps :D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Norrie:

the Ostrich was marinaded in Soy Sauce,with Garlic,Honey,Shallots,olive oil,salt and pepper,for three hours, then pan fried to medium rare,had it along with Saute Potatoes,and Mixed Veg....Superb.

Hmmmm is this recipe going top be added to the Catchalot menu?? :D:D

BTW there is a farm just outside Tyndrum that sells wild Boar :):)

[ 13. July 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

quote:

you must go to different farmers markets to me, the two i attend regularly have 4 or 5 farms selling their own meat, maybe not slaughtered by themselves but certainly butchered at their farm.

how do you know :confused: can you watch

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson