Ostrich Recipes.

Norrie

Hiya, My mate has a farm with various cattle and different breeds of sheep, he regularly sends a few to the slaughter house and gets the carcases back, then he employs a butcher to do the butchering etc,he then packs it all and takes it to the Farmers market.Totally legal, as he has a proper butcher shop setup, he is a good bit more expensive than your local butcher, but it is good stuff, and well looked after when it is alive.Happy cows etc. :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chesters1:

quote:

you must go to different farmers markets to me, the two i attend regularly have 4 or 5 farms selling their own meat, maybe not slaughtered by themselves but certainly butchered at their farm.

how do you know :confused: can you watch

yes, if i want to. i can tell then which bit of whch animal i want. thats the good think about proper farm shops or butchers, 100% traceability

butchers just buy meat from a wholesaler and if a farmer sends his animal to a slaughterhouse how does he know whos bit of meat he gets in return ,with 25% of animals NOT apearing on the register no one knows whats what.

there are very few mobile slaughtermen left who visit the farm and do the deed, most are knackermen who tote off the body to who knows where .prices should be cheaper NOT more expensive as most of the middle men are cut out.

putting the word "farmer" is not a garauntee of quality or good husbandry just an excuse to charge inflated prices for products.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, My mate takes his own animals to the slaughter house himself, and gets his own animals back, minus the skin as they generally keep that in part payment, They do get their own animals back, we know this cos they phoned him one day to tell him that a cow he had brought in was over 30months old (Due to BSC too old to sell on)and that he could have it slaughtered ,but couldnt sell it on...it was slaughtered and he/we ate it....but it wasnt sold on. As for the "farmer" bit, what would you call a bloke who when his sheep are lambing or his cows are calving,sits up all night with them, (I know,I've done it with him)if thats not a caring farmer, then what is...He is one of the most respected farmers in our area ,because of his respect for his animals...he has sacked men who have mistreated them...I know(again) I was there. So, If he charges a wee bit more for his produce ,good on him...I know for instance,that I wouldnt want supermarket meat that has hung for a couple of days or maybe even hours when I can get meat that has hung for a couple of weeks.Far superior product, but thats what you pay for.... :D:D

BTW. If you know there are 25% of meat not appearing on the register you should inform someone about it.like the Ministry Vet on the site of all slaughterhouses..cos if you dont, you are being a wee bit complacent, I dont think you are however...

Cheers.

Norrie

[ 13. July 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

organic farms have to be able to trace every part of an animal they send for slaughter, then all the animals are returned to the farm to be butchered (at least at the farms i buy meat from) you assume that every meat producer acts in the same way, thank god they dont.