summer yak clothing

markco

hi as a newbie to yak fishing,yak arrives in 10 days now :D can i ask what u fellas wear mainly in the summer ,was thinking of going for a long jhon wet suit with a flease top witch i can remove if it gets to hot not much chance of thet happening i know, and over that some sort of light wind breaker pants and top and on me feet a pair of wet boots 5 ml crewsavers i think and a hat what u think too much too little?am i gonna roast on hot days or freez in our more usuall summer days bear in mind im in cumbria witch hasent had a summer for 4 years ;) any advice appreacted ps great forum this cheers mark.

hi as a newbie to yak fishing,yak arrives in 10 days now :D can i ask what u fellas wear mainly in the summer.

north devon day time i'm mostely in my birthday suit catching some rays, shorts and a rash top for the beach!

i think a few wear full dry suits but i do it on the chep and hope i don't have to spend tooo much time in the water!

Everything that I have read so far has said to dress for immersion. As if you would be spending all of your time in the water. You can have an air temperature of 30C and still have a water temperature of 6C. Gasp reflex with such a huge difference in temp. There are lighter dry tops available. Don't skimp on safety.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

sorry jeff was your last point addressed to me or the naked guy ?if to me is a wetsuit not dressing for the water temp ?or is it the idea of fleses and cheap cagole that your refering to ,relise the fleses would have to be quick wicking garments cheeres mark.

sorry jeff was your last point addressed to me or the naked guy ?if to me is a wetsuit not dressing for the water temp ?or is it the idea of fleses and cheap cagole that your refering to ,relise the fleses would have to be quick wicking garments cheeres mark.

The first year I fished from a kayak I wore a wet suit(Farmer john) in the summer.I wouldnt recomend wearing a fleace on top of it though.Just wear a T shirt and then some kind of wind/waterproof smock on top.But even on hot days the wind can pick up and you feel cold.

I now wear a Dry suit even in the warmer months....If its warm I just wear shorts and a light top underneath.In the cooler months I have about 4 to 5 layers on.The bottom layer for wicking away moisture.Then a polo neck top,Fleace, and a dry suit all in one under fleace

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Deepest winter on the sea i'll be in drysuit. As it gets warmer I go to dry cag and dry pants (cag not always used). Then wetsuit trousers and a shirt (maybe a fleece when I stop) and PFD (insulating too btw). Then it's shorts, shirt and PFD. Can't really say I fancy being naked though no matter how warm it is.

As the others have already mentioned you should dress for immersion, and in the warmer months I see no reason not to go for a wetsuit. As to wearing a drysuit in summer I would sweat like a pig in mine (don't think it's breathable) and as I'd only have say shorts and t-shirt underneath it would provide no insulation at all were I to end up in the water. It'd keep me dry but it wouldn't keep me warm.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Must have been the naked guy though you did post the question. :) I can't speak for Cannonfodder but circumstances kind of dictate what you wear. I know that even if I am in the middle of the river and find myself swimming, the longest time spent in the water will be less than 5 minutes either direction. This would be the same as if I had no intention of going more than a hundred meters from shore off Robin Hoods Bay during slack tide. A wetsuit keeps a layer of water between the suit and your skin. This is what insulates you. I don' t see a problem either way. I just don't like to be wet and cold (and that seems to be the norm for where I live) so I use a light dry top, semi dry cag. I probably picked up the wrong sport...

There are alot of books out there and many more posts if you care to search them. Don't limit yourself to SOT kayaks. Most of the information out there for SINKs will be applicable too. Sea Kayaker Magazine has loads of information too.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I can't speak for Cannonfodder but circumstances kind of dictate what you wear.

completely agree jeff, atm i'm a bit of a fair weather kayaker, i use shorts when its hot and my flotation suit when its cold, not ideal, especially if you end up getting wet, but i haven't yet picked up a dry suit though its on my, to purchase list.

in the summer i'd have thought a wet suit would be perfect though.

i use a surfboard leash so i don't end up drifting away from my kayak so time in the sea is minimal, and i also wear my pfd other than when anchored up in good conditions, but i do carry a sleeping bag, large towel and a flask of tea in the hull as i know from years of shore and boat fishing, just how quick hypothermia can set in, but in the summer months hyperthermia is also an issue, especially if you are overdressed. The amount of city folk, (sry about the stereotype, me living in devon an all) i have seen taken by ambulance after a day in the sun is shocking, ppl just don't realise how dangerous it is and when you are at sea with the suns reflection and paddling can all raise your temperature very quickly.

Edited by cannonfodder

completely agree jeff, atm i'm a bit of a fair weather kayaker, i use shorts when its hot and my flotation suit when its cold, not ideal, especially if you end up getting wet, but i haven't yet picked up a dry suit though its on my, to purchase list.

in the summer i'd have thought a wet suit would be perfect though.

i use a surfboard leash so i don't end up drifting away from my kayak so time in the sea is minimal, and i also wear my pfd other than when anchored up in good conditions, but i do carry a sleeping bag, large towel and a flask of tea in the hull as i know from years of shore and boat fishing, just how quick hypothermia can set in, but in the summer months hyperthermia is also an issue, especially if you are overdressed. The amount of city folk, (sry about the stereotype, me living in devon an all) i have seen taken by ambulance after a day in the sun is shocking, ppl just don't realise how dangerous it is and when you are at sea with the suns reflection and paddling can all raise your temperature very quickly.

thanks for the addvice guy ,mark.