John Baker big chub mix

Russell Fitzpatrick

hi all

got some JB mix,just a quick question, to make a small ish batch,say enough for a little pre-baiting and some for hookbiats,how many eggs do you use?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Im no expert when it comes to boilie mixes but I think most mixes require six eggs so just devide all the other ingredients by six to make a smaller amount using only 1 egg.

Effort equals reward!!

Boilies for chub? :confused:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

cheers ant thats baisicly what i thought.

yes elton,boilies/paste for chub,i am fishing for some very big chub and boilies/paste are one of the baits they like.to catch them you have to present them with a bait they rae going to at least pick up and test!

severnwolf my PB was on a boilie!

AKA RATTY

Severn Wolf:

Streuth, they`ll be using them for Barbel next.....

Nah, barbel will never make it to stillwaters

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've used JB Big Chub for a few years now. In short, it's brilliant.

As far as mixing it up goes. I always do a six egg mix. that usually gives me enough for a good pre-bait if I feel the need and sometimes enough for a days fishing as well.

It's hard to over prebait with paste, if you are doing it over a few days without fishing. I drop a few walnut sized balls into likely looking spots and let the fish find it. If it's a one day affair, I throw a few hazelnut sized lumps into the spots, then fish a walnut/golf ball size on the hook.

Any left over at the end of the day, can be thrown in to pre-bait for the next time, or taken home and hand rolled into boilies. I'm not too worried about the nutritional value of the boilies, as I only ever wrap paste around them for the hook bait. When prebaiting, I just use the paste.

Going back to pre-baiting. I've actually not bothered too often with this paste, as I've found it pretty much instant for Chub and Barbel.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

hi dunk,

it does come higly recomended mate!

good to hear someone else has had results on it.

cheers for the info on mixing,but most of the pastes i have seen in the mags etc like trigga,two eggs are used,i am new to this paste/boilie game,i unashamedly admit to using shelf-lifes for ages.so six eegs sounds like a lot to me!

how much of a 1kg bag will be used if i use six eggs?or how many batches will it make?

with the pre-baiting,thats pretty much how i work it,drop in bait up, come back..

dunk your info/knowledge is greatly appreciated mate!

[ 12. February 2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

Make up the wet ingredients first. 6 eggs, 1-2 ml Chub Attack flavour per egg (I use 1 per egg)Liquid Anchovy Extract 2 1/2 ml per egg (I use 15 ml to a mix), then add the dry and mix to a SOFT paste. Leave for about 3 hours, to let the dry ingredients absorb the liquid, in which time it'll get a bit stiffer. Then, if required, add some more dry mix until you have a firm paste.

You'll get a six egg mix, plus a bit left over (maybe 1/4 of the bag) from a 1 kilo bag. What you don't use, can be kept if the bag is tightly closed.

As far as presentation goes, I use either a cork ball or boilie, with paste wrapped around, on a short hair*. I wrap the hook in the paste, but always leave the hook point exposed. I dont like hair rigging with the entire hook hanging free, as chub usually pick up a large bait with their lips and hold it at the front of their mouth. I want the hook inside the mouth, not hanging outside the lips.

I also use "Hair riggers", which are little springs which you squish the bait into on the hair. They work well, but if there are a lot of minnows around, they can pick it clean quite quickly.

I've recently perfected another method of presentation which is fun. When trotting a float in a chub swim, I put a flat "flake" of the paste, about 2cm wide on a No10 hook. It flicks and turns in a current, almost flashing at the fish. I've seen them charge across and take it. It's great.

This paste, although not cheap, advanced my large chub catch rates overnight.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

nice one fella,

i am using it neat so to speak,see my mate picked it up for me,he didnt get me the chub attack(wish i had asked him know)

was going chubbing tomorrow but its a little windy at the mo!24mph?not exactly quivertip weather!

i dont hair rig for chub,i have done and it has worked but i would rather go staright on the hook on maybe them "paste coils" i do hear they work well,

i know all about greedy chevin and his amazing lips!pull,pull,pull strike...nothing there!

the trotting technique is a good'un,

chub god terry lampard uses it a lot no feed,just a couple of trots in a likely swim,flake on the hook as you say.

cheers again dunk.

let me know if its pointless using it with out the chub attack.

[ 12. February 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY