John Baker big chub mix

Russell Fitzpatrick

Of course it's good without the Chub Attack etc. At the end of the day, any flavouring is just another string to the bow.

I'd imagine a lot of other flavours would work if you want to experiment. You'll have plenty in the pantry. Bisto, Marmite, Custard Powder, Cumin Parmesan Cheese etc.

The only reason I use the chub attack, is that John Baker said that was the best flavour he used, with that particular mix. The only rule I would always stand by, is that too little flavour, will possibly slow down the attraction of the mix. Too much will kill it stone dead!!!

Always always always err on the too little side.

Give it a go and see how you do. Part of the fun is experimenting.

As far as bites go, if I miss one or two with paste, it's not usually a problem, as the fish often don't realise you've pulled the hook out of their mouths, as it leaves the paste quite easily. Sometimes it's a case of "let them hang themselves!" and pull the rod tip right round.

Don't forget though, when fishing at dusk, some quite staggeringly convincing bites on the 'tip, can be attributed to Bats flying into your line. If you keep getting very fast single knocks, with no successful strikes, try lowering your rod tip, until it's almost in the water. Sometimes that's tricky, but it really helps when the Bats are having a good feed.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

cheers dunk,

i was thinking theres gottoa be something in the cupboard i could use :D

thanks for the tips on what to use i admit i was clueless on that one.

with regards to the bites,i'll be using the "confidence" style rig,so yeah its proabably best to let them hook themselves.

will be using it on the itchen fish in i think,as i say i was going tommrrow but conditions are on for pike,low pressure, good wind= some good fish.so i'll be on the pike i think.

you seriouss on the bats!?

[ 12. February 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

VERY serious on the bats. It's explained a lot me in the recent past. I know I've got good rigs which during the day, will help me hook a lot of fish. But after dusk, although the bites increased, the hook-up ratio falls. It was only after a bat hit the line about two feet off the tip and I saw it, that I put 2 + 2 together.

As far as confidence rigs go, I don't believe in them much. My confidence comes from a good bait, put in the right place. I only use light weight, just enough to sink the bait really. The fish usually pull the tip round, before they know they are hooked.

If you fish for Chub bolt rig style, they will often pick up the heavy weight, and bolt straight for safety (snags). I prefer only enough weight to counteract the pull of the current against the line, and to stop the bait falling down slopes etc. But ultimately, it's up to you and the circumstances.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

ok,i have seen them at dusk flying about i actually enjoy watching them "dance".

i agree with you to a point dunk,confidence rigs on the semi-bolt rig pricipal do work.but it is just as important to put the bait in the right place with the minium of disturbance.plus i do enjoy them pulling the tip round and me hooking thme ie i dont always use confidence rigs or bolt rigs(wich i actually dont use i prefer the lead to be able to partly run at least ie backstops etc).

the chub i have caught on bolt rigs have been while after barbel using in-lines.yes they did bolt off!

cheers again fella

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!