Fishing for perch with a worm

tiddlertamer

I agree, I think that video shows the benefits of an early strike.

On hook sizes, I almost always use a size 6 for lobworms. If you're used to 12s and 14s it may look like a bit of an anchor, but it's the right size for the bait.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Whether it's best to wait before striking can vary from water to water, and day to day. The size of the perch can make a big difference too.

However in general I always strike the first bite quickly to avoid deep hooking, that for perch can be fatal. If you miss bites, slightly delay the strike next time and/or move the bottom shot/ledger weight away from the hook. Conversely do the opposite if the perch are gulping the worm down.

The types of worm I generally use are lobworms and dendras. Some days the perch prefer the big mouthful of a lobworm, the next they prefer the more wriggly dendras. Additionally I sometimes use just part of a lobworm, or more than 1 dendra.

As for hook size I too favour a 6 for lobworms. For dendras you can you use a much smaller hook say a 12, and for redworms smaller still, perhaps a 16. it all depends on the size of the bait. However small hooks and lobworms often mean missed bites, although a wide gape hook can help here. Don't be worried about this being large, it's not in relation to the size of the bait and that's what's important.

I don't use any special floats for perch. Rather I choose whatever suits the water I'm fishing and the conditions. This means that on stillwaters I'm almost invariably fishing a waggler; on running water it'll either be a wagger or a float attached top and bottom depending on the swim and how far out I'm fishing.

II rarely find a use on my waters for the traditional perch bobber as this creates too much resistance, and resistance is one thing that big perch won't tolerate, even if small perch will.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have never caught a large Perch, and by large I mean over 3 inches! I am very keen to catch one so I am really absorbing as much info as I can on this post.

I am confused about what is the best way to put a work on the hook. On one of John Wilsons video's I watched he threaded the point of the works head into the hook and pushed it up the shank before bringing the point out of the side of its body.

Is this the best method or should a worm be folded in half on the hook to make an easier gulp for the fish?

I have never caught a large Perch, and by large I mean over 3 inches! I am very keen to catch one so I am really absorbing as much info as I can on this post.

I am confused about what is the best way to put a work on the hook. On one of John Wilsons video's I watched he threaded the point of the works head into the hook and pushed it up the shank before bringing the point out of the side of its body.

Is this the best method or should a worm be folded in half on the hook to make an easier gulp for the fish?

A big perch is the most impressive fish of all! And there are a lot of them about at the moment, which is great. Anglers Net is a good place to ask perch questions too, there are quite a few very good perch anglers here, particularly Steve Burke (check out his articles on perch fishing - there's a link in his signature).

Try a search too - there were lots of good perch topics in the autumn/winter with loads of useful info.

People hook worms in different ways but I prefer to nip off the end of the tail and hook the worm near the broken end. Nipping off the tail lets out the wormy juices, but it also stops it winding around the hook and masking the point. Apparently hooking through the head can kill it, which you don't want. Alternatively, I break a big worm in two and hook both ends on a size 6.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd back up all that's been said in the support of early striking. The same applies for lip-hooked livebaits with which I do a lot of my Perch fishing.

I use size 4 hooks for livebaits under Chubber floats on running water. I've had the quickest, merest runs on the float, struck and found a Perch of little more than 6 inches having wolfed down a 3 inch bait.

Whilst not quite in the bait inhaling league of the Chub, a perch is very capable of getting it down extremely quickly.

II rarely find a use on my waters for the traditional perch bobber as this creates too much resistance, and resistance is one thing that big perch won't tolerate, even if small perch will.

I use the Drennan Loafer as it's buoyant and sensitive (although not as much as a waggler obviously) - do you use these at all Steve?

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

I use the Drennan Loafer as it's buoyant and sensitive (although not as much as a waggler obviously) - do you use these at all Steve?

James

Only on rivers, never on stillwaters. For why see this article of mine: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net