Braided cast connector breaking

Jim Murray

These days I like to needle knot my leader directly to my fly line

Absolutely - braided loops have come under fire many times - loads of letters complaining about them in Trout and Salmon dating back to many years ago.

The unreliability of braided loops has been discussed on here many times before.

Loop afficianados are welcome to use them, but I will not trust anything other than a needle knot I have made myself.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loop afficianados are welcome to use them, but I will not trust anything other than a needle knot I have made myself.

Think I'm getting confused between the nail & needle knot. I did try the needle knot(where you pierce the core with the needle) before and although it worked it didn't look very robust.

More inclined now to form a permanent loop by some of the methods detailed above. I flyfish mainly from the float tube and if the leader did break it would be awkward to re-tie a needle knot out there.

I did try the needle knot and although it worked it didn't look very robust.

Know what you mean, but I've never had a needle knot bust. In fact after a few seasons' use the fly-line wears out first!

I flyfish mainly from the float tube and if the leader did break it would be awkward to re-tie a needle knot out there.

If the leader breaks it is unlikely to do so at the thickest part, so I would just repair the leader - if it DID break near the knot, then I would snip the needle knot off, attach a new leader with an old fashioned figure-of-eight knot (a sort of modified sheet bend) and complete my session with that (it might be a bit lumpy going through the tip ring but as I said, a breakage at or near the knot has never happened to me) . Make a new needle knot when you get home.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've seen sea anglers use a a variation on a uni knot, but melting the thinker line to form a blob...is that what you mean?

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Never had any braided loops go on me and that's after pulling very hard when snagged.

I've glued the end and used shrink tube though over the joint so it's pretty secure.

Next line I get I'll look for the welded loop type as that seems so much less hassle.

Next line I get I'll look for the welded loop type as that seems so much less hassle.

Think I will do the same since my lines are getting on a bit. Any suggestions as to good brand(with loops) at reasonable price? I use mainly for pike so WF8 or 9.

Edited by Jim Murray

I've seen sea anglers use a a variation on a uni knot, but melting the thinker line to form a blob...is that what you mean?

That is fine and you can connect a shockleader useing the same knot in fact thats what I do , but there is no great science in a needle knot and you dont need the Blob.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Think I will do the same since my lines are getting on a bit. Any suggestions as to good brand(with loops) at reasonable price? I use mainly for pike so WF8 or 9.

My brother got an Airflo intermediate in a 10 or 11wt which had welded loops, looks like it has a braided core and seems to cast pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...
Whatever loop you go for, you should check its integrity before every trip, and on a busy day you could do worse than check it once or twice during the session. Braided loops can have a tendency to hinge which fatigues the fly line/loop junction. I've noticed this especially when using a sleeve to secure the braided loop (These days I like to needle knot my leader directly to my fly line.).

You can whip the braid loop to the fly line or for a smoother effect you use a braided tapered leader and whip that to the line.

Alternatively, Rio manufacture lines with end loops built-in, as do a couple other manufacturers (Orvis for one?).

Talking DIY... There was an article in FF&FT a few seasons back about using shrink tubing and a flame to form your own welded loops....

Hi

Braided loops can be a problem. One of the very neatest, easy and strong loops is - 1. use a whipping tool 2. form a loop in the fly line of about 2" 3. Use 12 lbs nylon and make a whip finish of at least 6 turns 4. Thread line loop into whipping tool and slid whip onto doubled line 5. Repeat again about 1/2" away and trim ends 6. Finish with super glue. I promise you this will not slip! Tarpon fishers are doing this in Florida!

Andros

Hi

Braided loops can be a problem. One of the very neatest, easy and strong loops is - 1. use a whipping tool 2. form a loop in the fly line of about 2" 3. Use 12 lbs nylon and make a whip finish of at least 6 turns 4. Thread line loop into whipping tool and slid whip onto doubled line 5. Repeat again about 1/2" away and trim ends 6. Finish with super glue. I promise you this will not slip! Tarpon fishers are doing this in Florida!

Andros

Sounds feasible...I don't have a whipping tool so could you not just use a standard whipping, i.e. same as used when whipping on rod rings?

Also can this one pass through the tip ring? It sounds fairly bulky.