need to respool ....which lines!

moonlight angler

i was wondering if you could help me deicde which breaing strength lines for each species so i can get general idea :)

tench to about 6Lb

Bream to about 5LB (normal feeder tactics)

Carp to about 15Lb (i usually use method feeder)

roach

ALSO what are your opinions on Daiwa Sensor line ????

any help wuld be great :D

It's a bit more complicated that which species you are after.

3lb line would easily pull a 6lb tench out of a weedless commercial but you wouldn't stand much chance in a weedy wild pond. Similarly if you were fishing for roach on a canal you'd want to fish a lot finer than on a big Scottish loch!

If you aren't sure, the best thing to do is ask people who catch more than you do on your fisheries!

As to line brands, I've always been of the opinion that line is line, so I still tend to use the Bayer Perlon I've been buying for thirty odd years! Hi-tech lines come and go like the weather. A particular brand might be one of the "must have" things to the writers in the comics, but don't forget they get well paid to say that :rolleyes:

i was wondering if you could help me deicde which breaing strength lines for each species so i can get general idea :)

tench to about 6Lb

Bream to about 5LB (normal feeder tactics)

Carp to about 15Lb (i usually use method feeder)

roach

ALSO what are your opinions on Daiwa Sensor line ????

any help wuld be great :D

As Colinw on the strength issue.

I have used Sensor for years for most of my angling needs. It's cheap, strong, relatively abrasion resistant and doesn't coil up like a slinky after it's been on the spool for 5 minutes (but why can't they make something lighter than 3lb b/s? :( ) You'll have to go along way to beat it in my opinion. Perlon's ok for legering but for trotting it's a pig, the original slinky!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As an all round line, I reckon Sensor is pretty hard to beat, regardless of the fact it comes in bulk spools for throwaway money.

I've started using Ultima Power Plus, which has been the bees knees so far. I actually had it recommended as a hooklength material for Tench fishing (even though it's a mainline) but it's fine enough that it doesn't deter small roach etc. If you do use it as hooklength material, it's a bargain. It's about a fiver for 300m. It really does stand up to repeated waggler casting, feeder fishing, spinning double maggots and it doesn't kink, coil, dent or mis-shape in any way that I've noticed. You really have to put a serious session in or land a few carp that have been smashing through weeds etc. to see a need for changing hooklengths. In my mind, all I have to see is how long it's lifespan is. If I'm still using the same spool next year....I'm sold.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yes, Colin speaks wise :) Some more info on the venue(s) would help people give some breaking strain suggestions.

I also love Sensor and use it for everything except trotting (when I prefer a floating mainline).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I also have a lot of faith in Sensor and wouldn't think twice about using it in most situations except for trotting were like Anderoo I like to use a floating line.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes, Colin speaks wise :) Some more info on the venue(s) would help people give some breaking strain suggestions.

I also love Sensor and use it for everything except trotting (when I prefer a floating mainline).

the venues i fish the most are weed free with virtually no snags. however one is quite a rocky bottom.

I have used Sensor for years for most of my angling needs. It's cheap, strong, relatively abrasion resistant and doesn't coil up like a slinky after it's been on the spool for 5 minutes

Funny how line choice seems to be one of those personal things.

I really don't like sensor. It is strong for its diameter but I think it is stiff and does tend to coil. It also seems to be quite prone to line twist.

I tend to use Berkley Big Game. Its strong and abrasion resistant with less memory than sensor and its more supple. Finally despite being a high quality line you can get it for only about a quid or two more than sensor for a bulk spool.

Rich

For my float fishing I swapped over to Berkley Vanish Transition Flourocarbon as its sinks better than mono lines. One thing that really wound me up was trying to get the bloody mono line to sink, even with constant washing up liquid added it would last a few casts and then start floating again.

Floroucarbon is practically invisible under water, its limper and less prone to coiling up and it sinks.

Obviously its no good for trotting but I have used a 10lb floroucarbon line for surface baits quite successfully. I just add some vaseline to the line.

I've been buying it from THIS SELLER on ebay as its a bit hit and miss whether its stocked at my local tackle shop.

There is a difference between Berkley Vanish and Berkley Trilene though. I found the Trilene to coil up like a bugger on the reel and it didnt matter how it was spooled.

Another word of warning - DONT BUY CHEAP LINE! The only thing cheap line is good for is to use as a backing line to fill the spool halfway so you can put a better line on.