need to respool ....which lines!

moonlight angler

Its a bit like most things in angling a personal choice.

I lIke Richard have the berkeley big game for my 10lbs option. Its strong and I can cast a huge heavy feeder with confidence.

For all my other feeder work I have for a few years used tubertini gorilla feeder. Its not got much stretch, is very low diameter, sinks well, and lasts well. I have gained huge confidence in it and this is probably the most important thing. When you find what you like and have confidence in it stick with it.

regards

john

I've always been of the opinion that line is line, so I still tend to use the Bayer Perlon I've been buying for thirty odd years!

Hi-tech lines come and go like the weather.

Yep, for a floating line Perlon is hard to beat. Use it on all my centre pins.

For a line that sinks, and is tough as old boots, I have a lifetime's supply of bulk spools of Maxima from 1lb up to 20 lb, kept in a cool dry dark cupboard, and reload my F/S reels every five years whether they need it or not. :rolleyes:

Keep the spools (in fact ALL monofilament) in a cool dry dark cupboard whenever not in use. A good line will last 50 years in such conditions, although there is plenty of claptrap appearing from time to time about deterioration.

For braid, I have plenty of spools of Power Pro of all strengths - stocked up whenever I visit the States

For seafishing mono 20 lb up to 50 lb I buy Penn lines in bulk (2000 yd spools) from Veales.

Very rarely have any of these lines let me down.

What I do consider important is to discard a few feet of line at the end of each fishing session, it will have suffered damage from split shot, float rubbers, etc etc - by discard, I mean cut it off, coil it up, cut the coil into bits, take it home and bin it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep, for a floating line Perlon is hard to beat. Use it on all my centre pins.

For a line that sinks, and is tough as old boots, I have a lifetime's supply of bulk spools of Maxima from 1lb up to 20 lb, kept in a cool dry dark cupboard, and reload my F/S reels every five years whether they need it or not. :rolleyes:

Keep the spools (in fact ALL monofilament) in a cool dry dark cupboard whenever not in use. A good line will last 50 years in such conditions, although there is plenty of claptrap appearing from time to time about deterioration.

For braid, I have plenty of spools of Power Pro of all strengths - stocked up whenever I visit the States

For seafishing mono 20 lb up to 50 lb I buy Penn lines in bulk (2000 yd spools) from Veales.

Very rarely have any of these lines let me down.

What I do consider important is to discard a few feet of line at the end of each fishing session, it will have suffered damage from split shot, float rubbers, etc etc - by discard, I mean cut it off, coil it up, cut the coil into bits, take it home and bin it.

What Vagabond says about keeping line is true. Kept out of sunlight it will keep for years. I put the spools in those metallic packets that so many snacks come in these days. If the top is sealed with a clamp or rubber band, it is kept in the dark and dry and will last for ever.

My favourite line for spinning or deadbaiting in heavily weeded waters is one that is UV reflective. It glows like a bit of purple cart rope in the sunshine and you can see just where your line is in relation to the reeds etc. For normal ledgering or float fishing any good neutral coloured line is good, though if I am going to fish at long distances I prefer a low stretch line. For bottom bumping at sea, there is nothing better than braided line, though I always use a neutral coloured mono leader of 15 - 20 feet. For lure fishing in the sea, I use some line I was given many years ago. It is a yellow Stren line. I look after it and it has served me well but again I use a neutral coloured leader.

We talked about this recently in another thread regarding 12lb mono....

At the time I said Sensor and Maxima for a decent cost / performance ratio and a lot of people agreed with this. I've used (and am using) both in lighter weights and am happy with both.

Gold Label Pro Gold has also been recommended by the likes of Steve Burke and is available in lighter weights too. I've only used 8-12lbs bs but others I know are really happy with the lighter bs lines.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine