Newbie to this malarkey

Gaffer

A quick critique for you Garth...

First few shots with a nautical flavour you where getting used to handling and changing settings etc, so nothing of any value to say about them.

Kids shots: I like the quirky angles and subject positioning.

Flower shots: Good depth of field, clarity and colour. First bee shot is excellent.

Water shots: I can see you where trying to blur the water here, as you already have filters, look also for a ND filter (neutral density). This filter stops some light getting to your sensor and therefore allows a longer shutter speed, thereby allowing the water to blur, a polarising filter (you already have) can also help untill you get an ND filter, or shooting water at dawn/dusk or in shade or on overcast days.

Your second posting on this topic, I like the first shot...think it works well. I'm not keen on the others in that posting as I'm not a fan of overdone HDR.

All in all, I think you have done a very good job and I think you do have an eye for a shot, as you become more proficient with settings or more confident with them I'm sure your compositional skills will develop naturally...they are already very good.

Well done you !

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

A quick critique for you Garth...

First few shots with a nautical flavour you where getting used to handling and changing settings etc, so nothing of any value to say about them.

Kids shots: I like the quirky angles and subject positioning.

Flower shots: Good depth of field, clarity and colour. First bee shot is excellent.

Water shots: I can see you where trying to blur the water here, as you already have filters, look also for a ND filter (neutral density). This filter stops some light getting to your sensor and therefore allows a longer shutter speed, thereby allowing the water to blur, a polarising filter (you already have) can also help untill you get an ND filter, or shooting water at dawn/dusk or in shade or on overcast days.

Your second posting on this topic, I like the first shot...think it works well. I'm not keen on the others in that posting as I'm not a fan of overdone HDR.

All in all, I think you have done a very good job and I think you do have an eye for a shot, as you become more proficient with settings or more confident with them I'm sure your compositional skills will develop naturally...they are already very good.

Well done you !

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your constructive criticism, much appreciated. :thumbs:

I totally agree with the overdone HDR, but you know what it's like when you find something new...! I've since made my bracketing setting more subtle and I'm getting a far more natural look as well as trying harder to achieve the natural look, with the added drama, using Photomatix, if that makes sense.

Like many things, the more I learn the more I realise there's even more to learn! I'm getting there slowly and trying not to rush things.

One thing that photography has taught me though - when looking at everything as a potential photo opportunity - is all the little details in life that were passing me by (cloud shapes, shadows, lines, and all other manner of compositions).

And another thing I really must sort out is the 2/3rds rule, which I forget every time!!!!!!! :headhurt:

Cheers,

Garth.

I'll sort out the rule of thirds for you in two words..."Forget it", go with your instinct, compose what you like, how you like.

The rule of thrids (to my mind anyway) is a rule that explains when some good photos are good, if you can compose a rule of thirds shot then it will be pleasing to the eye...but why constarin yourself to that? You may find yourself not taking a shot because they dont line up to the rule of thirds. Break the rules, make your own up and shoot what you like...simples!

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet