Renault Dci blown turbo.

darrell.cook

Have to say I'm gutted. Wife was driving our Scenic DCi today and it seems the Turbo went. Result clouds of black smoke, she pulled in switched off but the engine kept racing, probably feeding on it's own oil.

Asking round seems it's quite common - it's only done 33K !!

Repairs will probably run into thousandes - god knows how I'll pay for that.

Any advice, knowledge, etc. gratefully received.

Hya, not much help but it's also happend to 2 of the works Clio's at about the same mileage. Thankfully they have both been coverd by the warinty :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Darrel - If you are a member of the AA or RAC contact them as they usually have info as to how many of these 'malfunctions' have happened and confront the manufacturers. This usually results in recalls, or at the very least a large subsidy to do the repair.

Worth a try, at least!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

No way should an engine blow @33K, Therefore the car was not 'fit for purpose' when under warranty & not fit now!

Same with TV's and anything else, if it fails 'short' of a reasonably expected lifetime ask for it to be fixed or replaced.

Unfortunately 'reasonable lifetime' is tricky to set - have a look on motor & legal sites for what the current situation is.

I got a new Ford engine @80K when car was 3 1/2 years old. (free engine - paid 50% for fitting - car was always main dealer serviced).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Pretty much how I feel Tog. Anybody have any views on legal standing etc.

Car is just over 3 years old, outside of warranty and has had one main dealer service - that being the only one required. Service intervals 18K. ( Personally I think this may be part of the problem )

If it's just the turbo thats gone then you should be able to get one fitted for about £1000, depends if it's done anything to the rest of the engine.

33k is below average miles and it's been dealer serviced so you should have a bit of a claim on them. See what your local dealer says and if you don't get anywhere with them, write to Renault and tell them it all.

Tell them that you had been really happy with the car upto that point but feel that it should last longer than it did.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Darrell

Get a price for your local Renault dealer and then write a letter to Customer Services at Renault and see if they will offer some goodwill towards the cost. Car manufacturers often do if they think you might go to the press, like Honest John in the Saturday Telegraph.

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

darrell if you know anyone who is vat regisered garage owner (don't nead to be renault)get them to stamp your sevice book with relevent info on sevice miles dates etc then renault may consider helping with repair cost due to low mileage good luck

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif