barbel, bait question

Peter M

Hi all i have been barbel fishing before and even had a couple from the river Lea but not for a couple of years. i want to have a go this autum again and would try halibut pellets on a longer hook length in an area i know that does produce.

what i was thinking about is whether it is worth trying sweet bolies like tutti fruity. i never read anything about using sweet bolies when barbel fishing so the answer is probably no its no good, but would like your views.

thanks

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi all i have been barbel fishing before and even had a couple from the river Lea but not for a couple of years. i want to have a go this autum again and would try halibut pellets on a longer hook length in an area i know that does produce.

what i was thinking about is whether it is worth trying sweet bolies like tutti fruity. i never read anything about using sweet bolies when barbel fishing so the answer is probably no its no good, but would like your views.

thanks

I and a few other people have caught barbel on the Trent using Mainlines CELL boilies,,not as sweet as tutties but have a distinct coconut aroma,maybe worth a try..If you do use them try baiting with hemp covered in coconut milk,,that has worked aswell.

I read that a couple of anglers who fish Adams Mill have developed their own creamy coloured sweet flavoured boilee for their own use with which they catch some large Barbel.

I have used Archie Braddocks 'Sugar & Spice' flavour on my luncheon meat on the upper Lea occasionally and caught a few Barbel with it., It smells spicey but tastes fairly sweet so Barbel do take some sweet baits.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I can't see why not. The Barbels' barbules are there to identify/smell/taste (whatever....lol....that's another debate) various nutritional components, so even if something is sweet, the fish should still be aware of the fact the bait is highly nutritional.

Barbel have been caught on strawberry boilies and all kinds of stuff. I don't know if they have a sweet tooth as such but they'll certainly take sweet baits if they identify the food as nutritional.

.....Andy.....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There you go. Straight from the horse's mouth.

(Not that I'm saying you're a horse mind Dave, although there is a slight resemblance....lol)

....andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

thanks for all the repies can't wait to gt my autum barbel adventure up and running, still having my summer carp/chub adventure at the moment and later in the season will have my winter chub, perch and pike adventures.

thanks again.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/