Warwickshire Avon Barbel

bluerinse

Due to a change in my personal life I have not been able to wet a line for 3 months; finally I got out on the Bank on Tuesday.

I went to the River Avon on the Seven Meadows stretch below Stratford, controlled by Stratford Angling Club.

I took my trusted pin and 13 ft float road, a pint and a half of Maggots and a tin of Luncheon meat

I started Long trotting and caught every cast, Roach, Chublet, Minnow, and all manor of tiny Fish, I upped my Hock Size to 14 and fished 3 maggots, the size of the fish improved slightly, then I caught a 1/2lb Barbel, which was really nice to catch, I carried on for an hour more but the Maggots were just catching small fish, I was hoping for some Chub or Barbel.

34gq3ck.jpg

I then went on to meat and hooked something solid first cast, but it snagged me and I had to put free.

After about an Hour I again hooked what could only be a barbel and the merry dance began, What a fight, 15 minuets later I banked a wonderful 9lb 2oz Barbel, which was photoed and returned.

I fished on for 2 more hours but had nothing more.

6s8cv9.jpg

This is a personal best for me from the River Avon so I was made up.

The river had been in perfect nick, little bit of Colour and running at a good pace.

Bloody hell how I enjoyed my days fishing after 3 months.

I feel like I have just discovered fishing again.

Cheers for reading

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Well done on both counts, a beautiful fish :clap2:

Funny how a bit of peace and quiet doing what you enjoy in pleasant surroundings can put things in perspective. Nice reel too, might add one to my ever growing collection.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Fantastic catch Bluerinse,

Did the barbel come on the float too?

I'm a member of SAA too and am slowly exploring their waters this season for the first time.

Looking forward to trying Severn Meadows shortly, and now, with ren-weed vigour that I may be able to catch barbel there on my float rod and 'pin?

Fingers crossed

JP

Fantastic catch Bluerinse,

Did the barbel come on the float too?

I'm a member of SAA too and am slowly exploring their waters this season for the first time.

Looking forward to trying Severn Meadows shortly, and now, with ren-weed vigour that I may be able to catch barbel there on my float rod and 'pin?

Fingers crossed

JP

Yes it came on the float, I was long troting just below the wear (second peg) on the second Medow, the fish took at the junction were the boat lock cuts of from the river

Its a good swim and often occupied, the baliff told me no one had fished it for over a week which is unusal. Its a gravle bottom mid river about 4 foot deep.

Good luck

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"