Your thoughts please

jimpy0

Being a little on the large size [ ok ok the XXL size ] when fishing from my box or carp chair my pants tend to go one way and my jacket jumper etc the other.

Also getting on in years so the cold tends to bother me, esp with the medical probs.

Anyhoo cutting to the chase am looking to purchase a bib+brace set to cover the gap at the back :lol: and to extend my fishing season further into the colder months.

Would like some thoughts on pro's con's from those who already use said items, and any brands to stay clear of.

Thanks Jim

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

A one-piece suit will solve the problem completely.

I currently use (for winter) a bib and brace combined with a long jacket and I have to say I preferred the one-piece I used before.

When the current gear has expired I'll be looking for another one-piece suit.

I got caught out by the weather early this year (on Esthwaite), totally misread how the weather would turn out, and ended up soaking and as miserable as a winter pike angler can be. Fortunately that place has a shop and I bought this set...

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/clothi...akespeare/1517/

I stripped off all my wet outerclothes, spent 20 mins with the car heater blowing then put this suit on with very little underneath and got back afloat and fished the rest of the day warm and in relative comfort. I don't know if (your) size would make much difference. I am quite petite (size 10/12).

The all in one sounds a good idea if you know its going to be awful weather all the session, but I prefer the suit, the jacket can come off if its fine and the bottoms can be left on protecting one from wet boat seats/banks.

It works for me anyway, yet it took unusual circumstances to buy it in the first place.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

A few years ago I started to suffer from the same problem when static winter fishing although not so much when roving the river. I tried an all in one but found it restrictive and also difficult to cool off when it got a bit hot. After looking at all sorts I finally bought a Sundrige igloo suit which comprises of a bib and brace which comes high up the back and a long jacket with a removeable fleece lining and a superb detachable hood. Although fairly expensive at the time of buying, it has been superb especially for static fishing in fact it can get too warm and in winter I often just wear the bib and brace with a light waterproof jacket over a couple of fleeces. I dont know whether Sundrige are still going but they often did some excellent deals for a suit with a pair of hot foot boots thrown in. Worth investigating.

Being a little on the large size [ ok ok the XXL size ] when fishing from my box or carp chair my pants tend to go one way and my jacket jumper etc the other.

Also getting on in years so the cold tends to bother me, esp with the medical probs.

Anyhoo cutting to the chase am looking to purchase a bib+brace set to cover the gap at the back :lol: and to extend my fishing season further into the colder months.

Would like some thoughts on pro's con's from those who already use said items, and any brands to stay clear of.

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim

I bought a suit which at first I thought was so big and heavy that I'd never wear it. But as the rain continued to fall on our holiday I thought I'd be going home without catching anything so decided to grin and bear it with the suit. Hey, 6hrs later and still bone dry inside my bib and brace and jacket helped me catch a 22lb 14oz common. If I'd not worn the suit I wouldn't have caught the fish!! At first I thought the suit was too heavy and felt like a spaceman walking in it but after a short time I got used to it. Yes it kept my aging body very warm. The suit was a Ron Thompson I think and was well worth the money (I bought it in a sale).

Hope this helps.

Sue

XXL? your nigh on anorexic man!

Getting good fishing clothes that fit is a nightmare isnt it? the manufacturers dont seem to understand that most 20stone+ people arnt 7' tall!

I get a lot of stuff from the US so its no problem getting "real" mans sizes in most things.

I used to love one piece suits when I was lighter the old "Stephens of Birmingham" being my favourite but these days find a bib and brace with a sepperate jacket combo easier.A bit more flexability and a lot easier to put a jacket on/take it off in a boat than the one piece.The bib and brace eliminates the gap problem.

I did once get a tailor made to measure quilted one pece from a UK firm which was very good and fits great (obviouisly not water proof) but have lost the contact details,I will try to find them (may be something on the suit).Very reasonable price as well.

Biggest problem Ive found is getting a pair of light weight waterproof over trousers that will fit.Jackets no problem.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have a one piece sundridge suit but its the old one and non breathable great when you're sitting and not moving but when you start to move and warm up a bit it gets too hot and tou can damp off inside the suit due to moisture retention so make sure you get the breatheable version

Thanks Jim

I can recomend the wynchwood bib and brace, this was one of the only one's that accomadated the right leg lenth that when i sat down it did not cut off my meat and two veg. I did not know how hard it could be to find one that fits as i'm 5'9 and 12 stone. most of all and i think all will agree a good set of skitech boots are a must for winter

Thanks Jim